Erich
Erich UltraDork
7/11/18 7:01 a.m.

Lookin at a 2005 Sienna for basic family transport. It has 115k miles. Any basic issues I should be on the lookout for? Timing belt? 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/11/18 7:31 a.m.

Timing belt and if the automatic doors work.  Seat heaters like to die a quick death. 

I bought one at 160k and drove it to 197k.  Then got a newer one because wife.  Other than that it’s a good car. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/11/18 7:59 a.m.

I have a 2004 that my wife drives. We bought it from a mechanic friend who was flipping it after putting a Jasper Transmission in it.

We've had it a little over 3 years, currently at about a hundred and seventy-five thousand miles. I think it had about 135 on it when we bought it.

It's the base model. No issues with electric doors or seat heaters, cuz it doesn't have them!

It had timing belt water pump etc. all done when we bought it. They also changed out the knock sensor. I was told that was a frequent reason for transmission failure in these vans. It pulls timing really hard on the up shifts, so I suppose that's how it protects the transmission. Shifts have felt a little strange lately, not sure what's going on with it now. Might be time for another knock sensor, I think the transmission's still healthy

We ended up putting some money into the suspension, several bushings needed to be replaced. We also had to repair some vacuum leaks and replace the valve cover gaskets

This has all been the usual stuff you would expect for a vehicle this age.

It's a heavy vehicle, so you're going to go through Tires and Brakes, but it's been pretty reliable.

This one obviously had a hard life, I've never seen so many Stone chips on the Hood. It came pre-dented, so a perfect car for my wife!

I suspect it was driven on dirt or gravel roads, and maybe that's why it needed the suspension work. I vaguely recall that it drove kind of weird in the rear end, which I think they were known for until some bushings were replaced.

You can find a lot of information on Google about these vans, they sold a ton of them. I do notice that I never see one and the local U-Pull-It.

Pretty good vehicle. there's annoying stuff, like the rubber weather stripping and the volume knob on the radio, nothing serious (unfortunately, my wife says).

We were ready to replace it with a newer one, but it hasn't really given us enough of a reason to go through with it.

With my wife's blessing, I spent the money on a Miata for me instead (this could turn into a comment about how great my marriage is).

We might replace it this winter. When I've got the choice, I like to buy used cars between Thanksgiving and New Year's. The theory being that people are focusing on spending money on Christmas.

Edit: I see you live in Ann Arbor, I'm pretty sure that there's going to be some all-wheel drive ones for sale in your area.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/11/18 9:03 a.m.

My transmission always had a goofy 1-2 shift.  It got a little worse over my ownership but never really did anything beyond that. A friend of mine, who works for Toyota, mentioned that they run these vans as nyc taxis to 500k miles regularly on the original trans and engine. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/11/18 9:08 a.m.

We have the same model that we bought used.   We have done nothing other than tires gas and oil at this point.  It has had a couple of quirks.  Not long after we got it, it would make an odd noise coming from the gauge cluster, almost like a bad speedometer drive cable.  But it does it while stopped and I doubt this vehicle has a drive cable.  It doesn't effect the operation, so we ignore it.   It periodically makes an odd noise on the passenger side of the dash that appears to be AC related.  Again it doesn't effect anything.   The AC makes and grinding clicking noise that seems to be quite common and its a servo motor for the AC system.  It supposedly isn't a difficult fix, I just haven't done it.  If you change it to defrost the sound goes away.  The sound is annoying.  Lastly, the passenger sliding door would periodically not work.  This is a well known problem that appears to focus more on the cable than the motor itself.   Our problem seems to be the parking switch isn't engaging.  It hasn't done it in quite a while.  Fuel mileage isn't great, but it is well worth it for the carrying capacity.   The dealer told us the timing belt and plugs had been done, but we all know that is a lie.  The rear plugs will be a bitch. 

I would buy another in a heartbeat.                      

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/11/18 11:45 a.m.

I wasn't specific. When I do replace my sienna, it will be another Sienna.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
7/11/18 11:52 a.m.

seems to be transmission and automatic doors that have caused our family friends issues with Siennas.  

failboat
failboat UberDork
7/11/18 1:05 p.m.

Good info. Im also looking pretty hard at 2nd gen siennas within the next year.  07 and up got ~30hp more and the motor has a timing chain. 

Erich
Erich UltraDork
7/11/18 1:30 p.m.

Gonna be hard to pass this one up. 

Anybody want a lifted Volvo 740 and/or first gen Fit?

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson New Reader
7/11/18 2:48 p.m.

Wife drives a 2004 Sienna, we bought it with 137,000 miles now has 215,000.  Been from central MO to Florida several times over the years, last time this past March.  Just spent $1,800 to fix a/c issues, guess she's going to keep driving it.  No other issues except it eats tires.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
7/11/18 3:24 p.m.

Sold before I could get there. Thanks anyway hive

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gcUWvyMtFtTAaAHo2i7aw2e9wIwkfj9Nm9C3Kb0m1Cpt6Dp5WJkin5ppPhJ8NzKI