1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 59
chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/16/19 2:29 p.m.

Dark Matter - it’s been pretty good so far, feels like it should be a movie.

Edit: weird to read a book in one sitting but that was a pretty good read.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/16/19 5:01 p.m.
chandler said:
914Driver said:

Educated - - by Tara Westover.  Girl raised by a family of survivalists, got out at 16.

College was the first time she ever heard the word Holocaust.  Thrilling, sad, enlightening, disturbing.

My wife is reading this now, I’m reading it next

my wife said they lived near ruby ridge but she didn’t realize it was a known thing; she thought it was one of her dads stories.

I finished this book last night and it was pretty disturbing. She writes really well and makes her presence felt strongly but wow there’s a lot of heartbreak in between the covers.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
3/18/19 9:56 a.m.

Chrysler Slant Six Engines - How to Rebuild and Modify  by Doug Dutra ("Doctor Dodge"), a real guru of the Leaning Tower of Power.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
3/19/19 8:06 a.m.

I just finished the Otherland series- four really long books of near future Sci-Fi adventure.  I recommend if you want to read a LOT of words.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/19/19 9:19 a.m.

Still working on the last hundred pages of Cryptonomicon, but I just took advantage of a library trip to get Stephenson's Anathem for afters.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/19/19 9:22 a.m.

Started Isaac Asimov prelude to foundation before heading to Atlanta. Haven’t had much reading time. 

Robertiiiino
Robertiiiino New Reader
3/19/19 11:00 a.m.

In reply to JFX001 :

WOW, really?) I am writing an essay on canoes!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
3/29/19 9:46 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant :

Tell me Obi wan have you heard of the euro GM slant four used by Vauxhall especially as pertains to the Chevette? smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
3/29/19 9:48 p.m.

Just started this one. It deals with the authors loss of his mother and brother. It is Catholic.

Very short and so far very easy to read.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
3/29/19 10:00 p.m.

I'm reading "Wings of the Rising Sun" by Mark Chambers.  It's about Allied intelligence gathering on Imperial Japanese aircraft and is quite good.  They're covering plane types I'd never heard of. 

AmandaOrleander2
AmandaOrleander2 New Reader
3/30/19 9:50 a.m.

I look for some canoe studying help at the canoe store... is good read!  I recommend to all spammers!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/19 9:48 a.m.

I enjoy the spam and canoe edits

eastpark
eastpark Reader
4/1/19 9:51 a.m.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading spamalot whilst lounging in my canoe and dining on delicious Spam. 

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
4/1/19 10:21 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Regis Martin has a very intriguing lecture style.  I love listening to the way he speaks.  He's a big fan of Hans Urs von Balthasar. I haven't *read* any of his works, though.

Not to be confused with Ralph Martin, who's also a quite an impressive author and speaker.  I enjoyed (but felt a little overwhelmed by) his Fulfillment of All Desire.

In other news:

I just finished rereading I, Robot by Isaac Asimov.  With today's advances in AI and machine learning, some bits of that book are starting to move towards science fact.  Being beaten by algorithm can be quite a depressing thought.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/12/19 6:38 p.m.

Almost finished reading the new novel in the Expanse series.

berkeley me

stroker
stroker UltraDork
4/12/19 7:08 p.m.
Karacticus said:

Almost finished reading the new novel in the Expanse series.

berkeley me

Just picked up Cibola Burn.  I can't hear what you're saying, lalalalalalalalala...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/14/19 1:57 p.m.

Inspired by my recent trip to NYC:

About 1/2 way through. Its an interesting and entertaining collection of remembrances. They do bust some myths and set the record straight on a few things while confirming others.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/14/19 7:37 p.m.
Duke said:

Still working on the last hundred pages of Cryptonomicon, but I just took advantage of a library trip to get Stephenson's Anathem for afters.

I’m about a third of the way through Neal Stephenson’s Anathem now. It’s kind of reminiscent of Asimov’s Foundation except told on the small scale rather than the epic scale.  

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
4/15/19 9:00 p.m.

The master and his emissary by Ian Mcgilcrist, and Dostoyevsky’s notes from the underground. 

AvadaKedavra
AvadaKedavra New Reader
4/16/19 7:05 a.m.

I usually love to read online on my way to work. So now i'm  reading Tolkien TLotR. I love to read on my canoe out on The Black Lake, so i use online services to read on my Iphone or iPad and it's really convenient.

But this kid keeps coming up yelling "Expelliarmus", and then my iPad disappears... just like this canoe.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/8/19 9:05 p.m.

Someone mentioned Dale Jr book called Racing to the Finish and how it told the story of his concussions. My wife broke her skull in college and has had a few concussions with horses since then. 

I really wanted some more perspective on how people deal with concussions and what people endure.

I am halfway done and its really giving me the insight I wanted. If you have any interest in traumatic brain injuries within the context of a well known NASCAR personality, this is your book.

If you are just looking for a racing book, you will be disappointed, as every anecdote about racing is told for context of his injuries.

I really like it, it reads like a personal conversation.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/19 9:12 p.m.

The Orphanage series by Robert Buettner, highly recommended if you like military scifi

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
5/10/19 12:35 p.m.

Just finished Bruce Springsteen's eponymous autobiography.  Took him seven years but he wrote the whole thing himself.  His talents translate very well to the printed word.  I could smell the scene on every page.  Well-written and unsparing of himself for an autobiography.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
5/10/19 1:55 p.m.

Galaxy outlaws by js Morin. 85 hours long on audible for 1 credit. I spend 12 hours a day in the loader so I got tired of music pretty quick. So far it's been a good book. Not the greatest literary work I've ever read but definitely a solid way to pass a 70 hour work week.

einy
einy HalfDork
5/12/19 7:20 p.m.

Triumph Cars in America, by Michael Cook.  Just started it, but great so far.  Looks at the sales and marketing side of the brand in the 50’s and beyond from the perspective of someone involved in the day to day.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 59

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Odn8K20Qse9dFvrVstCEL1YBPgthAFhzPagXZoyTvMWYszCp7hg8FssFxz819E0D