1 2
kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
4/5/18 7:54 p.m.

Lost my first piece of "dad dominance" today.  My son beat me, head to head, no excuses (except that I'm fatter than he is, which isn't very satisfying) at a race.  I'm currently consoling myself with the fact that it was small margin (0.028 seconds) and it was just go karts, but he legitimately, undeniably beat me.    

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
4/5/18 8:05 p.m.

Paging Robby Gordon.  Very old 'size-ist' complaint reference. wink

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
4/5/18 8:47 p.m.

You can take pride in your teaching ability.

That is if you taught him. cheeky

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
4/5/18 8:49 p.m.

It isn't over until my son can beat me at Quake.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/5/18 9:08 p.m.

About the only thing I'd be able to beat my son at anymore is Trivial Pursuit, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

And just remember, old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
4/5/18 9:54 p.m.
wlkelley3 said:

He's 16, so he currently considers himself "self taught". 

asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
4/5/18 10:51 p.m.

I started autocrossing with my dad at 16. It took until I was 21 that we were competing against each other (and since we shared his 944 there was also a team aspect to push each other to go faster). I don't think he's beat me since I was 23, and I'm 37 now...

For a while I think he was conflicted about it, but now I know he loves when I pass him at track days. I have taken his little hobby farther than he ever did. We currently have kind of a joint project miata. It is a POS. He sponsors a lot of upgrades with the goal of me some very expensive hardware in a miata with a total budget of less than a cost of tires for his 911. (Really, that is how I justify any upgrade to this crapcan)

I personally cannot wait for my kids to beat me! My oldest is 2 and working on a balance bike. Next winter she'll try skiing.

I'm really proud of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6quBdVygTVo

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/18 12:08 a.m.

I’m 40, overweight and was never terribly good at sports (except driving and biking) and my son isn’t due to be born until August.

My near 2-year old daughter winds me just taking her upstairs for a nap.

I’m berkeleyed.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/18 6:43 a.m.

My eldest (30) beats me at autocross fairly regularly. He's almost 80 pounds lighter than I am and in the Abomination that counts for a lot. I also have that continuous thought about how much tires cost. 

My middle son (18) hasn't gotten there yet, but he's getting closer. 

My daughter (26) will give the boys a ton of grief when she beats them. The eldest she seldom gets, the middle she beats on a regular basis. 

In rallycross, none of them stand a chance. I regularly stomp them  by 10-20 seconds over the course of 10 runs. They haven't figured out the rhythm of rallycross. 

When the youngest (14) hits driving age, I'm pretty sure all of us are in trouble. He's gone from the bottom of the stack to the top in karts over the last year. He's coaching the younger kids and doing course set up. He's going to be a holy terror in the Abomination. I can't wait. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/6/18 6:48 a.m.

It's been over for a long time... I haven't beaten my son at anything for years. 

HOWEVER, I'm getting a restart.  His first kid is on the way, and I'm definitely a better Dad than him!!

(Looking forward to the day when he beats me at that too)

octavious
octavious Dork
4/6/18 7:15 a.m.

I hope my kids are better than me in every single possible way...  

Mine are still little, although my 8 year old can already do 5 unassisted pull-ups and the 4 year old can do one.  Heck I have to try and keep in shape just so they think dad is Superman for a few more days.  lol

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
4/6/18 7:29 a.m.

The last time I was about to beat my dad in go-carts at the beach, he spun me out before I could complete the pass which got him kicked out so I never got the chance for a rematch.

I kept pushing to get him out to Summit Point Kart when it was open here, but he never took me up on it.  laugh

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
4/6/18 8:10 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

It isn't over until my son can beat me at Fortnight.

FTFY

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/6/18 8:33 a.m.

Add ballast.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/6/18 10:38 a.m.

Don't feel bad.  During the Ferrari Challenge race leading up to the Rolex this year, both Cooper McNeil and David McNeil (owner of Weathertech) were racing.   Cooper lapped his Dad!  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/6/18 11:35 a.m.

No, it's over when you realize he lifted so he doesn't beat you so bad.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
4/6/18 11:38 a.m.

next time spin him out on a corner.

8valve
8valve Reader
4/6/18 12:02 p.m.
914Driver said:

No, it's over when you realize he lifted so he doesn't beat you so bad.

Yeah exactly.. its not over yet at 0.028 seconds.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
4/6/18 12:24 p.m.
kazoospec said:
wlkelley3 said:

He's 16, so he currently considers himself "self taught". 

Yeah, let him think that. wink But we know the truth even though he won't admit to it. Yet. 10 years from now he'll admit to who taught him.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
4/6/18 12:28 p.m.

Spawn just turned 16 and got his permit.  I'm hoping for 10 years before he can beat me driving.  That should put his upward progression across my downward spiral.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/6/18 12:30 p.m.
Grtechguy said:

next time spin him out on a corner.

Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance laugh

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
4/6/18 12:45 p.m.

Whoever loves a son will chastise him often,

that he may be his joy when he grows up.

Whoever disciplines a son will benefit from him,

and boast of him among acquaintances.

Whoever educates a son will make his enemy jealous,

and rejoice in him among his friends.

At the father’s death, he will seem not dead,

for he leaves after him one like himself,

Whom he looked upon through life with joy,

and in death, without regret.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
4/7/18 7:53 a.m.

my twins are 10 and i cant wait until they can drive.  right now we primarily work on baseball and football skills but my dad has some land in the country and they really enjoy the go karts and 4 wheeler.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
5/12/18 5:22 p.m.

Just a little update.  Had our first autocross of the year.  And, while he may eventually beat me with big boy race cars . . .

He was ahead of me in the middle of our runs, but I ended up beating him by 3 seconds by the "official results".  He claims he got "phantom coned", in which case I only beat him by about a second.  (I actually agree with him on the phantom cone, I was 99% sure his fastest run was clean)

(Insert Vin Diesel meme here)

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/12/18 5:38 p.m.
914Driver said:

So it comes down to would I rather spend 30 minutes with that lady or 30 minutes with that sweet go kart. Sometimes choices in life can be hard. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HirdFGZms3cuHJhbvuQ8XQrx4IYRvyJmsjE50AEpudgSMZZLAohwRPOKfwEvSuVw