1 2 3
Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
6/30/08 10:07 a.m.

Kim and I saw Wall E last night...one of the best movies I've seen in a while. Funny, good message, well done...and quite dark and sad if you really think about it.

thumbs up.

Per

rob_lewis
rob_lewis New Reader
6/30/08 10:12 a.m.

Funny, my son and wife almost walked out early because they were bored with it (I was working). And both of them are Pixar fanatics.

I still want to see it. Glad to hear some people liked it.

-Rob

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
6/30/08 10:23 a.m.

AWESOME movie.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/30/08 10:24 a.m.

I'm with Per, although I see Rob's wife's view, too. It's like a Pixar movie done by Kubrick (and there's several 2001 references in there).

As a kids movie... it's a bit of a tough sell. As a movie, it's really, really good.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
6/30/08 10:30 a.m.

I loved it.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/08 10:31 a.m.

I'm looking forward to seeing it, the trailers I've seen have been pretty good. I'm curious how many kids can sit through a movie without non stop dialogue though.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
6/30/08 10:41 a.m.

Saw it yesterday mornings. Never got bored with it but i can see why someone would. Very light on dialogue and very dark for a "kids" movie.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
6/30/08 10:42 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: I'm looking forward to seeing it, the trailers I've seen have been pretty good. I'm curious how many kids can sit through a movie without non stop dialogue though.

Did you change your name to Wall-e just for this thread? lol

And did anybody here see any parallels to the "Short Circut" movies of the 80s?

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/08 10:46 a.m.

It went with the avitar that's too small to see

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/30/08 10:47 a.m.
Did you change your name to Wall-e just for this thread?

Yeah, I just noticed that, too.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis New Reader
6/30/08 11:48 a.m.

Kubrick meets Pixar?

Now I have to see it!!

(and can see why the wife and son didn't like it that much).

-Rob

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
6/30/08 12:47 p.m.

My Lovely Wife took my 5 year old Son to see it....he liked it...her not so much.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/30/08 1:40 p.m.

I loved the movie. It did have a couple messages in it that I really enjoyed and it had a good story. Most of the messages were of the variety that your younger kids likely won't notice/get though.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/30/08 1:46 p.m.

Saw it yesterday as well, I have to agree with the Kubrick by Pixar description. Fantastic animation (particularly Wall-E's emotions and the roach), a good cautionary tale but the plot is very predictable.

SupraWes
SupraWes HalfDork
6/30/08 4:18 p.m.

I guess I can see why kids might not get it. Its about as far from Mater, Nemo, and Spingebob as you can get and that's why I love it! It's the best movie I have seen in quite a few years.

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
6/30/08 5:55 p.m.

I don't want movies with messages, I want movies with good entertainment value and I love all the newer animated movies. I just sit and stare at the backgrounds and all the little details. They're fascinating!

The previews to this looked cute. The bot in this movie is a dead ringer for another "real, live" bot in another movie from the 80s. I can't remember the other movie's name, but it will come to me.

I guess I'll have to go see it tomorrow. We have $1 & $4 movies on Tuesdays in our area so most of my movie watching is on Tuesdays. I'll risk $4, but not $10.

Who cares if the kids get it, they've left home. I find I like a lot of the kids movies a lot more without the kids.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/30/08 6:43 p.m.

The live action flick with the similar robot is 'Short Circuit', he was called Johnny Five.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/30/08 6:53 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: The live action flick with the similar robot is 'Short Circuit', he was called Johnny Five.

NUMBER 5 IS ALIVE!!!!

gutenburg: HOLY E36 M3

Number 5: no E36 M3, where see E36 M3?

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
6/30/08 8:44 p.m.

I took my girls. They liked the "short" magic show before the movie, but looked bored during.

I liked the animation and some general Pixar cleverness, but it's not really a kids movie. At the same time, the "message" was overly simplistic and like carguy, I didn't want a message anyhoo.

"Why were all those people so fat, daddy?"

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/1/08 8:47 a.m.

Glad to hear it doesn't suck. I'm thinking about taking the nephews to see it at the Drive-In.

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
7/1/08 9:00 a.m.

You still have Drive Ins? What time does the show start. 9:30-10:00?

How many people do you sneak in in your trunk?

Jack
Jack SuperDork
7/1/08 9:33 a.m.

We still have a few drive in's here in WA. They are double features that start around 9:30 this time of year, but start significantly earlier in August. It's a lot of fun, but we don't have carload pricing. The cost is about the same as a single feature in a theater. It is good family fun though.

Jack

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/1/08 10:44 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: You still have Drive Ins? What time does the show start. 9:30-10:00? How many people do you sneak in in your trunk?

If by "people" you mean "beers and/or vodka-tonics," a couple-few. We're actually friends with the owner, so if he sees us pulling up, he'll just wave us on through, knowing that he'll make a few bucks on us as soon as we smell the funnel cakes & nachos.

Here's his website:

http://www.swan-drive-in.com/

Oh, and tickets are $6 for adults, $3 for kids, and kids under 3 get in free.

AudiMike
AudiMike Reader
7/2/08 4:57 p.m.

We took our girls to see Wall E on the weekend. They both liked it and they are 4 and 7.

I enjoyed it to, although I always go to the movies for the entertainment value and dont look for meanings and messages until after.

In all Pixar seems to put out good movies.

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
7/2/08 9:38 p.m.

Oh yea:

The message, that we may be overconsuming to the ultimate detriment of Mother Earth, falls flat when you consider Wall e merchandise will be sold in every retail outlet, given away with Happy Meals, etc. and then fairly quickly thown away.

We got three Wall E watches upon entering the theater.

-James

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7EH3QhlDFuDPWrEpwm8RaIQwBLlGGjwqTnwjkbBm6aTe5YAlNC22ByPHLNY3giOk