Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/3/18 9:01 a.m.

Ive killed 2 of the cheapest ones available.  Time to spend real money, cause they're a pain to change.

Whats the good oone? Just standard power antenna like they sell at the parts store that dont fit anything, so they fit everything with a little bit of work.

Hoping to stay around 50, but we definitely want something better than the 14 dollar ones ive been buying. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/3/18 4:00 p.m.

Have I finally asked the question The Hive can't answer?

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/18 4:02 p.m.

What about a factory one from the junkyard?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/3/18 5:18 p.m.

My MR2 SC had a trunk mounted power antenna as standard equipment. When the power stopped, I replaced it with an $8 fixed mast antenna. The fixed mast was much better at radio reception. The fixed mast was sort of in the way if you were in the engine bay from the passenger side. Because of this, I kept the mast only finger tight for easy, temporary removal. 

Convert to fixed mast and save money,  have nothing to break and get better reception. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/3/18 5:54 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

The fixed antenna was shaved during the restoration.  Power antennas went in when hidden antennas proved unsatisfactory as far as reception goes. It doubles as a repair of some unobtanium trim around the bed. (This is on the 64).

I actually like having the power antenna.  It does it for me, and with the way my head unit operates only goes up when i have the radio selected as source. Which is very nice.

As far as a junkyard retrofit: what should I be looking for? Only things i can think of that used them are 80s Cadillac. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/3/18 6:07 p.m.

'90-'96 Infiniti Q45 has a rear fender mounted power antenna. 

Not sure of the other year Q45s. 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/18 7:05 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to John Welsh :

As far as a junkyard retrofit: what should I be looking for? Only things i can think of that used them are 80s Cadillac.

No clue, just figured that OEM quality was probably far better than latest cheap Chinese.  No car manufacturer wants to be smeared over an $8 antenna that doesn't work...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ivvbRZoxUsAGu4C2SMVgmy5dfOhBSebdZFJwm8XIGF2sBHIulEJCqRP80KAhv9EM