1 2 3
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/6/19 1:36 p.m.

Speaking of The Wire and rewatching (because there is nothing else as good) has anyone ever found it's predecessor,  the TV show, Homicide: Life on the Street by way of any streaming service?  

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/19 1:50 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I haven't seen it streaming anywhere which is surprising because it was a really good show. I ended up buying myself the box set for Christmas a few years ago. 

I forgot about Bosch on Amazon, it's a pretty good detective show set in LA. I'd also watch the Americans if you haven't seen it yet.  It and The Wire were probably the most into a tv series I've ever gotten.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/6/19 1:53 p.m.

Do I really need to take to the internet to tell you to watch The Americans yet again when I've just been doing it through the wall for months?

We're almost done with Veep. Season 1 is bleak, but after that it gets quite a bit better and funnier. 

Also watching Justified on AmaPrime. Season 1 is pretty standard weekly crime procedural, but after that it turns into very good long-form binge-worthy prestige tv.

Leaning toward Man in the High Castle after we finish Justified, and we also need to track down Season 2 of Killing Eve and Season 5 of Luther somehow.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/6/19 2:04 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Ooookaaaaay. But you do realize that the husband in "The Americans" looks like Lee Harvey Oswald's even less hot cousin?And no, I don't watch shows just to look at pretty men... but it doesn't hurt.

And "Justified" is too close to my family history to be entertaining.

Margie

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/6/19 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Ah, I checked, I can get the DVDs via the library. 

I also enjoyed Amazon's Sneeky Pete

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/6/19 2:20 p.m.

The Mandalorian on Disney+

The Crown on Netflix

The Expanse and Grand Tour on Prime (although I need to finish watching the end of series 3 of TGT).

Otherwise, much of my streaming is on YouTube: Forgotten Weapons (daily), Acorn to Arabella (weekly), Project Binky (sporadically - supposed to be a new one this weekend) along with a few others.

Since I have Disney+ for the next 11 months, at some point I should watch all of the Marvel movies in sequence.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
12/6/19 2:46 p.m.

I really enjoy The Repair Shop on Netflix. It's stupid restoration "reality" TV and I love it.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/6/19 2:53 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Ooookaaaaay. But you do realize that the husband in "The Americans" looks like Lee Harvey Oswald's even less hot cousin?And no, I don't watch shows just to look at pretty men... but it doesn't hurt.

Margie

I can appreciate it being close to the family stories, as it were, but you're missing out on one of the best on screen chemistries in the past couple decades in my opinion.  Timothy Oliphant and Walter Goggins are fantastic together. Both tragically flawed in the way a lawman, who's actually a dick, and a criminal, who's not entirely a bad guy can be. 

Thanks for the reminder JG. Been meaning to add it to the repeat for bkgrnd list.

Does anyone else do that? I have shows that I like for background while working on other things. More than music, but can be more than half ignored, too. Football is great for this.

Wally
12/6/19 3:06 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

Thankful I hadn't made the connection to Oswald and the guy from the Americans.  It was still the best show on tv in years.  I have a couple odd recommendations I liked but the wife hated. One is Baskets with Louie Anderson and the other is the Last OG with a Tracy Morgan. I assume my wife's problem with both are stroke related and not a reflection on my sense of humor. 

In reply to John Welsh :

I keep meaning to watch Sneaky Pete.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/6/19 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Sneaky Pete requires some suspension of reality with questions like, "how would they not recognize?" but Americans has some of that too. They are both just more enjoyable if you agree to buy in on the premise. 

In the Americans I sometimes thought they could be better disquised but then as a TV show, if they were too disquised it may be hard to follow that this is the same character. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/6/19 3:35 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

"Big Little Lies"--Monterey backdrop, great cast, rich people who can't resist effing up their lives: what's not to like?

Check out Dead to Me with Christina Applegate.  Also has fancy houses and lead fems. 2nd season should be coming out pretty soon.

The Politition is pretty interesting and a bit querky (think the movie Election)

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/6/19 3:51 p.m.

Best thing on Netflix IMO is the Dragon Prince. 3 parts out now with more to come. Disney+ has a bunch I haven't watched yet. Mandolorian is good though the most recent episode didn't do much for me. Most of my TV time recently has been spent trying to beat Mario 64.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
12/6/19 4:10 p.m.

Firefly is great

legion was incredible 

rick and morty is pretty awesome  

I'll try to think of some more 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela
12/6/19 4:28 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

Did you watch the Righteous Gemstones yet? Because you should. 

Also, Bojack Horseman is worth a watch. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/6/19 4:34 p.m.

Jack Ryan

Peaky Blinders

Justified

The Good Place

That is all I can thing of right now.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
12/6/19 4:54 p.m.
bluej said:

Does anyone else do that? I have shows that I like for background while working on other things. More than music, but can be more than half ignored, too. Football is great for this.

I find that the shows I watched live are the ones that end up playing in the background when I"m doing housework or garage work.  Right now, I'm going through Monk. Previously, it was Cheers, Friends, Fraiser, Taxi. etc.  Well, and MASH, but that seems to also be on TV somewhere.  I didn't realize, however, how much of the shows are cut out on TV vs. streaming.  Nor do I understand how I can rewatch MASH over and over and over again and still enjoy it.  I was just a kid when it was on "live" so I don't think it's nostalgia.

-Rob

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/19 5:07 p.m.
Wally said:

If Amazon still has PBS's America's Experience series up that's an easy series to get sucked into.  

PBS has more of it available on their site/app.  Jus' Sayin'

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/19 5:08 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Do I really need to take to the internet to tell you to watch The Americans yet again when I've just been doing it through the wall for months?

We're almost done with Veep. Season 1 is bleak, but after that it gets quite a bit better and funnier. 

Also watching Justified on AmaPrime. Season 1 is pretty standard weekly crime procedural, but after that it turns into very good long-form binge-worthy prestige tv.

Leaning toward Man in the High Castle after we finish Justified, and we also need to track down Season 2 of Killing Eve and Season 5 of Luther somehow.

Don't forget Patriot, only 2 seasons, but damn do you just feel for the guy.

Wally
12/6/19 5:46 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

I need to get back to Patriot.  That's another one the wife didn't care for.  

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/6/19 6:37 p.m.
bluej said:
Marjorie Suddard said:

Margie

I can appreciate it being close to the family stories, as it were, but you're missing out on one of the best on screen chemistries in the past couple decades in my opinion.  Timothy Oliphant and Walter Goggins are fantastic together. Both tragically flawed in the way a lawman, who's actually a dick, and a criminal, who's not entirely a bad guy can be. 

Interesting trivia: Olyphant (who's been one of my favorite actors ever since his bit part as Todd the drug dealer in "Go") actually auditioned for the part of Iron Man. as he tells it, he was walking out of the audition room and bumped in to RDJ who was walking in and he pretty much said to himself "Well, I guess I'm not getting this one..."

Walton Goggins played Sonny Burch in "Ant Man and the Wasp." In the comics, Burch was sort of the incompetent version of Tony Stark, acquiring old Stark patents or trying to reverse engineer stolen Stark tech. Frequently Iron Man and/or Captain America would have to swoop in and save American soldiers or agents from defective or malfunctioning Burch tech.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/6/19 7:24 p.m.

Did you watch Good Omens?  Watch Good Omens

I also recommend Dead To Me. DW heard about that and we both enjoyed it. 

I assume you've watched all the Better Call Sauls?  New season arriving in February. 

I tried Mr Robot and enjoyed it, but they tried so hard to make it unfollowable that they succeeded in making it unfollowable, and thus unwatchable for me. YMMV. 

The first couple of seasons of Vikings were excellent but then they killed off the main character and the story took a long arc I didn't enjoy as much. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
12/6/19 8:13 p.m.

I’ve been watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars with the 8 year old.

Probably not what you’re looking for but I enjoy it way more than anything else she likes to watch.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
12/6/19 8:20 p.m.

Dr who is a great series that doesn't get enough credit. The latest dr is E36 M3 though. Matt Smith is the best dr. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/19 9:07 p.m.

urine

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
12/14/20 8:54 a.m.

Manhunt: Deadly games on Netflix. I almost didn't watch it because of the cheesy title but it's really really good. It's one full season all about the Atlanta Olympic bombing/Richard jewell/Eric Rudolph. It's a dramatized version, not a full on documentary. And the guy that plays Richard Jewell is the guy that played Edmund Kemper in mind hunter, he is an excellent actor. I recommend it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oU4eulY2tjDHCm1WKBVKBV7DJgkk0cZ8QJ72nXBXO0pCi4FeqFVgo44Tc884gZdM