1 2
cghstang
cghstang Dork
1/28/14 8:31 a.m.

I got an email from a friend trying to identify these objects. They are 1 inch diameter 3.75 inches long.

GRM Go!

Powar
Powar SuperDork
1/28/14 8:40 a.m.

They look like whisk attachments for something.

That's probably wrong.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/28/14 8:41 a.m.

Are the walls/sides flexible or rigid?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork

Corn cob holder test units. The rails and open end simulate the slickness and ungrabbability of a buttered corn cob

But seriously, I'm totally stumped

edwardh80
edwardh80 New Reader

They look like those doo-hickies that you put around a flexible pipe to get it to hold a fixed position.

wae
wae Reader
1/28/14 8:45 a.m.

Cages for really small birds?

It almost looks like a protective cage for a lightbulb, but I can't think of a bulb in those dimensions off the top of my head.

EvanB
1/28/14 8:46 a.m.

The only thing I can think of is the end looks like a snake eyes tamperproof screw.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
1/28/14 8:47 a.m.

Foot Pegs for a bike or motorcycle?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
1/28/14 8:48 a.m.

Fuel filters for the inlet of a carburetor? Anodes to prevent cooling system corrosion?

wae
wae Reader
1/28/14 8:49 a.m.
EvanB wrote: The only thing I can think of is the end looks like a snake eyes tamperproof screw.

But it doesn't look like there are threads at the bottom. Like, maybe, there are some sort of posts that come up?

EvanB
1/28/14 8:51 a.m.

Yea, I don't think it has anything to do with that. I just can't come up with anything closer.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
1/28/14 8:52 a.m.

I'm thinking women's curlers.

GameboyRMH
1/28/14 9:01 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I'm thinking women's curlers.

Decent guess but those have end plates (like a spool) to keep hair from slipping off the sides. I imagine these would be a PITA as hair curlers.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
1/28/14 9:13 a.m.

They remind me of either faucet handles or cabinet door handles.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/28/14 9:16 a.m.

Paint rollers? The handle pushes into the open end?

EDIT: Some sort of hot air dryer element. Something slips over that and hot air is passed in thru the center hole.

GameboyRMH
1/28/14 9:19 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Paint rollers? The handle pushes into the open end?

This is it. I knew I'd seen something like them before but couldn't remember where.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/28/14 9:24 a.m.

Toilet paper roll spindle.

GameboyRMH
1/28/14 9:28 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: EDIT: Some sort of hot air dryer element. Something slips over that and hot air is passed in thru the center hole.

Unlikely...looks like they're made of steel so the resistance would be very low. Also it would be a poor design for heat transfer, the heating elements would be flat and wavy, or coiled.

RossD wrote: Toilet paper roll spindle.

Haha even more likely than "paint roller" considering the size.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/28/14 9:30 a.m.

Chines Hootus Trap

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
1/28/14 9:38 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Paint rollers? The handle pushes into the open end?

I rather think it is something like this. Lots of wire supports though, which makes me suspect it's meant to take quite a load, like texturing or pressing, not merely painting.

Oddly, I do find images of lint rollers having weirdly high counts of wire supports.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/14 9:52 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I'm thinking women's curlers.

Yup. Heated rollers. Open on one end to go over the heating element.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/28/14 9:59 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: EDIT: Some sort of hot air dryer element. Something slips over that and hot air is passed in thru the center hole.
Unlikely...looks like they're made of steel so the resistance would be very low. Also it would be a poor design for heat transfer, the heating elements would be flat and wavy, or coiled.

I meant like a ferrule at the end of a hot air blower. So... like something tubular that needed drying/curing is slipped over the outside and hot air is blown into the open end of the tube.

I'm not sure it is steel either - could be copper or brass by color.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/28/14 10:12 a.m.

I was going to say some sort of fancy bike grips, but the heated hair curlers seems to be the best guess so far. It would have to have some sort of fancy octopus like heating duct apparatus though (it would look real funky).

Perhaps they are heated using the bottom hole THEN put on.

They do appear to have a bit of a copper tint.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/28/14 10:17 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: it's meant to take quite a load

See. Told ya.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/28/14 10:43 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Chines Hootus Trap

'Insert penis size joke here'.

Haha, I said insert... hahahah

1 2