RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/4/19 3:14 p.m.

While it still runs, I have a spare laptop that I'd like to run my 3d printer from. That means leave it in the office, and only really need to go in if there is an error or when the print is done. 

I used to use LogMeIn for this, but it's been a few years and I'm not sure if it is still around. 

the computers in question are my Windows 8.1 Lenovo, and the one that will be relegated to printing duty is a Windows 7 HP. 

I have had trouble in the past doing remote work across different flavors of Windows, I'm hoping in the 5 or 6 years since then that things have changed. 

So what programs do we like these days?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/19 3:46 p.m.

TightVNC is still a thing and works across platforms.

https://www.tightvnc.com/

Not exactly the most secure solution, but as long as you have decent firewalls and only use it internally, its no worse than anything else of similar ilk.

Of course RDP is also a thing (provided the Win7 laptop has the latest RDP patches installed), its a Windows only solution.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/remote-desktop-connection-windows

https://help.business.uconn.edu/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=317

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
1/4/19 3:56 p.m.

LogMeIn is still around, no idea how well it works. I only hear it advertised on the radio.

TeamViewer works reasonably.

I like TightVNC when I'm dealing with my RPi or a Linux machine.

RDP is still my favorite because it's native. It's been improved quite a bit since terminal services and RDS were rolled together to become RDP.

GotoMyPC is out there to if you're an Oracle fan. No experience with it however.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/19 4:02 p.m.

Assuming both machines are patched up, I'd just stick with RDP.

Edit: This is also assuming that you're on the same network, so a lot of the potential security concerns don't exist simply because you're not moving data over the Internet.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/4/19 4:05 p.m.

I have a raspberry pi that is connected to my 3d printer. I can log onto it from any computer in my house via a browser window using Octoprint which is a free open source program.  

No need to have a dedicated PC for your printer that way. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/19 5:29 p.m.

I use VNC over SSH tunnels, that takes care of VNC's flimsy security.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/5/19 6:44 p.m.

Chrome Remote is an extension that works well for free.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/7/19 8:49 a.m.

I used to use TeamViewer, and it worked reasonably well. But that was nearly 4 years ago. 

No remote stuff now since the work laptop comes with me. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/19 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

I've used that in the past and it works pretty well, but IIRC it requires you to accept the connection at the remote PC so it might require a round trip to where the laptop resides.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/7/19 10:00 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

As long as Chrome is signed in with the same account, you shouldn't have to.

RevRico
1/7/19 10:01 a.m.
T.J. said:

I have a raspberry pi that is connected to my 3d printer. I can log onto it from any computer in my house via a browser window using Octoprint which is a free open source program.  

No need to have a dedicated PC for your printer that way. 

My next step. It's just that the laptop is free, and I'm in super savings mode. 

So RDP is free to use and installed on Windows already? Then that's what I'll work with. 

What are the odds it will let me use the laptop webcam top keep an eye on what's going on?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/7/19 10:17 a.m.

RDP on Windows PRO will allow unattended access.  Are you accessing from the same network?

RevRico
1/7/19 10:24 a.m.

Yes, everything will be on the same 5ghz wifi network. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/7/19 10:53 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Gotcha. I spent just under $200 for a Pi, a camera, a SD card, a power supply, a 7" touch screen and a case for it. I designed and printed a doohicky to hold the camera. Bought the stuff at Adafruit.

But $200 is more than $0 and if you can do everything you want to do for free, then it makes sense to go that way.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tad66hZ6zCX8wbq0l0B2OpVSDTjk1E70Obya0ZWJ27peiX0pJWGyRgp4D7O9wPAf