Jerry
Jerry UberDork
7/12/18 6:38 a.m.

WOR's first rallycross since 2016 was in June.  I was in charge for the first time, but thanks to other volunteers it didn't catch fire.

But the one thing we didn't do was have trophies for the winners.  Luckily it was a joint event with OVR so they had their small orange foam cones with SCCA on them.  I want to have something of our own for our sponsored events, vs leeching off of them...

Ideas?  Links?  Our autocross group has drink-wear (3 sizes for position going from shot glass to large mug), checked their source bargainmug.com and not bad.  Looking at around $2 each for a budget. 

Next event is August 18.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/18 6:43 a.m.

Cheap plastic frames and printed inserts for rallycross. These are pretty cool.

Stickers for autocross.

Another favorite was insulated solo cups a couple of years ago. 

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
7/12/18 6:47 a.m.

I have always thought the trophies of welded scrap parts were cool.  They probably take a lot of time to make, though.

I still have my picture with cheap plastic frame from the 2008 rally-x at National Trail raceway.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
7/12/18 7:07 a.m.

Our club does T-shirts.  A different one every year.  You only get one per season.  It ends up being a kind of cool way to keep track of how long someone has been running with our club.  It also makes up about 80% of my casual clothing.  The club does a large run early in the year in varied sizes.  I'm gonna guess probably less than $10 per shirt in the end.  Towards the end of the year, they usually sell off the remaining stock to people who haven't trophied, so most members/regular attenders end up with one.  I wear mine everywhere, so it also ends up being a conversation starter out in the community, and probably has some "advertising value" as well.

wae
wae SuperDork
7/12/18 7:17 a.m.

Part of the fun is having the trophy thrown at you with a significant amount of velocity so something not soft might put a damper on that... :)

I've got a few of the framed pictures hanging around that I thought were neat.  At one point each event had a "name" like the "Don't Bug Me Rally" with a picture that matched (in that case it was the Blue Beetle that Tim owns now).  I seem to recall that there was a time when the picture for the current points event trophies in each class would be of the car that won the class in the last event, which was cool.

Vinyl and/or magnets are pretty nifty as well.  I've seen some cone-shaped magnets that have a large-medium-small incarnation for first, second, and third.  

What about a Voltron trophy?  Have an end-of-season trophy that would display the points event trophies?  Maybe use a smallish pin or medallion for the individual events and an end of year trophy could consolidate those somehow?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/12/18 7:28 a.m.

I prefer magnets, which is wht my region used when I first started with them in 2009.  "Class Winner" and "Trophy Winner" for 2-#.  I would put a sticky note on the back for what car I was driving (split between three that year), where the event was and how many cars in the class.  Then stick it on the fridge.  Nice, simple and doesn't take up a lot of room.  Recently, there's been some inexplicable push towards pint glasses, which I don't really understand.  They have to be more expensive, take up a ton of room in the truck and for whoever is storing them, and after a few events how many pint glasses does a person really need?  I already have way more than I can use (mostly mtn bike related).

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/12/18 7:36 a.m.

BMC uses glassware, and always has, but they are significantly over $2 each.  We have half pints, pints, and pilsners.  Sometimes we have cookie jar things, too.  I'm not really in charge of procuring trophies.

However, I did take a couple polls among our attendees about what kind of trophies they would like to see, and the majority said they really like ours and that we shouldn't change.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/12/18 8:46 a.m.

My old group did T-shirts. Fall events got long sleeved. The November event was a sweatshirt. I think they might do a floppy hat for one event. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
7/12/18 8:50 a.m.

Vinyl stickers or magnets.  Anything more seems a bit extreme for a podunk local event.

A T-shirt or similar for a season win would be nice.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/12/18 9:26 a.m.

We do stickers and sometimes shirts exclusively at the end of the season. Nothing during the season.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
7/12/18 10:45 a.m.

Those preprinted framed trophies are pretty slick and can be a few dollars with a trip to Walgreens and the Dollar Store.  I would proudly display those.  Way cooler than actual trophies.  

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
7/12/18 10:58 a.m.

I like the cup idea. 

It's an excuse to buy a hobbyist laser setup. If you wanted one anyway.

Then just buy pilsner (1st), pint (2nd) and scotch (3rd) glasses from Burlington, Ross, or The Christmas Tree store for cheap.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/18 11:08 a.m.

I have used cheap gifts intended for kid's birthday parties. Gets a laugh. Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Play-Kreative-Plastic-Golden-Trophy/dp/B01IO054VC/

If you want to personalize them, get a label maker.

wae
wae SuperDork
7/12/18 11:20 a.m.

I got a bunch of plastic jack o lantern trophy looking things from Oriental Trading to use as trophies for a late October event a couple years ago.  Maybe I was the only one, but I thought it was kinda neat.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
7/12/18 11:30 a.m.

You can only accumulate so many physical 'trophies' even when they're as useable as shirts and drink ware.  However, you can never receive too many discounts off future event entries.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
7/12/18 11:45 a.m.

In reply to wae :

That was the event at Opie's place that I actually got 1st in SA out of about 8 entries including Dwayne...  Still have it proudly on a shelf.

I like the magnet ideas, you always have ferrous surfaces that could use sprucing up.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/12/18 12:02 p.m.

Matchbox makes a Datsun 510 rally car. Buy a bunch. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/12/18 12:22 p.m.
The0retical said:

I like the cup idea. 

It's an excuse to buy a hobbyist laser setup. If you wanted one anyway.

Then just buy pilsner (1st), pint (2nd) and scotch (3rd) glasses from Burlington, Ross, or The Christmas Tree store for cheap.

If you have access to a sandblaster, you can do a similar thing with cheap glassware and stencils.

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/12/18 1:04 p.m.

I made these for my Cub Scout Pack Pinewood Derby race this year. Cheap set of Harbor Freight wrenches and a wood plaque from Hobby Lobby

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
7/12/18 1:45 p.m.

one of the clubs had a member who painted "river" rocks like cars......

nice rounded corners and a flat bottom rock would work best

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4CMWw0rpCWW9xATGGSdUd32taE2TMBT4TGRuOM9TdRpEmXYqfJDSzEPjKG2LyHNN