Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/2/08 9:15 p.m.

I'm gonna go to bed so I'm not watching the end meaning anything could happen, but IMHO Palin has done a pretty good job in the debate. She has scored some points off of Biden and of course he's scored a few of his own as well. Given what the mainstream media has said (almost sneeringly) about her alleged lack of abilities, I think she has shown a good grasp of the issues her handlers have allowed her to talk about.

Opinions?

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
10/2/08 9:32 p.m.

I'm voting for McCain, and don't like the negative mainstream media at all, but she's not doing good in my opinion.

I'd go so far as to call it bad.

Too much:

"As a governor in Alaska..."

"McCain the Maverick"

and in general not answering the questions directly.

She also mistakenly refered to Al Queda (sp?) twice at least, and not in a good way.

No deal killers for me

(voting a: best of the worst and b: close-er to my political beliefs)

but it's not looking good.

-James

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/2/08 9:42 p.m.

biden cried.. she loses on that front..

but she did better than I really thought she would. She did seem much better than the bumbling interviews with katie.. She used a great strategy.. just not answer the question, when she couldn't understand it.

She did say for an answer "I've only been at this five weeks" I don't know.. ugh..

She also said the constitution was flexible when talking about cheney.

To the party faithful she did what they wanted her to she came out as not as bumbling.

bed time.

dabird
dabird New Reader
10/2/08 10:43 p.m.

It's pretty easy to not screw up when you don't have to answer any questions. the difference between tonight and the couric interview was that after Palin would give a half ass answer Couric would follow up. Palin pretty much dodged everything tonight and talked in circles

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
10/2/08 11:16 p.m.

Y'know that commercial where the stain on the guy's shirt speaks louder than the guy wearing the shirt?

Sarah's over-long bang wrapped up in her eyelash did that to me.

Shallow? Yes. Doesn't change my vote either way, but who knows how many other people were not listening to the words?

Paul/Barr '08 FTW

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/3/08 12:23 a.m.

NUKE-LEE-ER, not nuke-you-ler. Don't they have some damn scissors to trim her bangs? Or is she trying to hide behind them while she speaks so you are too distracted to notice her not making any sense. McCain the maverick...really cute, worn out in a matter of days. She is so damn annoying. At least when Biden was spewing BS it was less like nails on a chalk board. She also said "shout out"...almost as unprofessional as McCain's constant snickering. Doesn't anybody teach these people how to do a debate? It's so embarrassing that this is (in theory, of course, not in reality) the best America has to offer.

Bryce

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
10/3/08 12:26 a.m.

I'm convinced the wheels have come off of the wagon, and we are all basically screwed.

She does have nice legs, though..

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/3/08 6:25 a.m.

I noticed the 'nukular' pronunciation as well, thought 'now that can't be good'.

I missed Biden crying. Is that for real? At one point, Palin whacked him HARD for saying that he didn't think Obama was ready for the Presidency, her words were, sorta: 'When did you change your mind? When he asked you to join his ticket?' He went stonefaced in a hurry.

And yeah we are pretty well screwed no matter who gets in the White House but I just thought she did better than expected.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
10/3/08 6:40 a.m.

What's weird is, aside from the obvious canned political bloviating, I kind of liked both of them. I don't know squat about Biden, but he's rather likable. He doesn't talk to the audience like they are small, inferior children like most of the Democrats seem to (Al Gore, anyone?).

My expectations for Palin were mediocre. I have purposely been avoiding watching anything with her in it because I think in the debates, the pressure is so extreme if you're inept it's going to show. I thought she did well. Okay, so she has funky pronunciations for some things. She's from Alaska. That's how they talk up there. Doesn't bother me.

Actually one of the better debates I've watched. I wasn't looking at the clock on the VCR constantly or dozing off. The questions sucked for the most part, but they kept it moving and the grandstanding was kept to a wonderful minimum.

Still wouldn't vote for either party though. Bob Barr FTW, if only in my dreams.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/3/08 6:41 a.m.

Wait... That ad for Alaska with the smiling guy stroking out was the VP debate?

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
10/3/08 7:24 a.m.

And the fact that she wants to follow Cheney in expanding the role of the veep's office, despite Article 1 doesn't give anybody cause for concern?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/3/08 7:38 a.m.
wreckerboy wrote: And the fact that she wants to follow Cheney in expanding the role of the veep's office, despite Article 1 doesn't give anybody cause for concern?

That was a gigantic watch out for me. I may be a whack job liberal, but that consitution is not something to be disregarded. Which is one of my biggest complaints about the Bush admin... Patriot Act anyone?

btw a pretty good article detailing gaffe's and being fairly even handed and objective..

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14235.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
22rhJNX6xmpMneqvYJv6sxw4lRRVZrNBdnHghEK1UOiaHc5ddprliPuezTlt4ALB