mtn MegaDork
5/11/18 1:08 p.m.

Looks like a doctors car to me.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/11/18 2:24 p.m.
mtn said:

Looks like a doctors car to me.

Did Dr. Hess go back to Lotuses while we weren't looking?

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
5/11/18 2:26 p.m.

I wonder if a 2zz-ge will fit in one? The price of the kit is pretty reasonable.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/11/18 2:50 p.m.
The0retical said:

I wonder if a 2zz-ge will fit in one? The price of the kit is pretty reasonable.

It would probably be a tight fit as BMC A series engines are pretty tiny. But it can't be harder than the time a couple Chrysler engineers stuffed a 170 slant six in the original.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/18 2:52 p.m.

I asked Westfield about alternate engines a few years ago. They were thinking bike engines, it's pretty much shrink-wrapped around that tiny A.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
5/11/18 4:29 p.m.

The CMC guys were building one up based on a Miata when they folded, I wonder what ever happened to that car.  It was pretty much complete and sitting in the corner of their shop.  

Keith Tanner
5/11/18 4:49 p.m.

It may have been a Kokopelli or something similar. The Kokopelli used a Miata donor and was considerably larger than an Eleven.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
5/11/18 5:11 p.m.

They are wrapped fairly tightly around the engine, but it's a coventry climax twin cam engine, so larger in square footage than a BMC A-series.

Local car club member has a Westfield 11.  I have witnessed people doing triple and quadruple takes when encountering him on the road...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/18 5:48 p.m.

Lotus 11s are really cool, but I never thought that they were good looking. And I Love Lotus. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
5/11/18 5:53 p.m.

However, even in the original Lotus 11 it doesn't take too much of a scoop to fit a BOPR V8...And as usual, flares do make everything awesomer.

Keith Tanner
5/11/18 5:59 p.m.

Ooooooo.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
5/11/18 6:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It may have been a Kokopelli or something similar. The Kokopelli used a Miata donor and was considerably larger than an Eleven.

They were making their own to market next to their 7 kit.  Not sure where the body molds came from or went too.  It was larger than an 11 however, but only marginally so if I remember correctly.  That was a few years ago of course.  They've been gone since what, 2007 or so.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/18 6:03 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Okay... that one is good looking. 

Keith Tanner
5/11/18 6:23 p.m.
racerdave600 said:
Keith Tanner said:

They were making their own to market next to their 7 kit.  Not sure where the body molds came from or went too.  It was larger than an 11 however, but only marginally so if I remember correctly.  That was a few years ago of course.  They've been gone since what, 2007 or so.

It does sound familiar. By the time they shut down, I had stopped believing a word they said.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
5/11/18 6:58 p.m.
travellering said:

They are wrapped fairly tightly around the engine, but it's a coventry climax twin cam engine, so larger in square footage than a BMC A-series.

Local car club member has a Westfield 11.  I have witnessed people doing triple and quadruple takes when encountering him on the road...

SOHC Climax 1100 engine. Not the DOHC  that was in the Lotus 17 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
5/11/18 7:26 p.m.

I used to see that exact car pretty regularly but I can't remember where. North side of Indy maybe?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/11/18 7:47 p.m.

What color was RoddyMac's? Blue?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/18 7:56 p.m.

I'm sure Speed Racer beat it along with the rest of the Alpha Team.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/11/18 8:44 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

Lotus 11

That took one minute.  

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
5/11/18 10:09 p.m.
racerdave600 said:
Keith Tanner said:

I'd been to their shop in Madison before they shut down. I've heard a couple years later that all their molds and templates were sitting in a barn near Ardmore. Haven't heard anything in years though.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
5/12/18 1:18 a.m.
wlkelley3 said:
racerdave600 said:
Keith Tanner said:

I'd been to their shop in Madison before they shut down. I've heard a couple years later that all their molds and templates were sitting in a barn near Ardmore. Haven't heard anything in years though.

The Kokopeli molds are safe and sound: https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16780

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C3PxNHDDJq9jhh7aE1ZRClHrOVTKwHU8S4FSQacfNDLyfd0T2vYv09HFkoVy8BB4