1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
DelayedPenalty
DelayedPenalty New Reader
8/21/12 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Anti-stance:

Haha, ok! I just remembered I used a few decals from another storefront, so I'll have to take those off and/or trace them before I can send.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
8/21/12 1:53 p.m.

Anti-Stance,

your theme for your IT7 race car

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
8/21/12 4:06 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Anti-Stance, your theme for your IT7 race car

I couldn't find a picture of him moaping around the paddock.

DelayedPenalty
DelayedPenalty New Reader
8/21/12 7:19 p.m.

Anti-Stance,

Favorite color?

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
8/21/12 9:12 p.m.

Blue or Green

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
8/21/12 9:29 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Anti-Stance, your theme for your IT7 race car

What about you, Ferrari Boy? Have you procured housing/xBox/net connection yet? Kinda miss ya in the paddock, bro.

Obligatory Rude Aside about Mr. Taxfail: He should have listened to L. Ron, and started a religion instead. Hey, it worked for Rael..

http://www.rael.org/rael/?racer

OTOH, it says that since his final retirement, he plays LFS. Berkeleying poseur...

Geekspeed
Geekspeed Reader
8/21/12 10:55 p.m.

Oh, good call about the prepaid cards. I had not even thought of those. I will get one tomorrow.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
8/22/12 8:09 a.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado:

I need to get an Xbox asap! All these threads with new race series starting up is giving me that itch again.

My dad use to compete against Rael years ago in, I wanna say, IMSA in 1996. He said that guy was a whack-job.

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
8/22/12 3:22 p.m.
racerfink wrote:

1986? Daytona or Sebring? Tommy Kendall, Bob Reed and John Hogdal?

friedgreencorrado
8/22/12 3:32 p.m.

In reply to RoadRaceDart :

Hmm. That place looks like it's got some elevation change in the background. I think you nailed the car, but not the track.

Aside: First time I ever worked turn 6 at Rd.Atl. was for the 86 IMSA. At the time the Worker Station was about 10ft. above the track. I could look down inside the car and watch Tommy working it. It was one of those "So that's why I'm standing out here all day!" moments.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
8/22/12 4:05 p.m.

Man, I'd love to get into corner working non-NASA events at RA.

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
8/22/12 6:50 p.m.

Bob Reed is a friend of mine, I knew he raced IMSA in the '80's. Then it pinged in my brain that he raced Mazdas! So, look for new livery soon but with 44 on the door instead of his number 17 (unless it's still available...)

http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery2/v/1986/IMSA/GT/86IMSA-129.jpg.html

friedgreencorrado
8/22/12 7:16 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote: Man, I'd love to get into corner working non-NASA events at RA.

Once I get back on my feet financially, you're welcome to come with me anytime. It will cost you an SCCA membership, though. IIRC, we offer "temporary memberships" for new workers on club race weekends just like we do at our autoXs. Yeah, it's not as exciting as it was back when we were also First Responders, but you still get to see/do some cool stuff. At Petit last year, I was cross-track (infield side) at 12..I was able to stand at a spot where I could actually hear the engines of the Audis & Peugeots as they went past. As long as they came through by themselves..

Here's a pic, see that worker right at the tailgate of the IMSA response truck? Yeah. Standing right there.

I was talking about Steve the other day..Cap'n let him sit on the wall at T7 during a FCY. Figured if anyone realizes the dangers, it'd be Steve (google the Goodwood accident where he lost his leg). Notice the proximity of the Lizard in the background..

Of course, Steve's license is from his own club in the UK, and is FIA approved. IIRC, NASA isn't yet part of ACCUS, so their flagging licenses might not carry over. SCCA does, I've got friends who have actually worked Le Mans.

FL;DR: probably not enough time to get you there this year, but I can help you do it eventually!

friedgreencorrado
8/22/12 7:22 p.m.
RoadRaceDart wrote: In reply to friedgreencorrado: Bob Reed is a friend of mine, I knew he raced IMSA in the '80's. Then it pinged in my brain that he raced Mazdas! So, look for new livery soon but with 44 on the door instead of his number 17 (unless it's still available...) http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery2/v/1986/IMSA/GT/86IMSA-129.jpg.html

Cool! I never met him personally, but tell him an old Corner Worker remembers him.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
8/22/12 7:24 p.m.

I refuse to flag for NASA, I am a grid worker. But I would like to flag for actual race events not just track days with a couple of races sprinkled in.

I have seen your friend a Petit once or twice. He is a pretty popular guy. Is he involved with that "corner worker trade" program I had heard about between Petit and La Sarthe?

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
8/22/12 7:29 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
RoadRaceDart wrote: In reply to friedgreencorrado: Bob Reed is a friend of mine, I knew he raced IMSA in the '80's. Then it pinged in my brain that he raced Mazdas! So, look for new livery soon but with 44 on the door instead of his number 17 (unless it's still available...) http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery2/v/1986/IMSA/GT/86IMSA-129.jpg.html
Cool! I never met him personally, but tell him an old Corner Worker remembers him.

I'll let him know He's a Dentist in bakersfield now. Does driving instruction once in a while at Willow Springs for the noob's at track days. He's heavy into Mopars now and is on the MOPAX and BOG lists (yahoo email groups).

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
8/22/12 8:18 p.m.

So, we racing Friday? Or are we giving it another week for people to get their E36 M3 together?

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
8/22/12 9:05 p.m.

I have a baseline tune pretty well hammered out. Hopefully I just need a little tweaking for each new track. Funny part is from the rough guess I just tossed on the car after building it, through a few hours of tuning, my end result is only a tenth or two quicker than the rough guess. It did get slower in the middle of the process, but this final version is much easier to drive and be consistent with.

So, yeah I'm good with this Friday. I take it we are sticking to Fridays, then? Good, 'cause Saturday next week I would have to skip, but Friday I can do.

friedgreencorrado
8/22/12 9:37 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote: I refuse to flag for NASA, I am a grid worker. But I would like to flag for actual race events not just track days with a couple of races sprinkled in. I have seen your friend a Petit once or twice. He is a pretty popular guy. Is he involved with that "corner worker trade" program I had heard about between Petit and La Sarthe?

The "trade" isn't so much a program as it is the effect of Dr. Don pinning the resuscitation of professional sportscar racing in the US to the ACO's rules for the 24hr back in the 1990s. Part of the deal was that the "Petit Le Mans" would conform to the same rules as the real Le Mans, not only for cars, but including FIA flagging (which is quite different from US rules). In return, the class winners of the event would have an automatic entry to Le Mans, without having to pre-qualify.

I met my European marshal friends back in the day because they wanted to work the "pre-season", even if they had to fly to the US to do it.

Stuff's pretty confused at the moment..the "World Endurance Championship" has a race at Bahrain too close to PLM for teams to attend (originally, it was on the same weekend, but the FIA changed the schedule), but the ELMS teams want to come over here for that shot at escaping pre-qualifying for Le Mans. Weird thing..the eternal battle between the FIA and the ACO raised it's ugly head this year.

http://www.motorsport.com/lms/news/combined-final-for-the-elms-and-the-alms/

Sorry about the length, and the hijacked thread, everyone!

Stance, cut me a PM. You want to work, we'd love to have you. Geez, we need you. We're all getting a lot older, and we're having a lot of problems finding our replacements. You won't get to officiate at the Super Bowl your first time out, but if you work enough high school or college games first, you'll get there.

KrankyKoot
KrankyKoot None
8/22/12 9:57 p.m.

If its not too late I would like #99.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
8/22/12 10:08 p.m.

Dude, I have worked for all of my track time so far so I am used to the track weekend stuff. Not looking for PLM or Mitty or ARRC or anything. Just something to do on the weekend. But as with you, I need to get in a better financial situation just to afford the gas to get to RA.

friedgreencorrado
8/23/12 6:24 p.m.
KrankyKoot wrote: If its not too late I would like #99.

KK, Gamertag? I need it to edit the GRMnym vs. GTag post. Helps us find each other for practice, and get the race started a little sooner.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
8/23/12 6:38 p.m.

NOOOO!!!! Whimper, sniffle, bummer dude. I had a nice tune going for Infineon around a second faster than my baseline tune, and I could swear I'd saved it, but apparently not. There goes about an hour's work. At least my baseline tune still appears to be fairly quick at around a 1:52.6.

friedgreencorrado
8/23/12 6:41 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: My dad use to compete against Rael years ago in, I wanna say, IMSA in 1996. He said that guy was a whack-job.

Whoa. Rael really believes that stuff? I thought he was just selling snake oil to go racing!! I kind of had a jealous "admiration" for the guy, in a Jesse James or Ned Kelly kind of way. Hey, at least Rael didn't shoot anyone.

It's like discovering that he's not car guy PT Barnum, but just car guy Jimmy Swaggart instead.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
8/23/12 7:53 p.m.

So schedule is posted. We're starting this Friday, and continuing each week with a break on September 7th for SCCA Solo Nationals.

If you have a problem with that you can get over it, or you can punch yourself in the balls and reflect on the fact that if you'd just have gotten over it, you wouldn't have had to punch yourself in the balls.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
20ysDFK5HLq6vWH73457ozxWdskaVo90onlBvf78tounQGwUKUM7QVEZGmDRHNIG