1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/20/14 1:22 p.m.

A young man asked me an interesting question this morning...

"What are you excited about?"

Seemed simple enough. But as I tried to answer, I realized I didn't have a good answer.

Confession time... It's been a bad few years, and I've gotten more distracted by what frustrates me than what I am excited by. It was easy to share things that DO excite me, or things that HAVE excited me. But responding with what I am excited about now was a little harder.

So, here goes...

I am excited that change is in the wind in my work. Some great opportunities are opening up, and I am excited about them. I feel good about who I am, and am excited about what that means for my career. I am excited about where each of my kids are at in their growth. I am excited about my marriage and the new honesty and renewed commitment my wife and I have recently found- great stuff. I am excited about the success that appears to lie ahead for my wife's business. I am excited about becoming a grandfather soon (I hope). I am also excited about the car project I am working on with the local Boy Scout troop. I am excited that I am going to see my Dad soon.

What about you- What are YOU excited about??

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
4/20/14 1:27 p.m.

I'm excited about getting home to see my wife and kid at the end of the week for the first time in almost two months. I'm also excited that in a couple more months they'll be able to move here and we can start over again as a family.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
4/20/14 1:37 p.m.

The adrenaline rush of acceleration - race cars, motorcycles, airplanes - it's all good. Knowing several times a week my job dramatically improves and changes people's lives. learning new skills (welding, fabricating, guitar, languages...). Making plans to start a business.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/20/14 1:44 p.m.

Good question, Paul.

Lately I have been on a path of finding myself. I have discovered that I have skills I did not truly believe I possessed, such as patience and forgiveness, and I am proud of the person I am becoming. I have gained confidence and respect for myself, something easier said than done, and I am a much happier person for it, and that is exciting.

But I think I may be even more excited about mazdeuce's new grosh.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
4/20/14 2:31 p.m.

I am excited about going home every day. Since graduating last year, I no longer have an infinite amount of assignments to fill my time. After 7 years of roommates, and the last few years in cheap, dingy living arrangements, I can finally call my abode my home.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
4/20/14 2:33 p.m.

I'm excited about going riding tomorrow. My first race is next weekend, and I haven't been on the bike yet this year.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/14 2:36 p.m.

I'm excited about my new miata and continuing my Midlana build. I'm nervously excited about the possibility of fostering a child.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
4/20/14 2:42 p.m.

I'm excited about playing with my (new to me) camera. It's fun pointing it at cars, because quite frankly, cars have kind of stopped being that much fun lately.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
4/20/14 2:56 p.m.

The cancer is in check.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/20/14 3:09 p.m.

^THAT is exciting!^

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
4/20/14 3:25 p.m.
SVreX wrote: ^THAT is exciting!^

Amen to that. It's a long fight still, however. I've got a lot on my side in this fight, however.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/20/14 3:38 p.m.

Racing season is right around the corner. I've got a competitive package and good friends to rub fenders with. I rediscovered skiing with my kids this winter and ended up with a patrol gig for next year... I sat down with a guitar for the first time in 34 years and am looking forward to making some music. The Sun is shining and my family is healthy... I'm all good here for now.

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
4/20/14 4:04 p.m.

I'm happy that my GI bug is finally getting better, and that GRM couldn't have planned the shipment of back issues (renewal special... PS WAY more issues came than I thought!!) to come at a better time than now as I recover. :)

ryanty22
ryanty22 Reader
4/20/14 5:39 p.m.

Spending time with the family and the new adventure of homeschooling.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
4/20/14 5:50 p.m.

I don't get exited anymore.

Just get a warm fuzzy feeling at certain happenings.

corytate
corytate UltraDork
4/20/14 6:09 p.m.

Excited that my career is moving forward again, and my wife is going to be able to go to school soon.
Im excited that she has been selected to enter a scholarship contest for aveda(hair and makeup done on one model to a theme, prize is a FREE RIDE to the school)
im excited about the fact that I have money in the bank after bills and things are lookig good all over.
And im excited I was able to get a couple good friends in on the gig ive got over at hyundai, as well.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
4/20/14 7:19 p.m.

I hate to be negative, but I'm kind of in a low point in my life that nothing excites me anymore. I have had so many let downs in the last few years that I just can't get excited anymore. Every time I get excited about something, something happens or falls through and then I'm bummed out.

I hope it turns around for me, I need something to get excited about.

corytate
corytate UltraDork
4/20/14 7:32 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Things always turn around homeslice. Keep your chin up

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/20/14 7:39 p.m.

I'm excited that I'm moving in with my fiance, but I'm disappointed that it will mean 2 hours a day in the car. That means that I'm looking into a new car, which I am very excited about. I am also excited that we decided to hit fast-forward with our plans and move back "home" sooner rather than later, because while not horribly unhappy with my job, I'm far from happy with it.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/20/14 7:59 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Without the lows, it can be hard to appreciate or even recognize the highs. Just know that this too shall pass.

We are here for you, if you need to talk.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/14 8:07 p.m.

I've always stayed out of these kinds of threads but now I'm posting so brace for "negativity."

Unless I'm experiencing something exciting I'm never excited.

Anticipatory excitement, which is what's mostly being described in here, is for people with potentially promising futures and who haven't struggled so much that every victory feels pyrrhic. For people who haven't suffered so much defeat that any of those pyrrhic victories feels like too little, too late; and that they don't see the looming spectre of defeat in every opportunity.

SBF, if you can still experience anticipatory excitement, even if it gets crushed soon afterwards, then the problems haven't really affected you yet. For now you're just in a rut.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/20/14 8:31 p.m.

I'm excited that my daughter is doing so well in school and is pursuing her dream of being a vet.

I'm excited that I finally have some extra time and a little extra money so I can get my fast fix.

I'm excited that the race car is going back together so well after the Dragon engine failure.

But most of all, I'm glad that I can get excited about things again. There was a period recently where I really thought that was gone forever.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Reader
4/20/14 8:32 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I've always stayed out of these kinds of threads but now I'm posting so brace for "negativity." Unless I'm experiencing something exciting I'm never excited. Anticipatory excitement, which is what's mostly being described in here, is for people with potentially promising futures and who haven't struggled so much that every victory feels pyrrhic. For people who haven't suffered so much defeat that any of those pyrrhic victories feels like too little, too late; and that they don't see the looming spectre of defeat in every opportunity. SBF, if you can still experience anticipatory excitement, even if it gets crushed soon afterwards, then the problems haven't really affected you yet. For now you're just in a rut.

Its all in the mindset, even the pyhrric victories are still victories no matter how small. Perspective man, and you know something if chamging your mindset or surroundings can't help there isn't anything wrong with getting someone to help with that, I did and it really did help

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 New Reader
4/20/14 8:58 p.m.

I'm excited because it's time to decide out what to do with my life post-college and the decision is essentially wide open. Nothing would be keeping me from packing up and moving across the country at the end of next month if I wanted to. I probably won't but it's nice to know that possibilities are there.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/20/14 9:12 p.m.

NOTHING

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

...actually a project at work I've been beating my head against since October is almost ready to ship. So that is pretty sweet.

And I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel for my VW. Good thing, too. I'm a little tired of buying parts for it and it'd be nice to actually put them on the car for a change

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xgmhz0iUGa7JZcxssKgL7T4H4CNxZpfcWi3y7nwfd1wpVPbvj6WIvcML3z6qQZhg