1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/21/17 12:30 p.m.

A friend once said that he paints his houses with a checkbook. I have painted houses before and don't mind it, but I get where he's coming from.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
6/21/17 1:58 p.m.

No to the oil changes because I don't want to tote the waste oil container to the recycle center. Most things related to coolant because I hate the smell and don't want to dispose of old coolant either.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/17 2:05 p.m.

I'll sell a car before I patch brake lines again.

I'm in a strange position with this. I want and try to do more and more of my own work, but I hate working on gravel so much and can't afford concrete that I'm getting picky. This is mostly leading to deferred maintenance.

Transmission and differential fluid changes I get done at the shop, so when someone screws up they can pay for a replacement, but I'm doing more parts swapping on my own.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
6/21/17 2:07 p.m.

I know I'm old at 54, and by my comments in the new CTR thread... For the past 10 years my rule has been I do nothing on the daily driver, it goes to someone else for everything. Not only am I lazy on a lot of that now, but it leaves good records for the next owner when I decide to sell.

On the toys, I pretty much try to do most of that myself.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/21/17 2:46 p.m.

Everything but welding i do myself, its pretty easy when i do the maintnence stuff for a paycheck and i can use the shop and equipment to do my own stuff. The only thing on any of our cars i didnt do was the recall work for my wifes saturn. That took 3 trips for them too get right.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
6/21/17 3:48 p.m.

I pretty much do everything on the race car because I'm not time limited. I do most the maintenance on the Cayenne, more complicated stuff goes to the dealer, where I'm friends with the service writer and the tech.

I was having the local Toyota Indy to the oil changes on my wifes SUV, as for $29 I can hardly do them cheaper myself. But the last one they totally F'ed up and I'm never going back there again.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
6/21/17 3:58 p.m.

I do everything except transmission rebuilds. I have neither the time, tools, or patience to tackle that can of worms. As for everything else, I simply do not trust anyone to do the job properly. You know you're old when you can remember setting points in the distributor.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/17 4:17 p.m.

At this point in my life, it's not a age thing (I'm 49) or a money thing. I could drive new, under warranty, cars if I wanted to and never have to touch them, but that would bore me to tears. So, I drive old stuff that needs TLC. Everything I own could use a little work and the best part of a Saturday morning is walking outside and deciding what I want to do for the day. It could be anything from working on SanFord to the Abomination, to changing the oil in the Jeep or helping my daughter work on her car.

For the most part, I enjoy working on things, big and small. Vegging out on a weekend isn't for me. I'd much rather be doing something constructive.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/17 4:50 p.m.

It depends on the mood I'm in. I don't think I've done three oil changes in the last 5 years. The local oil change place is usually within $15 of buying the oil & filter and includes a wash. It's easier to let the girl there do it and read the paper. Brakes I do myself, I just did struts on the wife's car and anything I don't feel like doing I take to a good shop owned by a family friend.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/17 6:11 p.m.

I'm sending my truck to the Toyota dealer for a new transmission filter and fluid change. I just don't feel like dealing with the mess and aggravation.

I built my own house, and was involved at every step of the way, from clearing the lot, to framing, roofing, installing the windows, doors, cabinets, sinks and toilets, and the final trim work. I paid someone to insulate the house and went to Florida while they were doing it. I hate that E36 M3.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
6/22/17 10:32 a.m.

Old at 54?. Come on.

I do oil changes, brakes, rotate my tires any small items.

Tomorrow my Fiesta is going to the dealer for NYS inspection, find missing part of seat belt, it is in the rear and never used till last Sunday. I am not sure how the seat cushion comes out, so. I also have had a rattle in my drivers door, now I hear something sliding when I accelerate or brake. The door panel looks more complicated to remove than what I am used to.

These are things I would normally do, but. I need to get a service manual.

failboat
failboat UberDork
6/22/17 11:09 a.m.

Replace leaky Trans cooler and new trans fluid is on the to-do list for my Mazda5...by that I mean, paying a shop to do it. Not really cheap but wayyy less hassle for me.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
6/22/17 8:43 p.m.

Would do even more if I had a decent san tool...no A/C cuz of a lack of proper evacuation equipment....pretty much everything else unless working mega overtime and SWMBO needs wheels quick.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
6/22/17 11:23 p.m.

Haven't had a steady income for quite a few months but it'll start to average out to $600 a week with the occasional $7/800 week. So yeah, what's a mechanic again? If anything gets beyond me my little E36 M3-boxes will be offered here for damn near free to a good home.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k5E1PDWUnL6QeWVZF957UafkVbZqoXywuNT4Miw11o4p8znxK7bcBZ0qjshxJDMg