1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/16 5:23 p.m.

I have some of this stashed away and it is darn chilly here today compaired to the 90+ for the last week or so.

I think two fingers should do me just fine.

Gary
Gary Dork
7/9/16 9:46 a.m.

My son and DIL closed on their newly constructed house yesterday so Annie and I brought a bottle of champagne over last night and celebrated. A bottle of Moët doesn't go too far with four people. Annie and DIL were OK with that, but fortunately my son had already stocked the new fridge with a variety of Sams and Sierra Nevadas. So he and I had a proper celebration in the new manse.

Gary
Gary Dork
7/22/16 4:51 p.m.

Spent the day spectating at an SCCA Club Racing event at Thompson today. Qualifying races for tomorrow's main events. It was hotter 'n hell ... mid nineties and humid. And there ain't much shade at Thompson. But I love watching road racing in the heat. Great FV and Spec Miata fields as usual. (Saw a GRM sticker on one of the FV's). Anyway, got home a little while ago and immediately chugged a Narragansett Lager tall boy, showered because I really needed it, and now Annie and I are on our deck working on a bottle of Bordeaux. It's still hot, but at least we're in the shade. I love summer.

Happy weekend!

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
7/22/16 6:12 p.m.

Hard day off getting ready for the road trip to Va tomorrow to pick up my TVR, but now enjoying a very cold Coors in a frozen mug. The perfect beer for a hot summer day.

Gary
Gary Dork
7/22/16 6:21 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Sounds like a good weekend ahead. Please provide pics!

dean1484
7/22/16 6:22 p.m.

It is 19:21 and I am still at the office and have to be at a Job at 06:30 tomorrow I need a cold one.!!!

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
7/22/16 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Gary:

I just told my wife that we have to take the camera because nowadays people demand pictures.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 6:31 p.m.

Gary
Gary Dork
7/22/16 6:44 p.m.

Me too. BTW, the Bordeaux was very good.

Gary
Gary Dork
7/22/16 7:13 p.m.

Umm, after the Bordeaux was done, we discovered there was a little Pernod (aka Paul Ricard vis a vis the race circuit in France) left in that bottle. So now we're working on it ... with water and ice of course. It works. Yes, there's definitely a connection between booze and cars.

Gary
Gary Dork
7/22/16 7:25 p.m.

...and listening to Scott Hamilton tenor sax smooth jazz

DJTWMAGA

Gary
Gary Dork
7/22/16 8:01 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: It is 19:21 and I am still at the office and have to be at a Job at 06:30 tomorrow I need a cold one.!!!

Hope you're home by now and enjoying a cold one.

dean1484
7/24/16 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Gary:

Nope I was not. . .. Got home at 21:00 or so. . . The good was that the testing I had to do Saturday morning was all wrapped up by 10:00 so that was good.

dean1484
7/24/16 10:19 a.m.

IT was "0" Beer thirty early on saterday. :-)

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
7/29/16 12:09 p.m.

Well my enjoyment of libations will be delayed today, but I will have something big to celebrate when I finally take the first swig. Yesterday I sold my late parents home, and tonight we are signing the sales contract, etc..! I have mixed emotions. My Grandfather and Dad built the house, I grew up in it, and it is more a member of our family than it is a building. But it had to be done, and I'm glad it's almost over. So tonight, tip one to me, will ya?

Gary
Gary Dork
7/29/16 12:16 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Absolutely! Any and all reasons.

dean1484
7/29/16 12:44 p.m.

One week vacation starts in 3 hours and 17 min!!!!!!

dean1484
7/29/16 12:46 p.m.

Oh Who am I kidding I have not got a dam thing done all day so as soon as I can I am out of here!!!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/3/16 6:21 p.m.

While this is a drkrining thread...

My wife got me a nice present for my birthday- a 4 liter barrel + 3 bottles of 120 proof whiskey. Time to age.

They say 9-12 weeks in a barrel this small.

Ann Arbor Distillery.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
8/3/16 6:36 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

When I saw this up at the top I was thinking "damn Alfa, It's not even Friday eve yet"

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/3/16 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Nick (picaso) Comstock:

We both had a long day (mine, literal, hers figuratively)- and the plan to get it on Friday moved to tonight. I still have to wait a LONG time. But it's also generated plans to find other sources of alcohol to age.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
8/3/16 7:31 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Do you need to keep it under any specific conditions?

I mean like not too hot or too cold?

Can you just stick it in the corner of the garage and forget about it?

Would it be a bad thing to let it age longer than 9-12 weeks? Say, a couple years?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/3/16 7:40 p.m.

Yes, no, kinda...

This whiskey is bourbon, so they age at pretty high temps- so they suggested that I put in out in the garage- since we are seeing 90/60 at the moment.

Rum is aged that way, too.

Scotch, on the other hand, ages longer at a more moderate temp range.

Then there's the other issue- it does look cool in the dining room. That's basically 80/65 so that's not bad.

I've got to wait for the water in it to swell up the wood, so I'm not starting until Sunday, anyway.

The barrel came form www.1000oakbarrel.com but modified for Ann Arbor Distillery. Very cool.

Now I'm also looking for beer making stuff.

edit- the question of age- yes, you can over age alcohol. I've had some pretty bad rums. This is only 3 liters, so the surface area to volume is MUCH higher than a standard 55 gal barrel. So it ages 8-10x faster. I've got to keep a close eye on it. I'll really learn what that time will end up being.

The other thing I'm interested in are the grapes in my back yard.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/4/16 7:20 a.m.

do you know what level char it is? porters age very nicely in old bourbon barrels :D

don't go sticking grape juice in there until you've had some practice making wine first.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/4/16 8:13 a.m.

In reply to bluej:

It didn't say. But the distillery suggested quite a few steps for what goes into it. Including cocktails...

As for the wine- I've done a few, and have some good plans for it. I was going to make it into a young drinking wine like a beaujolais, as Wine Maker did that with the grape I have. But for that, I only want a couple of gallons. The rest can become something else. So depending on how much I can manage to harvest..

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HXs7Z92aeG4E1hQaU92SBDxjhpl9pUwmUE0yHdpHog56IZXV6kOPz5q71cIXBYxo