1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/14/13 7:55 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: +1 for denatured alcohol...or vodka in a pinch. Wtf are you "melting" with alcohol???

It can dissolve adhesives as well as ruin the finish on some plastics.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/14/13 8:08 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Wtf are you "melting" with alcohol???

Livers?

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
6/14/13 9:35 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Livers?

My worries?

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
6/14/13 10:22 a.m.

Find some silica gel packs left over from whatever electronics you bought recently. Bake them at low heat ( 150-ish degrees) on a cookie sheet for about 30 minutes to dry out whatever moisture they've absorbed. Wait until they cool and toss them in a ZipLok bag with the phone. Wait a day and check the phone.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
6/14/13 11:52 a.m.
DuctTape&Bondo wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Livers?
My worries?

The last of my flimsy inhibitions?

motomoron
motomoron Dork
6/16/13 10:08 p.m.

Disassemble it, wash all the everything and all the connectors with distilled water, put all the parts in dessicant or rice for a couple days, reassemble.

I just had my Kindle ~all~ the way apart to install a new LCD.

...It was in my messenger bag outside pocket, facing out and it sat against 2 big plastic containers of blistering hot takeaway pho for 20 minutes and the differential expansion in the LCD cracked it...

And it works perfectly. So yank it apart. There's an infinite number of youtube videos of a shaky, mumbling 17 year old disassembling these.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/13 10:53 p.m.

After sitting in rice for a week and a half it came to life. It turned on but wouldn't do anything. A trip down to Barnes and Noble got the latest version of the nook system downloaded and it works fine. Turns out the wife reads a lot of those trashy paperbacks so when the guy got it running it popped up a page of suggested titles. Dozens of pictures of men in open shirts, with chiseled abs and tight... oh where was I? It is running but in the mean time the girls at work bought her a Nook HD for graduation so now it's mine. I need to go to the library to figure out how to borrow books. I could also use some recipes for rice.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
6/30/13 9:11 a.m.
Wally wrote: I could also use some recipes for rice.
  • 1 cup rice
  • 2 cups chicken broth or stock
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • zest of one lemon or lime
  • about 2 tbsp fresh herbs (basil or dill are my go to).

Wash rice as indicated on the rice package. Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan or pot, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and let cook for 15-25 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and serve.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hUCtxREdt82qLmzsEp7RYfs5kKhPlXdUb8oma7RAgaY6StL2KAobVqYyxejTZHat