Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/20/18 12:46 p.m.

Looking to hang some tire storage from a poured concrete interior basement wall, as unusual as that situation sounds-- it's the result of the house having full depth foundation dug under the front and back porches, with steel and concrete over the top to make up the deck.  Results in his and hers bunkers, and a basement footprint bigger than the first floor footprint!

Anyway, what do you folks like for anchors?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/20/18 1:12 p.m.

Hilti studs and epoxy

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/20/18 1:18 p.m.

Tap-Con. Make sure to have a hammer drill and the driver kit.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/18 1:24 p.m.

How much weight is going to be on it? 1/4" tapcon screws should be fine. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/20/18 1:45 p.m.

I use Red Head concrete anchors.  Drill the hole with a hammer drill.  But then I'm always trying to tie something down to the concrete, like a building, not put something on a concrete wall.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/20/18 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

I had really bad outcome with my red heads. They kept acting too big for the holes. Maybe it was my error.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/20/18 1:56 p.m.

Red Head concrete anchors.   Drill with a Hilti hammer drill bit.   Don't use other brands.  

I bought two Milwaukee  brand bits and both wore out before I drilled one hole.  Cost for the Hilti bit was the same as one Milwaukee bit. Live and learn

I drilled two holes with the Hilti bit in less than 3 minutes.  You have to do this with a hammer drill, not a regular drill.

Part number on amazon for the one I bought: Hammer drill bit TE-CX 3/8" x 6"                                                                                                                                                

• TE-CX drill bit head is made from special 2-component tungsten carbide and offers superior shock absorption, high resistance to overheating and prolonged life expectancy
  • X-configured carbide head with 4 cutting edges offers optimal drilling performance
  • Each helix-designed carbide cutting edge runs out into its own flute, ensuring superb removal of dust and fragments

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/20/18 1:59 p.m.

My technique is:  Drill the right size and depth hole with a masonary bit in a hammer drill, vacuum out the hole, maybe a shot of air down the hole, put the Red Head in the hole, hit with sledge hammer (either "engineers" AKA "Thor" or my new current favorite, "Drilling" hammer,) tighten nut.  My buildings haven't moved an inch. 

I did use some concrete screws to hold my reloading bench down.  Much smaller than the Red Heads.  I think they were blue and looked kinda like big sheet rock screws.  Bench also hasn't moved since.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/18 2:04 p.m.
tuna55 said:

In reply to Dr. Hess :

I had really bad outcome with my red heads. They kept acting too big for the holes. Maybe it was my error.

Are we still doing phrasing?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
56925x0WNzFIPS4gcjMm0UJU7QEHHSW3YnYhPZpPmZU4l6tXYWph3mLA5rIFyvC2