digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
11/18/10 12:27 a.m.

I'm thinking about getting THIS for my home garage. Has anyone had any experience with eaton compressors? Good or Bad? I want a compressor to last a lifetime, and their 5 year warranty coupled with a good price has pretty much sold me on the compressor. But just wanted to ask you guys before I make the jump.

Andrew

Luke
Luke SuperDork
11/18/10 4:50 a.m.

Is that the same Eaton who makes superchargers?

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
11/18/10 7:04 a.m.

That's a lot of coin for a single stage compressor.

monsterbronco
monsterbronco Reader
11/18/10 7:32 a.m.

i have this one http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/504747/6112301.htm

I love the thing!

Their quality is excellent and the customer service we have experienced has been top notch. We picked ours up from the factory and got a pretty good deal on it. If i ever have to buy another compressor, It will be an Eaton!

Wes

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
11/18/10 12:27 p.m.
purplepeopleeater wrote: That's a lot of coin for a single stage compressor.

Yes, but they're quieter then other brands and come with a 5 year full warranty. I mean I could get a IR compressor with similar cfm's, only get a 2 year warranty and its alot louder.

Its a trade off I guess.

monsterbronco
monsterbronco New Reader
11/18/10 2:59 p.m.

I cant speak to the noise level of the singe stage your looking at but. Mine surprised me when we first turned it on. they truly are much quieter then most of their competitors.

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
11/18/10 9:55 p.m.

they are saying 73db, which for a air compressor ain't bad, i called and got some clarification on this and its measured at 3 feet from the unit. I also got a shipping quote as well.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/18/10 10:26 p.m.

Mmm... they sell a reasonably priced air dryer as well.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/506941/1017584.htm

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
11/19/10 8:56 a.m.

Other than the Cain family being a bunch of a-holes, their compressors are pretty decent. Don't piss them off, or they might just kick your ace. One of the brothers used to be a regional champion in bare-fist fighting (before UFC became popular).

I went to school with one of the three brothers. Well, until he was moved back down to a lower grade.

Their father made ethanol for car gasoline in the '70's from corn raised on his farm. I'm sure these guys will tell you he invented it, and they are entitled to millions of dollars for the royalties.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
11/19/10 10:42 a.m.
Kramer wrote: Other than the Cain family being a bunch of a-holes, their compressors are pretty decent. Don't piss them off, or they might just kick your ace. One of the brothers used to be a regional champion in bare-fist fighting (before UFC became popular). I went to school with one of the three brothers. Well, until he was moved back down to a lower grade. Their father made ethanol for car gasoline in the '70's from corn raised on his farm. I'm sure these guys will tell you he invented it, and they are entitled to millions of dollars for the royalties.

A couple of years ago I was perusing a hot rod web site and the conversation turned to Eaton compressors. It got pretty nasty pretty quickly when it was brought whether they were made in the US or China. ISTR the owner of the company got involved and was pretty hostile. The short story though is the compressors and their customer service have a pretty good reputation.

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
11/19/10 11:34 p.m.

YES, alot of the parts are made in china, but assembled in the usa, the tanks are made in the usa though, as well as some other parts.

I was going between that and a higher up model, but I think that'll work for my purposes. I could get a IR compressor for $200 less at the same psi and cfm, but they're only a 2 year warranty, and every site I see IR reviews at half say good half bad. So I think I'll stick with eaton and their 5 year no hassle warranty, even though its more money.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
12/22/10 9:02 p.m.

to bring this thread back from the dredges.
What is the difference between a single stage vs a 2 stage as far as noise is concerned?
I know that once the lift is installed I will get very annoyed at the little craftsman compressor we are running now. It is due for replacement any how as the water drain at the bottom slowly leaks air out and it is noisy.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
12/23/10 10:14 a.m.

I can't answer the question about single stage vs two stage for noise, but slower running compressors are quieter than faster running ones. I think the two stages run slower. If your Sears is a direct drive oil-less compressor its about as loud as they come. Replace the drain and it won't run as much.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
12/23/10 10:35 a.m.

yeah, it's a single piston, oil-less, 1.5 hp, 15 gal, 150psi compressor. it's a loud mofo and because it's such a small tank it runs constantly.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/23/10 10:51 a.m.
Luke wrote: Is that the same Eaton who makes superchargers?

I was thinking the same thing---- a supercharger does sort of compress air.... I like superchargers.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/23/10 10:51 a.m.
Luke wrote: Is that the same Eaton who makes superchargers?

I was thinking the same thing---- a supercharger does sort of compress air.... I like superchargers.

motofan
motofan
10/15/13 7:26 p.m.

DONT GET AN EATON,, at least not a 5hp 2stage. I purchased new approx 6 years ago. Replaced the first pump under warranty at 2.5 years.. Replaced pump head again at the 4 year mark. Problem seems to be in the cheap Chinese valves. My final fix was to find a Dayton Speedair compressor with a bad motor and use that pump on the Eaton. This Eaton was the model with the 2 cylinders inline, I am not sure if the "V" design pump is any better or not. My recomendation is to spend the $$ and get a Quincy..

JCarter
JCarter New Reader
2/5/15 4:35 a.m.

They are slightly higher in prices but good @ customer service. One must give them a try…! You can also checkout their reviews @ http://www.yelp.com/biz/eaton-compressor-clayton

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/15 12:49 p.m.

I would hope so since your only 4 contributions to the board thus far has been to steer the conversation towards Eaton..

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
4/5/16 7:22 a.m.

Are you using your compressor in a Nigerian canoe?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/5/16 8:19 a.m.

Canoe deleted.

daviddadson
daviddadson None
8/4/16 6:59 a.m.

I need heavy industrial purpose air compressor unit like eatoncompressor, Kaeser and Sullair but finding the best product with best price sometimes become difficult. any one wants to suggest some thing regarding this?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CsDeJiE07nbyTakueGwsADw3CkGIjRc7CzvkVX1kCCGdq1KCDtKxawXt9HN5JRcv