TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
11/14/18 6:46 a.m.

What is the best value for a 50 gallon natural gas?Rheem, AO smith, or are they all the same now?

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson New Reader
11/14/18 7:31 a.m.

I don't know the answer but I just read this about AO Smith water heaters:

https://krcgtv.com/news/nation-world/more-than-600000-a-o-smith-water-heaters-recalled-due-to-fires-starting-while-turned-on

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/14/18 8:58 a.m.

I’ve put many waters heaters in. 

Same to me - mine usually live 1 week past the warranty.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/18 9:00 a.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte :

I put an AO Smith in our place in IL. For a family of 6 it was able to keep up with a constant string of shower-after-shower, or even both showers running simultaneously, but not both showers simultaneously shower-after-shower. 

I didn’t have any problems with it in the 5+ years we lived there, and the new owners(who are friends of ours) have not had any problems. I did flush it out periodically as recommended. 

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/14/18 10:19 a.m.

Find recognizable name, choose the cheapest in the size you want, install.  In ratings and reviews, AO takes top spot followed by GE then Rheem, but they're all just big tanks with heaters.  They all have plenty of market experience so I wouldn't quibble over any of the top names.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
11/14/18 10:23 a.m.

Have you looked at tankless water heaters?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/14/18 10:34 a.m.
Curtis said:

Find recognizable name, choose the cheapest in the size you want, install.  In ratings and reviews, AO takes top spot followed by GE then Rheem, but they're all just big tanks with heaters.  They all have plenty of market experience so I wouldn't quibble over any of the top names.

I agree! But you have to shop like crazy. Don’t just go to a big box store. Try the smaller places as well. Sometimes the little places can surprise you.  I wound up getting mine from the Utility company for $60 less than anyone else. They seemed shocked I would install them myself.  I suspect they planned on making up the difference  on the installation.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/14/18 11:33 a.m.
NermalSnert said:

Have you looked at tankless water heaters?

If you're house was built around a water heater with a tank, it can be difficult. As tankless water heaters need a much larger gas supply line and venting requirements. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
11/14/18 11:53 a.m.

I was looking for a cute print ad that probably ran in the ASHRAE Journal sometime in the 1990's.  Pretty sure it was for "State" brand water heaters, but may have been A.O. Smith.  The ad copy was something like "only one of these puppies will never take a leak on your floor" and the picture featured a water heater and a bashful-looking puppy.  Great ad.  Thought I could find it on the inner Nets, but I could not.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/14/18 12:35 p.m.

When I was a kid, growing up on the farm, a water heater lasted about five years on well water.  Grown up in the city, using softened water, mine is at 21 years and counting.  I think mineral content etc is the biggest factor.

They seem to me to be a pretty basic thing, so I would feel fine buying based on price.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/14/18 1:10 p.m.

I’m just looking forward to my landlord installing our new one on Friday. The old one died over a month ago. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
11/14/18 1:37 p.m.

Check with your Electrical power supplier too, most of them sell high efficiency water heaters to their customers at prices that the box stores can't touch.  I think my last Marathon was under $200 through my CO-OP.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
11/14/18 3:55 p.m.
Brian said:

I’m just looking forward to my landlord installing our new one on Friday. The old one died over a month ago. 

You have had to wait a month for hot water? I would find that highly unacceptable.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/14/18 5:30 p.m.
D2W said:
Brian said:

You have had to wait a month for hot water? I would find that highly unacceptable.

Yeah, getting my landlord to get anything done is a E36 M3 show. Add in the housing disagreements between my wife and I, I may be better off with a divorce. 

Where were we? Water heaters?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3P4KQvAhwW7JIv3h23UvIZea3OwmA9HVxCHOugH6w8JyIgTx4h07AyP5Lb3AiwCy