slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/17/18 9:23 a.m.

Getting close to renovating our house finally (years of planning). House was built in 1954, the floors are original and we like them a lot. We settled on converting an existing bedroom into a bathroom to create a master suite. The bedroom has waxed wood floors just like the entire rest of the house. I would love to just sand and urethane the crap out of the existing floor rather than rip it up and put down tile. My theory is if you slap enough sealer on it and use a massive fart fan for ventilation, it should work.

And now to wait for Paul to tell me how insanely bad an idea this is....

...and Curtis to reply that he did it in a house once and it was awesome....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/18 9:54 a.m.

urethane or a clear epoxy floor covering would work. Epoxy tends to yellow in sunlight, but I doubt that is much of a problem indoors

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/17/18 10:32 a.m.

Just spoke to a friend of mine who is a contractor/architect. He said as long as we seal it and don't treat it like a swimming pool deck, it should be fine. That's what I was figuring. We already live with unsealed floors, we take good care of them as a habit.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/17/18 10:58 a.m.

Waiting for Curtis and Frenchy...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/17/18 11:01 a.m.

In reply to slefain :

Nope. Not from me. 

You could pay to install a floor now out of fear of what "may" happen, or you could try it and see how it works. 

If it doesn't work, worst case scenario is you will have to pay to install a floor later. 

It would probably look great!  (I just completed my own kitchen remodel, with white cabinets on top of a "wood" look floor- looks stunning)

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/17/18 11:05 a.m.
SVreX said:

Waiting for Curtis and Frenchy...

Yeah, I'm pretty much already decided on a plastic sealer, no bug parts.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/18 11:15 a.m.

I had to literally laugh out loud as soon as I saw the thread title cheeky

From what I have gathered through my recent research, previously waxed floors can be a bit of a bitch to work with since nothing will adhere to it. You need to make damn sure ALL of the wax is stripped off prior to recoating. Chemically stripping the wax prior to sanding I think was recommended, as sanding can tend to just spread it around, rather than removing it completely. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/17/18 12:21 p.m.
Furious_E said:

I had to literally laugh out loud as soon as I saw the thread title cheeky

From what I have gathered through my recent research, previously waxed floors can be a bit of a bitch to work with since nothing will adhere to it. You need to make damn sure ALL of the wax is stripped off prior to recoating. Chemically stripping the wax prior to sanding I think was recommended, as sanding can tend to just spread it around, rather than removing it completely. 

That makes sense. Looks like i'd be spending some quality time with mineral spirit and a rag. The room is just over 100sq/ft, so it shouldn't be too bad.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
4/17/18 4:47 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to slefain :

Nope. Not from me. 

You could pay to install a floor now out of fear of what "may" happen, or you could try it and see how it works. 

If it doesn't work, worst case scenario is you will have to pay to install a floor later. 

It would probably look great!  (I just completed my own kitchen remodel, with white cabinets on top of a "wood" look floor- looks stunning)

I agree!  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eR2JrFWy0g4Np7c2GYd2Un6Rk0mTiiJWo5vng4r5tBd2zAu7PyQN00iELUi1aLuh