1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 59
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
10/31/17 10:59 p.m.
ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/1/17 7:16 p.m.

Warning, nerd content:

I'm still making my way though this:  https://www.amazon.com/Replay-History-Video-Tristan-Donovan/dp/0956507204

I used to plow through books when traveling.  A 2 year old makes that nearly impossible though :(

I also recently read https://www.amazon.com/Masters-Doom-Created-Transformed-Culture/dp/0812972155 and enjoyed it a lot.  

Also Books 1 and 2 of the Doom novels.  Ultra cheesy, but still fun.  I'd read 3 and 4, but #3 is nearly impossible to find.

One more recommendation from the past 2 years:  What If? from the creator of XKCD is really entertaining.  Thing Explainer is also really fun, but more of a coffee table book both in size and reading enjoyment.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
11/1/17 7:21 p.m.

I'm working on "Crusade in Europe" by Dwight D. Eisenhower.   Written in 1948.   Fascinating so far. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/1/17 7:31 p.m.

Im running through the dark tower series

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
11/22/17 10:14 p.m.

Reading these two side by side or chapter by chapter.  Nice balance.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
11/23/17 3:34 p.m.

Just finishing Victor David Hanson's "The Second World Wars" which is berkleying terrific. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/23/17 7:02 p.m.

Gilliamesque. It’s pretty OK, he’s pretty self deprecating which I didn’t expect.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
11/23/17 7:25 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

That's next in line for me. Right now, about halfway through Gods and Legions, which is proving to be a much better book than I was expecting. I think some of my other historical fiction experiences wrongly soured me on the genre.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/23/17 8:46 p.m.

Aynone read Artemis yet?

Its the next Audiobook in my queue (wife is currently listening to it, so I can't jump in without messing up her place in the book).

Right now I'm listening to some shorter comedian books on my runs.  Trevor Noah's book Born a Crime was excellent.  Sarah Silverman's book The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee is amusing so far.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/24/17 4:56 p.m.

I’m reading the most recent 3 or 4 of Laurie King’s Beekeeper’s Apprentice series. If you haven’t read them, I recommend them. They should be read in order, but there is no huge overarching storyline, so if you don’t go past the first couple, you won’t be left out in the cold. 

They are a new take on Sherlock Holmes, from an interesting perspective, and fairly well written. 

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
11/24/17 5:04 p.m.

Reading Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. I always love his books but I should know by now not to pick up a new series if it's not finished yet. This is book 3, just released this month, of ten. 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
11/24/17 6:25 p.m.

I am currently reading John Quincy Adams by Harlow Giles Unger. I have to say that by his mid 30's JQA ( about half way through ) had already lived a very interesting life and was a played a number of key parts in the nation's early history.

And keep a dictionary handy, quite a few inquiries.

Paul B

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
11/25/17 10:32 a.m.

Anything pertaining to the cities of Homosassa or  Crystal River Florida .  Indian burial  mound articles .  I  have  written my December  editorial for  our  magazine Nature Coast Adventurer . This exercise in publishing has forced  me to get my  InTeLLectual guarD uP . Also the song of the Sirenians and  Homer's Oddyssey as it might or may be linked to  Manateee's

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
11/25/17 1:50 p.m.

I just blazed through Wolverine Bros. Freight and Storage by Steve Ulfelder, loved it!

Before that I read Last Day by Richard Sears. It started off very gritty then brightened up a bit and took an odd turn that I liked. 

Now I'm re-reading some James Rollins until I snag some new books.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/17 3:12 p.m.

The new job is killing my reading time. I’ve been stuck on the same book, Dark Star by Alan Furst for almost a year.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
11/26/17 8:19 a.m.

Currently reading a few books by joe verde. Not my normal nerdy reading material but if it helps me at my job then it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
11/26/17 9:36 p.m.

Can't believe it's been a while since I've read this thread....

Here's what I've read over the past year or so and a brief synopsis.

1. I finished Cyrptonomicon - Book never really got much better and I was disappointed.   Oh well, we all have different tastes
  2. Reading Artemis (Andy Weir) now - Not quite as "techy" as The Martin, but I'm enjoying it so far.
  3. Astrophysics for People In a Hurry (Neil de Grasse Tyson) - Not as deep as other books of this type, but not quite light reading.  I think it simplified it well for us plebians.
  4. Jenson Button: Life to the Limit - His days of karting with his dad made me tear up thinking about what my son and I have been through.  He dings a few drivers, but not too bad.  I enjoyed it, but felt like a very light conversational book. 
  5. Contact (Carl Sagan) - I'm a HUGE fan of the movie, but had never read the book.  Of course, the movie is differnt, but more simplified.  Sagan has a tendency to ramble in detail that never really has a point later.  I'm usually ok with detail if there's some reason or backstory, but his seemed a little overdone.
  6. Hammered through the Harry Potter series just to cleanse the mental palate.  Still enjoyed it, though.
  7. In the Garden of the Beast (Erik Larson) - About our ambassador to Germany and his family (specifically his daughter) leading up to WWII.  Not as good as other Larson books I've read, but if you like history in that time period, it's worth a read.
  8. At Home (Bill Bryson) - Cool book about the history of rooms in a house and how they became what they are today.  Neat book on a different perspective of history.
  9. Station Eleven (Emily St. John Mandel) - It's listed as science fiction, but it's more of a "potential future/super bug" story.  Fairly easy and a bit suspenseful.  Not a bad read, but I doubt I'd read more of her work.
  10. The Expanse Series (James S. A. Corey) - I struggled with the first book, but it got much better over the series.  Very cool sci fi series (and has a call out to "The Martian" in one of the later books).  I really enjoyed it.  Haven't seen the TV series because I'm afraid I'd be disappointed.
  11. Seveneves (Neal Stephenson) - Another sci fi as I was in that mood for a while.  I really struggled with this one (another too many characters and detail, felt like I needed to keep notes), but it did get better and the detail made me think about it after reading it.  Basically still enjoying it after I finished. 

And a bunch more, Paul Simon bio, a book about using genes to bring back dinosaurs (Bring Back the King), the Dresden Files (a modern wizard series, very good), plus plenty I'm forgetting.  I have a very wide series of tastes, so I'm always looking for new ideas.

-Rob

Andrewsky
Andrewsky
11/26/17 10:04 p.m.

I am reading some stories in wattpad right now particularly Phoenix Series 2.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
11/26/17 10:23 p.m.

Busy churning through the Aubrey / Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian.

These are the books the movie "Master and Commander" was based on. I loved the movie, I'm on book four of twenty-something and I have to say that Russell Crowe played Jack Aubrey very well.

I've never been a fan of sea stories but these are great.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
11/27/17 6:49 p.m.

Just finished "The Last Punisher" about Seal Team THREE in Ramadi.   I have a very tough time identifying with extremely fit guys who seem to thrive on pain and the challenge of killing as many people as they can...  Glad they're on our side, though.  :)

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/17 8:08 p.m.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
11/27/17 8:11 p.m.
stroker
stroker UltraDork
11/27/17 8:17 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

You need to read "Between Silk & Cyanide". 

Gary
Gary SuperDork
11/27/17 8:18 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/27/17 8:40 p.m.

Just finished a novel, “All Those Explosions Were Someone Else’s Fault.”

A fun take on superheroes and super villains— though they aren’t called superheroes in the book, as the super villains had the term trademarked to prevent its use.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 59

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gGf3aeEJyKFVVdRyOUAcKz31SAsPRkq9L5XstpUbCEdyxVs8mwvr2LQwzh3DJ1sF