1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/1/20 6:44 p.m.

Checking back in, is the thread gone for good? sad

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
6/2/20 11:54 a.m.

I received some helpful advice on the old Pedalsports thread and wanted to tune back in and say "thanks."  I can't remember who made the recommendation...but i rebuilt my front fork and it rides much better.

I bought a gasket kit, new dust seals, and foam rings (the old foam rings were were 95% deteriorated).  The gaskets looked pretty good but I replaced them  all.  The thing that made me laugh the most was the part of the instructions that said "make sure  you do this over a bucket because oil will leak out everywhere."  There was no oil in the fork.  Zero.  At least the fork tubes looked pretty good.

I probably could have just refilled the thing (+100ml on the damper and 10ml on the spring side, if I remember correctly) and it would have worked a lot better.   I've never taken a bicycle fork apart, so it was pretty interesting and relatively simple. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/2/20 12:23 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
dxman92 said:

It has seemed to pedal off into obscurity. wink

Probably for the best.  It was a poopstorm waiting to happen.  Two opposing factions--one lunatic bunch of head-banging mountain-bikers riding full suspensions and disk brakes, the other sensible, tea-drinking traditionalists riding proper road bikes consisting of little more than a frame, two wheels, and rudimentary rim brakes that might actually stop the bike, but not if they happened to get wet. 

You put two diametrically opposed groups like that in a room together, and they'll be at each others throats inside of five minutes.

I'll have you know that I am a head banging tea drinker and my ride of choice is a proper mountain bike consisting of little more than a frame, two wheels, and cantilever brakes, because if you didn't fail high school trig you can set them up to be way better than anything else.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/2/20 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I got A's in high school Trig, but college Calculus kicked my butt.

And you sir, are seriously confused, because disk brakes are used on every high-end oxcart manufactured today, in spite of your glorious cantilevers.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/2/20 2:49 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Checking back in, is the thread gone for good? sad

no?  I haven't heard an updated ETA.  but, you know, things

and, afaik, we can't merge threads. So, you're free to start afresh here... or wait it out?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/2/20 4:08 p.m.

I'm guessing the old thread is gone now. sad

Still waiting for parts to show up for my green Goose.

Haven't been on either bike in about a week after I had a scary moment. I got back for a ride, and I was out of breath. I have asthma, but I didn't bring my inhaler, because I haven't needed it since I started riding again. Made it back to the house, and in the middle of using it, I collapsed in the kitchen. I got light-headed and went down like a ton of bricks. I am fine, but yeah, I'll be bringing that thing every ride from now on. Once the parts show up to do the shifter/V-Brake conversion, I'll start riding again.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
2qKuSuqDhdTqoSliO2tXbU70CujXXpkmjjpqNqq20IQ5ppvaDWYbFsNisAf86RZY