1 2 3
sparkymcfearsome
sparkymcfearsome New Reader
4/13/18 7:39 p.m.

Y'all can debate store bought all you want to, but , the best peach is the one you pull off the tree in your back yard on a hot day and eat right there.  And peanuts should be roasted not boiled.devil

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/13/18 7:53 p.m.
minivan_racer said:

Wait, what does everyone have against boiled peanuts.

They’re disgusting, tasteless, and vaguely squishy like you left the can open all summer.  They taste stale immediately upon production. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/13/18 9:39 p.m.

Yes - peanuts are supposed to be crunchy, not soggy.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
4/13/18 9:41 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Furious_E :

It must be. They make a big deal about it at the grocery store, but every fruit stand in Indiana, Westmoreland, and Fayette County I've ever driven by always has big signs for them. 

Funny, I grew up in Irwin and my parents always made a trip to Fort Loudon around  Labor Day to buy peaches to can. Never went as far east as Chambersburg.  Mom had to have Hale Haven peaches.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
4/13/18 10:52 p.m.

I must respectfully disagree with those of you who don't like boiled peanuts.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
4/13/18 11:53 p.m.
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/18 12:23 a.m.

In reply to Hal :

I've never heard of fort Loudon or Hale Haven peaches, strange. I will have to seek them out this year. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/14/18 5:50 a.m.

I'll eat my honey roasted peanuts and you can have your boiled peanuts and we don't have to share. Or pistachios. I'll take pistachios. On the subject of peaches I can't wait for PA peaches from the produce stands around Sayre. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/14/18 6:29 a.m.

Hey I’ve never actually had some Virginia peanuts. Someone send me some. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/14/18 8:12 a.m.

You Peach People need to get out of the peanut thread.  You wanna talk about peaches, go start yourselves a peach thread!cheeky

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/14/18 8:18 a.m.

We recently bought these Virginia Variety peanuts from Costco in a can as big as your head.  I seem to remember $6.99 for 2.5lb or less than $3 per lb which is about right.  Very Good.  

Speaking of peanuts...

Have you noticed the peanuts lately in peanut M&M's?  I'm sure there are grade A and grade B peanut qualities.  Seems that M&M's have gone to grade D peanuts.  They are horrible.  In general, all quality control of peanut M&M's have gone to heck with lots of "errors" in every bag.   Clearly seems that they are being manufactured to a price point.  

Nut trivia of the day...

Peanuts are available in the shell or out.  Walnuts are available in the shell or out, etc.  What's up with Cashews?    

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/14/18 8:19 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
bludroptop said:
Streetwiseguy said:

So, then, is there an actual difference between peanuts from Virginia and elsewhere, or is this just local bigotry?

Click - The National Peanut Board sez...

Which begs the question- Virginia peanuts appear to be more a breed than a location.  Can they be grown in, say, Georgia?  If they are, then are Virginia Virginia peanuts better than Georgia Virginia peanuts?

This is fun.

It’s like Vidalia onions.  They can be grown anywhere, but can only be called Vidalia if they are grown in a couple of counties around Vidalia, Ga.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/18 8:22 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

The oil in cashew shells is poisonous. Kind of like poison ivy. It can be fatal for some people if swallowed. 

lateapexer
lateapexer Reader
4/14/18 10:32 a.m.

Odd man out here. I like raw peanuts, maybe lightly salted. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/18 11:27 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Speaking of peanuts...

Have you noticed the peanuts lately in peanut M&M's?  I'm sure there are grade A and grade B peanut qualities.  Seems that M&M's have gone to grade D peanuts.  They are horrible.  In general, all quality control of peanut M&M's have gone to heck with lots of "errors" in every bag.   Clearly seems that they are being manufactured to a price point.  

Tell me about it. Half my last bag had “W”s on them.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/14/18 12:07 p.m.

You Peanut Guys can knock yourself out, I'll be over here with my Pistachios. laugh

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/14/18 1:32 p.m.
lateapexer said:

Odd man out here. I like raw peanuts, maybe lightly salted. 

During my time doing ag research, I often munched on raw peanuts in the field.  

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
4/14/18 2:26 p.m.

If I was on a deserted island and the only thing to eat was peaches I would die if starvation. Those things are berkeleying nasty. I don't particularly like peanuts either. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/16/18 6:32 a.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Are you also not a fan of the Allman Brothers?  

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
4/16/18 8:18 a.m.

Georgia Peanut Soup
(Makes about 6 cups)

Melt into a soup pot over medium heat:
    2 tablespoons of butter
Add and cook, stirring until tender but not browned, about 5 minutes:
    2 medium celery ribs, minced
    1 medium onion, minced
    1 garlic clove, minced
Stir in:
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Whisk in:
    4 cups hot Poultry Stock or Chicken Stock
Simmer, stirring often, until the soup begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Stir in:
    1 1/2 cups natural peanut butter
    1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Heat through, but do not boil. Stir in:
    2 teaspoons lime juice
Serve garnished with:
    3 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
    1/4 cup chopped scallions

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
4/16/18 9:18 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

I like the Allman brothers.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/16/18 9:20 a.m.

I just discovered that putting salted peanuts in a Coke or Pepsi is a "thing" and has been since the 1930's or so.  Mostly a "Southern Thing" I take it.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/16/18 9:53 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Theres no better peaches than Georgia.  

Best peaches I have ever had came off my tree in my backyard in Columbus, Ohio. Sadly we get late frosts too often here and the trees don't deal well with that. :-( Lost them all.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/18 10:11 a.m.
M2Pilot said:

I must respectfully disagree with those of you who don't like boiled peanuts.

I DISRESPECTFULLY disagree with those who dare scoff at boiled peanuts! Maybe they've never had proper boiled peanuts, which are typically acquired at that sketchy backwoods gas station just off Hwy 20 your wife urges you not to stop at and served in a giant styrofoam cup inside a paper bag to catch the shells.

Open the lid, release those sublime bol' pnut vapors. Realize your feet are no longer touching the ground and you are adrift in peanut heaven.

First you bite the shell to split it, and suck out all the salty, savory juices.

Then you open the shell and hoover down those soft, divine fruits of the ground. Don't even bother chewing. Perfect for folks lacking full sets of teeth.

Optional: suck on the empty shells for maximum juices extraction.

And now my north GA roots are showing.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/16/18 10:19 a.m.

I will take your word for it that those are different from a can of regular peanuts that has been left out with no lid through the 3 hottest, most humid months of the year.  From this Damn Yankee's perspective, they are indistinguishable.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xiwww6aulADYb7heeXJr8iY0roqaVMqpAP6X4pR141dt4j3Ng4THm7XfJ5HNXDac