1 2
fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/18/18 11:28 p.m.

Not that kind ya sick berkeleys. laugh

Kinda like a concrete form vibrator, but lighter.

Plan is mudding in castable refractory in the keg foundry, so small scale here. Glue 1" Inswool to keg inner. Inner form will likely be a 5 gal. bucket or 10" round cardboard form, so 2-2.5" wall void to fill w/ refractory. Inswool is porous so like to get as much air out as possible as well as settling the castable. It'll get rammed in before vibrating. 

Bolt one of these cheap $35 vibrating electric motors to the plywood base. https://www.amazon.com/Vibrating-Massage-P-Tech-USA-CMC-0249/dp/B076PMCCBS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526701678&sr=8-3&keywords=vibrator+motor&dpID=41N119kRnXL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Or small pneumatic vibrator, could vary speed and is cheaper at $20. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Industrial-type-Pneumatic-compressed-air-power-turbine-wheel-type-vibrator-GT-8/401473913814?hash=item5d79b5c3d6:g:nfoAAOSw4A5YzPPI

Other idea is an old electric motor w/ an eccentric welded to shaft coupling to provide some weeble-wobble, but I dunno.

Any idears?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/18/18 11:30 p.m.

I have used the pneumatic ones industrially and they work well 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/18 7:40 a.m.

The kind used in cell phones, game controllers and "marital aids" are an electric motor with an offset weight. Pneumatic seems to be the most popular type for larger and industrial uses.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
5/19/18 7:53 a.m.

Orbital sander?

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
5/19/18 10:09 a.m.

I've worked with these a lot over the last 30 or so years and if it were me I would go electric. Thee cheaper pneumatic vibrators are noisy, inefficient - they use a lot of air, and don't last particularly long, though that's likely not an issue for you.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
5/19/18 10:19 a.m.

I agree with superl1y all vibrators are noisy but a pneumatic ball vibrator is damn near intolerable.  

Sort of like the "most annoying sound in the world" from dumb and dumber, but LOUDER

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/19/18 7:08 p.m.

Only planning on running a vibrator five minutes or less X two small pours. I'll go cheap for the $20 pneumatic, could always find another use for it later. The cheap electric is for a chair/ bed massager, spose I could put it on my computer chair or build some whacky thing. Foot massager, I dunno. 

YT concrete form guy used electric. Dayum, it did not piss around but pricey. He mounted the motor on plywood then screwed that to an old tire for more jiggy, good idear. Or I could just use heater hose under my plywood for a lil jiggy. 

We used the industrial pneumatic vibrators on small parts hoppers, but industrial start about a buck fiddy. If I had ever known the amount of parts I'd need for future projects I woulda scarfed up wheelbarrow loads. And I may be party to mounting one w/ remote push button to a shop chair for the unsuspecting shop loiterer. devil

So $20 pneumatic it is, maybe regulate or w/ flow control. My compressor is 100% duty cycle, good there. If it don't work then Plan B.

Thanks guys

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/19/18 7:11 p.m.

(Jeez, that first image was HUGE... Sorry bout that.)

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/18 7:14 p.m.

Adultmart?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/19/18 9:36 p.m.
Patrick said:

Adultmart?

Yea, the Stormy Daniels Edition oughta shake 'er down real good wink

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/18 12:52 a.m.

When I worked for a hot rod/custom shop we often built engines with HardBlok cement filler in the water jackets.  We had a cheap air chisel.  We welded a steel plate on the tip of a chisel bit and riveted a piece of delrin plastic on the plate.  Serious vibes.

Smaller projects like epoxying something we would use a palm sander with no paper on it.

Edit... It looks like they make vibrator bits for pneumatic chisels.  We made our own, but something like this:

Curtis
5/20/18 12:58 a.m.

If you do an electric motor with an eccentric weight (great idea, by the way), separate the motor from the weight with a belt or a flex shaft.  Most motors it won't take much time to fatigue the motor's bearings and brushes if the unbalanced weight is directly on the shaft.

Another thought:  One of these dual head percussive massagers.  I had one (Homedics I think) that made some pretty awesome vibes.  They usually have adjustable speed and intensity.

Curtis
5/20/18 1:03 a.m.

And yet another idea popped into my head.

What about a vibrating oscilating tool?  Probably not up to the task of such continuous operation, but they buzz pretty good.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/20/18 11:30 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

Good ideas there. 

Didn't think of the air chisel till you posted, thanks. My Cleco descaler might be a PITA to mount on the board but has good vibes. 

Watched more YT vids from backyard to commercial builds. Might try casting my own step stones or pavers someday. Electric or pneumatic pad sanders are still possible for this build, might test 'em out if I don't have to hack 'em up. Really no bad suggestions here.

I ordered that $20 Ebay pneumatic vibrator, could always use that on a screen shaker for topsoil, sand etc.

New toy anyway. 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
5/20/18 11:56 p.m.

Today is the 50th anniversary of the Hitachi Magic Wand being invented.

Not really relevant but I got a cheap laugh out of it.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/3/18 8:44 p.m.

I said *topical* canoe...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/3/18 9:48 p.m.

Canoe deleted.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/3/18 10:52 p.m.

I feel this belongs here. NSFW language.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/4/18 6:28 a.m.
Run_Away said:

That video is strangely intriguing. 

The guy seems to have an unlimited prowess in all things engineering (electrical, mechanical, circuit boards, polymers, machine tooling), but is weirdly uncomfortable with the product (which makes for a few laughs), and I can’t figure out his actual purpose. He seems to be over analyzing the product just for the sake of over analyzing...

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/4/18 8:55 a.m.
SVreX said:
Run_Away said:

That video is strangely intriguing. 

The guy seems to have an unlimited prowess in all things engineering (electrical, mechanical, circuit boards, polymers, machine tooling), but is weirdly uncomfortable with the product (which makes for a few laughs), and I can’t figure out his actual purpose. He seems to be over analyzing the product just for the sake of over analyzing...

Yes, and that's the whole point, I think. 

Anyhow, I would read a summary of Curtis's employment history. Hot rod shop, theater production (my wife also has a degree in that, costuming), working on a new degree I think.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/4/18 8:58 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Wait.... that video is Curtis?

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/4/18 9:29 a.m.
SVreX said:

Wait.... that video is Curtis?

Seriously...no. That's done by a Canadian YouTuber with an extensive tool and machining interest.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/4/18 10:21 a.m.

I certainly assumed that, but your comment made it sound like it was him. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
7/4/18 10:37 a.m.

That guy sounds very familiar.

FWIW, that device which is generally regarded as the one that all others are (typically unfavorably) compared, is still available from the OEM, but has had a name change because Hitachi was not comfortable being associated with a device used for it's newly intended purpose.

What strange world we live in.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/4/18 11:30 a.m.

Oh that's Boltr! His videos are super fun to watch. I think someone posted a different one here a while ago. Maybe about some sort of old drill?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GoJuz9uRB5LuV40VhtoRfibnyt64AGau1hA12ydTc60R8m5Cvs4KJ6Tkjzq0iaGs