1 2
bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
11/3/11 11:44 a.m.

I spied these two Accords parked next to each other while in Vancouver, BC recently.

What a difference 30 years makes.

That's 2000lbs, 72 hp on the left, and 4000 lbs, 275 hp on the right.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/11 11:47 a.m.

I can't believe that there is an early Accord surviving North of Atlanta.

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
11/3/11 11:47 a.m.

30 years and they keep getting uglier.. forgot how basic and nice the orignal was..

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/3/11 11:49 a.m.

Buddy of mine has an 81 accord up here in decent shape. Cool car!

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/3/11 11:49 a.m.

and ppl thought only Detroit was building bigger

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/3/11 11:50 a.m.

And I bet that 72 hp had plenty of go to it as well.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/3/11 11:51 a.m.

Photobucket

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
11/3/11 11:57 a.m.

It looks like an suv!

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
11/3/11 11:59 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: and ppl thought only Detroit was building bigger

Everyone knows Honda's goal is to become the Japanese Buick and with the Accord being made in Ohio it really is an American car.

NISMO, STi, TRD, Mazdaspeed, AMG, SVT........who doesn't have an in-house performance arm? Mugen is where?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/3/11 12:01 p.m.
mrhappy wrote: It looks like an suv!

When I first saw the pic, I thought it was one of the Accord CrossTours.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
11/3/11 12:03 p.m.

A first-gen Accord sedan with a 5-speed and a nice set of 14" wheels on it is one of the most simply appealing cars ever produced. Efficient, peppy, and fun as hell, too.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/11 12:15 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: And I bet that 72 hp had plenty of go to it as well.

Weren't we all just complaining about the new Toyobaru having only 200 hp to motivate 2700 lbs?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render New Reader
11/3/11 12:39 p.m.

That old Accord is smaller than the current civic...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
11/3/11 12:41 p.m.

Friend of mine way back in college had a '79 Accord. It was still pretty new at the time. Nice little car. Nimble and peppy, but my RX-2 would thrash it in a race.

He proceeded to beat the piss out of it, and didn't manage to kill it until the clutch went and he over-revved it driving up a mountain. He really wanted a new car.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
11/3/11 1:06 p.m.
Keith wrote:
Weren't we all just complaining about the new Toyobaru having only 200 hp to motivate 2700 lbs?

Good one, Keith.

Yeah, some were complaining. Those are same people I make suure are downwind of me after a good meal.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
11/3/11 2:10 p.m.
Keith wrote:

I think people forget about gearing. They gear the car so that 200hp has some potential.

Plus isn't it more fun to drive a slow car fast?

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
11/3/11 2:17 p.m.
Woody wrote: I can't believe that there is an early Accord surviving North of Atlanta.

This one was in very good shape. Actually all the cars in the PNW were in alarmingly good shape. Seems to be where Vanagons go to get a new lease on life.

Oh, and the new Accord was indeed the Crosstour variant. Still I think it's appropriate given both are hatchbacks, and the general profile shape is actually remarkably similar.

Accord new vs old

Woody
11/3/11 2:29 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: Accord new vs old

A girl that I went to high school with had an '81 Accord hatch in the same color as that one. We went skiing in Vermont for a week and I will always have a special place in my heart for that car.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
11/3/11 2:31 p.m.

I loved the early 2 Dr Accords. To me that was about the perfect car. With a modern engine it would be a killer car. We bought a 79 4 dr Accord that I also loved. We got the last one shipped to Cale Yarborough Honda Mazda in Florence, SC that year. I think we paid the princely sum of $6,700. Only issue we had was it would stumble for a couple of minutes if you hot started it after a short shut down.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
11/3/11 2:34 p.m.
Woody wrote:
bastomatic wrote: Accord new vs old
A girl that I went to high school with had an '81 Accord hatch in the same color as that one. We went skiing in Vermont for a week and I will always have a special place in my heart for that car.

I was going to say a girl I went to high school with had an ass that was that titanic.

Woody
11/3/11 2:45 p.m.

This was a different girl.

That_Renault_Guy
That_Renault_Guy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/3/11 3:14 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: That old Accord is smaller than the current Fit

Fixed that for you

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
11/3/11 3:21 p.m.

That's a new Taurus SHO parked next to a 2010 Acura MDX. The SHO is ~1.5" shorter, but is longer.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
11/3/11 3:55 p.m.
pete240z wrote: NISMO, STi, TRD, Mazdaspeed, AMG, SVT........who doesn't have an in-house performance arm? Mugen is where?

What is HPD?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/3/11 4:17 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
pete240z wrote: NISMO, STi, TRD, Mazdaspeed, AMG, SVT........who doesn't have an in-house performance arm? Mugen is where?
What is HPD?

Isn't that some sort of sexually transmitted disease?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ajFYXZjeCOBahZkiVRYSRpBewouZiJRolFeRxqzjIYmnwl2yjD6rJDqqjmNMN58f