1 2 3
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
11/6/18 11:41 a.m.

Not talking about important stuff like married perfect mate or started a family or invested in Apple IPO...just mundane experiences.  Ill start...

1. Raced a number of cars, motorcyles, boats through the years.

2.  Spent 3 months island hopping 23 islands in Caribbean with only a backpack.

3. Spent 2 months wandering aimlessly through Alaskan/canadian wilderness.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/6/18 11:44 a.m.

In the years 2005-2009 I raced sailboats off all 4 coasts of the US each year.  

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/6/18 11:45 a.m.

1. Finished my masters degree

2. Went road racing when I was still young and dumb enough to think I'd be good at it

3. Stayed close to home and family rather than moving away, as much as I hate winter.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
11/6/18 11:54 a.m.

1. Owned my own business

2. Ran a very competitive (If not the fastest) drag bike

3. Jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at 12,000 feet

( And I have no desire to do 2 of those three things again)

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/6/18 11:58 a.m.

1.  Enlisted in the Army.  The amount of drive and self sufficiency it instilled in me has been huge.

2.  Discovered and rediscovered autocross.  Having a focus for my automotive enthusiasm is helpful.

3.  Got LASIK done.  Being able to see is just the coolest thing ever.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/6/18 12:00 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

Knock a zero off that jump and come back to me.. wink

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/18 12:03 p.m.

Concentrated on the fun in life. I may retire a little later but it has been worth every dime. 

Shared my fun with my wife and kids. We did and do pretty much everything as a family. 

And as hard as this will be for some to accept, dropped out of school. 

Maybe some of those aren't exactly mundane.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
11/6/18 12:06 p.m.

-Drove across the country

-Took up rallying

-Learned to ride a motorcycle

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/6/18 12:08 p.m.

Roped solo of Half Dome. (very easy route) 

Drove to Alaska and back with my sister. 

Built the Grosh. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/18 12:09 p.m.

I think of the small decisions that had a big effect on my life. I only have time for two.

When I was a year out of high school, and hadn't been any more ambitious than to be a poor quality employee doing Lawn Service, the recession hit (1973/74).

Since I'd already worked for a couple of the employment options, quit one job and got fired from the other, I accepted an offer to be a groom at the harness race horse training track.

I planned to do it for just that winter, but I found that I loved it and loved the responsibility that comes with caring for an animal. I stayed with it for 12 years, worked on 50 tracks, and got my trainers and driver's license. I only drove 30 races, but it was a really fun career that I didn't know I wanted.

In 1986, I had an apartment in Lakewood New Jersey. I was training at a training center West of Freehold, and racing horses at The Meadowlands, Yonkers Raceway, and Garden State Park.

I got a catalog in the mail at my apartment, with all of the classes available at the local Community College. I leafed through it, and saw a class in repairing outboard motors

I like to fish, and I figured that if I could fix outboards, I would be able to own a boat without spending too much money.

Since I was thinking of taking that class (although not seriously), I mentioned it to my dad on my weekly call home. His response was to immediately stop talking and say "I'll talk to you next week."

When I next talked to him, he told me that I should quit my career on the racetrack, move home to Florida, move in with his parents, and start school at the community college. He said I should then transfer to the University of Florida and apply to veterinary school.

Well obviously, he had lost his mind! Although I had the 3rd highest SAT in the county, I had also graduated from high school with a 1.8 GPA (it doesn't matter if you get an A on every test if you only come to class on test day).

Still, I figured you never turn down a chance to get an education.

I never took the class in Outboard Motor Repair, but I've been a veterinarian for 21 years.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
11/6/18 12:27 p.m.

1) Spent my Junior year of college in Germany

2) Quit drinking alcohol

3) Haven’t given up on completing my bucket list while I’m still young enough to enjoy it

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/6/18 12:43 p.m.

1) lived for 6 years as a full-time RVer and lived in 8 states and one Canadian province

2) traveled abroad multiple times with just a backpack and a camera

3) got a college degree; not necessarily for the degree itself, but for the way it taught me about life.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/6/18 12:54 p.m.

1. Camped across the west for three weeks with a plan as a 17 year old high school graduate to visit Yellowstone, SLC, Wyoming, and the Rockies. It gave me my love for traveling and finding my way with a basic map.

2. Adopting a girl from Korea when I thought I was finished with having kids and was thinking of focusing on me.  It gave me my love for other cultures and their sacrifices.  

3. Accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior.  It gave me my love for souls.  

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
11/6/18 12:58 p.m.

Got into stage rally after telling myself for the better part of 20 years that I had to get into stage rally

Getting pilot license and using that to make a living,

Whilst running my own business. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/6/18 1:13 p.m.

Played a division 1 team sport. It taught me responsibility to a team and the importance of carrying responsibilities that may not be your strongest suit and that you may not like, in order to allow a teammate to succeed for the greater good of the unit. 

Fought for something when being told that it was okay to give up and that it was likely a lost cause.

Chosen to do what I enjoy over opportunities that would pay far more. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/6/18 1:26 p.m.

Went back to school for engineering right after finishing an English degree ( Hard decision)

Worked and lived overseas ( choice $ luck)

Got married (luck?)

Picked Canada over USA to live ( coin toss)

Started a  brewery ( financial decision)

Had offspring ( legal but not wise)

Changed career to robotics/automation ( luck)

Built the shop ( decision)

Changed career to what I do now ( decision)

white_fly
white_fly Reader
11/6/18 1:46 p.m.

Realized everything in life is temporary. It cannot be overstated how much that has improved my outlook on life.

Skipped college and figured out I like working at height with my hands.

Traveling, traveling and more traveling.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/6/18 3:22 p.m.

Recorded an album while I was in College. 

OLOA.

Solo Nationals.

Visited all 50 US states. 

Marched the opening ceremonies for the first Brickyard 400

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/6/18 3:28 p.m.

Quit drinking/drugging

Quit smoking (still vape, buut working on it)

Found bbq. The real stuff from hole in the wall places and festivals. 

Kept my first car

Went to jail

(Yes, five. I'm an overachiever)

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/6/18 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

1Landed planes on a bouncing rolling aircraft carrier after the Navy taught me how. 

Raced and beat Sir Stirling Moss driving the factory Aston Martin DBR2  in The Bahama’s  driving my own homemade Jaguar based Blackjack Spl. 

Built my own house my way, mostly by myself.  

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/18 4:14 p.m.

Learned to weld.

Bicycled (extensively as an adult).

Moved out West.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
11/6/18 4:21 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Finally! A pic of house....cool

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
11/6/18 4:29 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Cool looking place!

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
11/6/18 4:40 p.m.

Got to stage rally for 10 years back in the early years, 1975-1985.

Resumed playing saxophone after a 25 year layoff.  Still playing concert and rock/blues bands 30 years later, tenor, alto and soprano, with a baritone on order.

Decided to send a story and photos to some new magazine called Auto-X back in 1985.  180 published stories in more than 20 magazines later, still writing.

Traveled to my ancestral homelands (Scotland, Isle of Man, Ireland) twice so far.

Retired to the mountains in southwestern Colorado.  Took us 20 years to get here, but we have found our true home.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/6/18 4:49 p.m.

Mostly, I'm thankful that I

1. Married a good guy

2. Removed myself from my crazy mom's life

3. Sold my soul to the devil for fun and profit

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8nY2ocSDjRlvR00yAXNR4c1VBu9EOwNSRYq1mEb6R4ykoEOJiblnAjXeS2FrYhX1