AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
11/11/18 10:01 a.m.

Pick a person who served in the military that inspired you. Tell us a little about them.

I have too many to choose from, but one small, humble man stands out as a giant among my heroes. I was privileged to sit with him for lunch back in 2000.

https://youtu.be/9Cx7KKETbko

A short summary of his service:

Twenty-six years before receiving the Medal of Honor for his actions in Vietnam, Michael J. Novosel flew his first combat mission as a U.S. Army Air Corps B-29 pilot during World War II.  He piloted one of the B-29s the flew over the surrender ceremonies in Tokyo on September 2, 1945. After the war, he reverted to the USAF Reserve.  He was recalled to serve again in Korea, then again reverted to USAF Reserve status. The Air Force would not accept his return to duty for the war in Vietnam,  so (aged in his 40s) he joined the Army as a Warrant Officer, thinking that he would train new pilots. Instead, he was assigned to fly medevac. He evacuated over 5,000 wounded during two combat tours, including his son who also served as a medevac pilot. He received the Medal of Honor for repeatedly returning to a hot LZ to extract injured even after he was injured himself, by enemy fire. When Mike Novosel retired in 1985, he was the last World War II aviator still on active duty.

Now laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/mjnovoselsr.htm

/Respect.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/11/18 10:05 a.m.

This gentleman just passed away a few weeks ago.  He was from my home town. I didn't know him well, but had talked with him several times. He had quite a military career.

His brother Pat (mentioned in the obit) was a career military man as well - he flew 100 missions in an F-84 during the Korean War, and went on later to fly both the U-2 in missions over Cuba and the SR-71 over Vietnam.

---

Many filmmakers have tried to recreate the chaos of World War II, but Walter Halloran captured the real thing through his camera lens.

Halloran rushed into heavy gunfire with his camera to document the first wave of soldiers storming Omaha Beach on D-Day, capturing some of the only surviving footage of that historic event. As a U.S. Army photographer, he would go on to film some of the most significant moments of the war — from the Battle of the Bulge to the liberation of Buchenwald concentration camp.

The Chatfield native, who had been living in Edina, died in his sleep Oct. 18. He was 95.

Three years after graduating from high school, a 20-year-old Halloran jumped into the war on the beaches of Normandy armed with a 35mm camera, a pistol and two carrier pigeons strapped to his pack.

Like many soldiers that day, Halloran was seasick after a night floating on the English Channel due to a delay of the battle. And one of his pigeons drowned when he entered the water, limiting his ability to rush film back to England.

But Halloran pressed on into the German fusillade.

“Once on the beach, you could not stop! If you did, you were a beautiful target,” Halloran told Minnesota Monthly in 2014. “I turned around and faced the sea and I started to film guys coming in [while lying] on my belly.”

His shots from that day often appear in films about the war, partly because a duffel bag of film collected from other D-Day photographers was accidentally dropped in the English Channel. “ You’d like to be able to say, ‘Well get on the beach, turn around and start shooting film,’ ” said his brother Patrick Halloran. “But it wasn’t that simple. You had to survive.”

Halloran grew up on a farm in Chatfield, attending a one-room schoolhouse and later riding a horse 6 miles to high school. Seeking something bigger, Halloran hitched a ride with a relative to Los Angeles.

He soon landed an unlikely job shooting glamour photos of celebrities at Max Factor — a cosmetics company.

“I didn’t know what [Max Factor] was. I thought it was a factory and I came from a farm and I thought, ‘If it’s equipment, I can operate it,’ ” Halloran said in a recent interview with a British historian.

He then volunteered to be a photographer for the Army and, after being approved by a board that included Ronald Reagan, received training at nearby Hollywood studios.

The Army sent Halloran and his team to significant battles. He earned a Silver Star for saving a fellow soldier’s life at the Battle of Saint Lô . Later he would film the Battle of the Bulge and Americans crossing the Rhine River at the Battle of Remagen , a major Nazi defeat.

In 1945, Halloran’s commander ordered them to Weimar, Germany, where troops had come upon the Buchenwald concentration camp. Halloran remembered seeing piles of naked bodies on carts, intended for the crematorium.

“We were hardened by years of combat,” Halloran recalled in a 2007 Star Tribune article. “But nothing, nothing prepared us for the brutality — the sights, sounds and smells — we found there.”

Images of the war stayed with him.

“He was fighting the war up until his last night alive,” said his daughter Susan Halloran. “He would wake up and just say, ‘Oh my god I had another dream .’ ”

Halloran was awarded a Purple Heart and remained in the military after World War II, serving as an officer in the Korean and Vietnam wars. The French government recognized Halloran with the Legion of Honor medal in 2007.

He spent several decades in Rochester, working as a stockbroker and flying small airplanes in his spare time.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/11/18 10:34 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I'm familiar with Halloran's story, just like all of us are familiar with his work. Excellent choice for this discussion.

Thank you.

Floating Doc
11/11/18 10:49 a.m.

My grandfather, WWI and WWII. I've been posting about him a few times in the past days.

Forgive me if you keep encountering my posts and you might be getting tired of them.

I'll try and distill it down to the most important part. He was wounded by machine gun, captured the machine gun crew.

What defines him was that he then saved that German gun crew's lives as they were surrendering and about to be bayonetted. 

His focus, intensity, work ethic and powerful integrity have always been a guiding Beacon for me.

This is his military ID photo, taken after being released from the hospital and prior to redeployment to the front.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/11/18 11:13 a.m.

I'd like to tell you about Ralph Knox.

When I got out of the Air Force in 98 I moved back to the small town in South Carolina that I had move from years before at 16.  I soon found a job working 3rd shift as a temp in the Bosch factory.  Like most small factory towns there's always a bar or two that opens at 7am for the 3rd shift workers.

I walked into one of those bars after work one morning and sat beside an older gentleman as I ordered my beer.  I guess my time away had erased some of my accent because the gentleman turned towards me and gruffly said "You ain't from around here are you?". I explained that actually I was and by telling him the schools I had attended convinced him I was ok.

Ralph and I struck up a friendship and I found out that he had served in World War II.  Not only had he served but he survived the Bataan Death March and was a POW in Japan.  One day when I came in he told me that he had something for me. He handed me a book he had written about his experience.

Ralph passed on 10 years ago the 25th of this month.

Never forget.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/11/18 11:32 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

My hero has to be my father. WW2 combat Vet. Landed in the south of France.  Served as a scout, usually behind the lines. Only man to survive a night attack and bring news of a German ambush. Received a field promotion to officer from corporal.  Later demoted back to private for dating the CO’s girlfriend. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/11/18 11:33 a.m.

How a War Hero is responsible for my learning car restoration....

There was this guy:

John Robert OsbornVC (2 January 1899 – 19 December 1941) was a Canadian soldier. Osborn is a recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.

Robert had a son Gerry Osborne, Who followed his Dad into the military and had quite the career himself.   I came to know Gerry and his family as good customers of mine when I ran a brewery.  One of the things I learned is that they had a Bugeye Sprite that Gerry had bought for his wife Lilian way back in 1961.  The other thing that I learned is that Gerry had his Dad's Victoria Cross medal hanging in his den.  I also knew( from news articles on the subject)  that he had turned down a six figure offer for the medal from a memorabilia collector. For some reason, that impressed me.

So, I bugged them for the bugeye for about 8 years.  But the family loved that car and were going to "Restore it when the money became available". This is something that would have been in reach had he sold the medal.  So, wanting to do something nice for a deserving family, and also embark on learning car restoration ( never welded at this stage of my life) I made an offer: I will restore the car and you can buy it back for the sum or the parts receipts when it is done.

So Gerry agreed and off we went.

We lost Gerry about 2/3 of the way in to the project. But his daughter Dawn was determined to have the car back in the family.

So it came to pass, after two generations of selfless service to the country, I was able to do something nice for such a deserving family. Took me ten years to get the job done, but Lil and her 'Lil  car that she got as a birthday present in 1962 while living on a military base in the Canadian prairies, were reunited.  She got about 4 years of use out of the restored  car before she joined Gerry once again.

As you reflect on the Heroes of wars gone by, take a sec to reflect on the families they leave at home; Lil was an amazing military wife with stories of her own. 

Floating Doc
11/11/18 1:12 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
11/11/18 1:13 p.m.

My dad escaped abject poverty of rural louisiana  in 1949.  Enlisted in army by lying about his age at 15. It was a big kid. 6 foot 3 and 200 lb . Shipped off to Korea shortly thereafter. Was wounded there and listed as m i a p o w for a brief period. He and a fellow GI ultimately made their way back to their unit but not before he was wounded by Machine Gun fire again more seriously. Received a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star among other commendations for that encounter. While it Walter Reed recovering oh, the military discovered he was only 16 and he was mustard out of the military. Turned 17 2 weeks later and reenlisted.

Retired with twenty-three years  as a CSM(at age 38) after two tours in Vietnam. As a special forces Green Beret was wounded twice in his Vietnam service. Received another pair of purple hearts, another Bronze Star and a silver star.

Never talked about his experience in the military. And didn't have an ego wall at home. Very stoic and quiet about any of his military service. He was a tough Taskmaster but I am better for it.

Floating Doc
11/11/18 2:08 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Command sergeant major. Four purple hearts, two bronze Stars and a silver star.

Wow!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
11/11/18 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Only 3 ph.  Korean bronze star for valour...vietnam bronze star for meritorious service.  

Give you an idea of how modest he was. We didn't even know this evening was taken prisoner in Korea and escaped. Or any of the details around why he was given medals for Valor. He just never spoke of it. Even 50 years after serving. He kept all of his medals and ribbons in a Ziploc plastic bag in his desk. We didn't even find out about this stuff until after he died. We knew about the accommodations but didn't know the details

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/11/18 3:02 p.m.

My great grandfather served in WWI

My Grandfather served in WWII

My father and uncle served in Vietnam

I served in Desert Storm

Today I work at the VA hospital and try my best to ask each veteran I encounter about his or her service.  I’ve met survivors of Bataan, Pearl Harbor, The Battle of the Bulge, POW camps, and so many more.

Floating Doc
11/11/18 3:15 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

"Thank you for your service."

That seems so inadequate when trying to convey my level of respect and gratitude.

Thank you especially for your continued work with the veterans.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
11/11/18 3:16 p.m.

"Never forget"

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/11/18 5:21 p.m.

You should document these men’s stories.  

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/18 9:04 a.m.

I'm a little late to the game, but here goes.   And it is with deep respect to all who have served our country, and I salute you all.

My Dad.

Battle field commission after the Battle of  Kasserine Pass.  Silver Star, Bronze star with V, Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Clusters,  E-A-ME Campaign medal with 5 battle stars and 2 Arrowheads.  He also received The Croix de Guerre with Palm, as well as the British 8th Army Medal.   

He was a simple, humble man, who worked hard, raised a big family, and never really talked about his Service.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/12/18 10:06 a.m.

I don't have much veteran history in my family, but a couple gems:

My grandfather served in WW2 and didn't see a lot of combat, but he did find an 8mm Mauser in the mud and shipped it home in pieces.  It is now in my gun safe and I have carried it in the woods for more hours than I can remember.  He passed away of old age in 2003

My close family friend served in the Korean War behind enemy lines in the North with the CIA and eventually was Dwight Eisenhower's personal bodyguard with the Secret Service.  He passed away about 10 years ago of a suspected heart attack.

My father was drafted for Vietnam and was prepared to go, but knee injuries caused them to reject him.

My ex father in law was a Marine in Vietnam and volunteered to take his brother's place in the draft.  His brother had just had a daughter so he went so his brother could stay a dad.  Pretty noble.  He is alive and well.

To all who served or currently serve, thank you.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/12/18 3:39 p.m.

My maternal grandfather was army stationed in the Philippines before Pearl Harbor.  He was left behind after the withdrawal. I don’t think he ever told anyone his story. 

BenB
BenB Reader
11/12/18 3:58 p.m.

My wife’s grandfather. He was with Patton’s Third Armored Division the whole time they were on the continent. We visited him back in the ‘80s before my wife and I were married. He suddenly got up, got a map of Europe out, spread it on the coffee table, and started telling me about his wartime experiences, including liberating a concentration camp. Everyone in his family were shocked because he had never said anything about his experiences before. As I’ve mentioned in my post about my own grandfather in WWI, my wife’s grandfather also ended up guarding the Remagen bridge (what was left of it). He passed away a few months after our visit.

My late father. Served in the USAF at Hamilton AFB during the 1960s.

My late uncle, who inspired me to become a pilot. He flew RF-4Cs in Vietnam. Also flew F-89s, F-102s, RB-66s, and F-101s during his career.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
11/12/18 4:07 p.m.

Sidney M. Alpert

October 23, 1917 - February 11, 2018

San Diego Sidney M. "Sid" Alpert, 100, died peacefully on February 11, 2018 in San Diego, California. Sid was born on October 23, 1917 in Bangor, Maine, to Isidor N. and Mary Fine Alpert. He was a graduate of Bangor High School and an alumni of Hebron Academy, Bowdoin College and a graduate of University of Maine. At the outset of WWII, Sid enlisted in the United States Army Air Force. After OCS he served as a B-17 aerial gunnery training officer, flying more than five hundred training flights and surviving two fatal crashes. While stationed in Iowa at the Sioux City Army Air Base he met the love of his life, Sonia Shaffer of Brooklyn, NY, whom he married after a ten day courtship in 1944. After the war, Sid and Sonnie returned to Bangor where they operated Priest Drug, and Broadway Sunset Drug, before moving their family to California in 1969. Sid returned to college where he earned his teaching credential in special education at San Diego State University and taught in the Los Angeles Unified School District until retiring in 1983. Sid and Sonnie returned to San Diego where Sid devoted himself to his passion for family and golf.

Great uncle and a great person all around. Died early this year and I miss him quiet a bit.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/13/18 10:57 a.m.

Both of my Grandfathers served in WW2.:

My moms dad was in North Africa and ended the war in Austria.  He was in a signals unit decoding German radio traffic, which is cool because I ended my Army career in the Signal Corps.

My dads father landed in Normandy with the 4th Infantry Division.  His unit was in some of the hardest fighting on the Western Front and ended the was in Bavaria.

About 16 years ago I was working at a Law firm as an IT person.  One day I was working on a computer for the son of the Guy who had started the firm before WW2.  This gentleman was older and retired but still kept an office and would come in a few days a week.  That day I noticed an old looking map of Western Europe so I asked him about it.  Turns out he was a clerk in an Army Corps HQ in the war and the map showed all of the places he had been.  We talked for an hour or so about it, I thanked him for his service and then left his office.  He passed away not too long after that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
keLyg4vIhvQfl63yC2WO4WQNFqNpclG3oYbEXlzBVw7Z89lBq8etBg6ZNgC6U0JL