AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
7/22/19 12:09 p.m.

I'm selling some stuff on FB Marketplace and couldn't help myself from looking at whats available nearby. I saw a decent '07 Fit. I know that the sweet spot for Fits on the forum is '09 to '13 and Fit Sports are best. What about a good deal on an '07 base with manual transmission?

I'm trying to ween my wife off her beloved '03 Element to get a newer Fit, but so far she is resisting. Will a cheap '07 drive her away from the idea, or be a good step towards a 2012-ish model?

*This is for a grocery-getting, dog-carrying car.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/19 2:55 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

They’re good cars, but about 6” shorter in both total length & cargo/interior space, which is noticeable(and none of us are over 5’6”). Our daughter’s ‘07, and our other daughter’s ‘09 are both over 200k now, and seem to be holding up well. 

Regarding it swaying her toward a newer one, I’d say that’s completely dependent on her personality. There’s no way that would work in our family though. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/19 4:08 p.m.

Pretty sure Hennessy Honda of Woodstock recommends MTF service at 30k on those. Ask poopshovel.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
7/22/19 7:15 p.m.

I always thought they were pretty cool cars. I like them. I was at an SCCA Majors race at Thompson a couple weeks ago and there was one racing. (Don't ask what class it was in because I lost track of SCCA race classes after around the mid-eighties. It used to be easy. Not any more. That could be a topic for a forum thread). But go for it!

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/19 8:15 p.m.

1st gens had water leak issues around the hatch. 2nd gen cars are regarded as much stiffer and a better platform than the 1st gen cars.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/19 8:22 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

they're great cars, a bit buzzy on the freeway and if you get a base model it has no cruise control. The cruise control can be added. but it's time and money. 

My Parents have nearly 150k miles on their 08 Fit now which will hit 11 years of ownership next month. 

It's only been to the dealer for 2 recalls for the driver window switches. 

the 2nd Gens are better, but the Gen1 are still great cars. if it's in solid shape with no major rust issues anythng under $2500 on a Gen1 I would call worth pursuing. 

spacecadet
7/22/19 8:23 p.m.
Gary said:

I always thought they were pretty cool cars. I like them. I was at an SCCA Majors race at Thompson a couple weeks ago and there was one racing. (Don't ask what class it was in because I lost track of SCCA race classes after around the mid-eighties. It used to be easy. Not any more. That could be a topic for a forum thread). But go for it!

The class was B-Spec. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/23/19 6:44 a.m.

We had an '07 base model stick shift for several years.  Reliable as gravity.  Slow as molasses.  Fun as a carnival.  Ridiculous room inside for its' size.  A/C really struggled to keep up on a hot summer day (lots of glass space, plus our car was black).  34-38mpg reliably.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/23/19 11:19 a.m.

What Clayfish said, except we had a Sport with an auto. 

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
7/23/19 12:09 p.m.

Thanks... The one that I was going to see tomorrow sold last night. Back to the hunt. Good deals come up pretty frequently. Hopefully next time I can act quicker.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/19 12:13 p.m.

I autocross with someone that has a modified first gen fit. The car's surprisingly fast.

Correction, it's just as slow as everyone says, but the chassis is amazingly well sorted and it's one of those "don't lift until you get to the turn around" cars.

She's a large animal veterinarian, so she practices out of the car during the week then races it on the weekends!

spacecadet
7/23/19 3:03 p.m.

I had a gen2 for 9 months and 18k miles and I put 12k miles on my parents Gen 1 Fit summer of '11 when I crossed half the country a few times(not joking). 

The chassis is solid for both. They have basically no power with 109 and 119 rated HP for gen 1 and 2 respectively.  But as is evidenced by the fact that K swapped Fits are appearing in greater and greater numbers. They are a crazy amount of fun on track or in an autox once you add a bit of power. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
7/23/19 3:51 p.m.

I have a 3rd gen and love it. Only car I ever bought new and I'd do it again. I do like the looks of the earlier cars better if I'm honest.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N3Nu143gsPluutpIBa5AH8LIOG2OnonRZbnqKvWoMHtDLoSrjKVdrdjWxdM3Giay