1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/29/20 5:54 p.m.

See, that's the danger for me - buy a nice frame and then build a bike. It's not actually cheaper, but you tell yourself it will be cheaper and then suddenly you've spend thousands!

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/29/20 6:22 p.m.

Exactly. One day I really want to buy a boutique or custom frame and just go nuts with it. All the color matched shiny bits from small house American makers. But there's no way I can drop that kind of coin anytime soon. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/29/20 7:51 p.m.

I am not going too nuts but the Paul Component brakes were a bit of a splurge.

Got Microshift Advent drivetrain, older Sugino crankset, Seiki Tange bb, Stronglight headset, Crust fork, Selle Turbo saddle, On One stem and Midge bars, Alex Adventure rims. Still figuring out seatpost, tires, hubs. 

7/29/20 7:57 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

I am not going too nuts but the Paul Component brakes were a bit of a splurge.

Got Microshift Advent drivetrain, older Sugino crankset, Seiki Tange bb, Stronglight headset, Crust fork, Selle Turbo saddle, On One stem and Midge bars, Alex Adventure rims. Still figuring out seatpost, tires, hubs. 

Excellent spec. For seatpost you can't go wrong with Thomson. Light, sturdy, well built. Plus they are local to me. My home trail is behind their factory and they are huge supporters of  the local cycling scene. All their traditional seat posts are made right here. 

I want to do one with Paul, Thomson, Cane Creek, etc. Maybe a Crust frame, or something custom. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/29/20 9:55 p.m.
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Dave M (Forum Supporter) :

I'm still trying to come to grips with my gravel bike.  For whatever reason, I am having a tough time getting used to the slightly more upright positioning compared to my more traditional Euro road racing mid-90's Colnago. I can ride the Colnago for hours on end, but the gravel bike starts to hurt after about an hour.  I really want to go to my LBS and get fitted to the bike, except pandemic... 

That's interesting and counter-intuitive!  I wonder if you engage your back core less when you are on the race-geometry bike; maybe you are resting on your arms more on the older bike?  

I was on vacation in a rural area in June and did some rides that had mixed gravel and pavement.  A gravel bike would have made that a lot more fun.  Also, the C&O Canal towpath is close to me and is all gravel (I think for the whole 185 miles). But no, I don't *need" a gravel bike....just another toy to lust after!

Yes, it is.  Especially since I also ride a variety of mtn bikes with fairly upright positioning.  I didn't ride the Colnago for over a month and just rode the gravel for a couple of hundred miles trying to get used to it. Then a couple of weeks ago I wanted to go on a longer ride, so I got the old bike out again - and even after almost two months off it, getting back on instantly felt like home. 

As someone who regularly builds bikes up from bare frames, it is definitely something you do only if you are picky about what parts you want to run. It almost never saves money. Of course, even when I buy a bike complete I will still swap out things like the seat and grips. 

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/29/20 10:04 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

There's something about getting on your bike that just fits perfectly, isn't there? It's like an extension of your limbs. If I knew more about bikes I could pinpoint why, but my mechanical knowledge is full up with the car stuff!

7/30/20 6:19 a.m.

A bike that fits right is a beautiful thing. That's the hardest thing to explain to someone who is starting out and just wants to buy a department store bike. 

I wonder if the gravel rig puts you in no-mans land between the two you are used to. On the Colnago you carry more weight in your arms, and on the mtb your center is more over your saddle so you can float and move the bike. On the gravel bike your center is more forward but you still have to hover and move like the mtb, which stresses core muscles that aren't as developed. Just spitballing here. 

I actually did the full fit with my carbon Madone and it was well worth it. When I was setting up my drop bar gravel bike I copied the measurements from the Madone and then raised the bars and shortened the stem. By doing both you maintain the same reach. 

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/30/20 7:57 a.m.

I've found a large drywall t-square makes comparing bike setups and transferring measurements from one to another very easy. I just set the short end on the floor with one edge of the long part going straight up through the bottom bracket which gives you reach, stack (makes comparing an old frame to something new very easy) and saddle setback etc. It's also good for setting up a TT bike to UCI specs if that is something you ever need to do (some of the dumbest rules out there).

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/30/20 8:27 a.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

Excellent spec. For seatpost you can't go wrong with Thomson. Light, sturdy, well built. Plus they are local to me. My home trail is behind their factory and they are huge supporters of  the local cycling scene. All their traditional seat posts are made right here. 

I want to do one with Paul, Thomson, Cane Creek, etc. Maybe a Crust frame, or something custom. 

That is one option I am considering. The other is a Nitto post.

I really want to be build a full bling single speed gravel bike at some point because I love single speed on my local gravel/back alley routes in town but it is probably going to be a lot of time searching for just the right parts second hand. I already have a White Industries front hub and Campy track cranks. Would want a Chris King rear hub, Paul canti brakes, lots of nice Nitto parts, Velocity rims. Basically something you might see on the Radavist because I spend way to much time drooling over bikes there.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/30/20 8:29 a.m.
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:

See, that's the danger for me - buy a nice frame and then build a bike. It's not actually cheaper, but you tell yourself it will be cheaper and then suddenly you've spend thousands!

The only way it is cheaper is if you have a ton of parts already laying around you can use.

That is what happened with my mountain bike. I bought a used bike with tons of nice parts. The weld in the bb area broke and I swapped a lot of the parts over to a new frame.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/30/20 10:10 a.m.
7/30/20 10:19 a.m.

Yeah, big fan of John's  site. Probably has way too much influence on my tastes. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
7/30/20 11:08 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not entirely sure.  I had a pro-fit done with the Colnago many years ago right after I built it in 1999.  I've used those dimensions to set up just about all of my bikes since - mainly the BB to saddle height. But get the measurements to transfer to the Grade has been more elusive.  I regularly tell new road riders: fit is EVERYTHING on a road bike, since you tend to sit in one position for long periods of time. Unlike a mtn bike where you are constantly moving around.

I also think part of it may be the saddle.  The saddle on the Colnago is a Selle Italia Turbomatic 2 that I've had since the bike before the Colnago.  I have some 25 years and who knows how many miles on it.  Many thousands. That saddle and my butt are formed to each other.  While I bought another version of the same saddle for the Grade, it obviously doesn't have the same amount of acclimation time. Next test will be to take the saddle off the Colnago and try it on the Grade.

That dry-wall square idea is something I'll have to try.  Mine won't work since it's not flat on the back side of the T, but those aren't terribly expensive.

7/30/20 12:28 p.m.

Just a thought, but I've found saddle designs that work well on drop bar road bikes don't work as well on more upright stuff. If swapping the old faithful on doesn't help, try a saddle off one of your mtb. I run a Brooks Professional on my gravel bike. It's narrower and firmer than the B17. I tried A B17 but it was too wide and too much hammock for drop bars, even on an upright bike. 

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
8/1/20 8:19 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Speaking of the Radavist and drooling. https://theradavist.com/2020/07/the-bikes-of-the-enve-builder-round-up-part-02/

That Moots, hnnnnnnng.  Ti is on my bike bucket list for sure.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
8/2/20 10:00 a.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

Just a thought, but I've found saddle designs that work well on drop bar road bikes don't work as well on more upright stuff. If swapping the old faithful on doesn't help, try a saddle off one of your mtb. I run a Brooks Professional on my gravel bike. It's narrower and firmer than the B17. I tried A B17 but it was too wide and too much hammock for drop bars, even on an upright bike. 

Except I basically run the same saddle on all of my bikes: Selle Italia.  Flite and the Flite Turbomatic (which essentially have the same profile).

I did my first century (on the Colnago) yesterday.  First one I've done in a few years. Surprisingly, the "sit bones" aren't too sore the day after.  Probably helps I've been doing so much road riding over the past few months. 

I am considering switching to Brooks saddles, although my rough plan is to wait until the winter and I can set up the Swift trainer.  Then I'll buy a few saddles to go on various bikes and go through a break-in process for each of them. 

Man... the Enve gallery is drool-inducing. Befitting for Enve parts.  I have one bike with Enve rims and bars on it (my Spot Ryve 115) and I'm impressed.  Definitely (slightly) easier to stomach the cost when they're on a complete bike.

I'm starting to lean towards Ti for my next gravel/road bike to replace the Grade.  After 20+ years on the Colnago, I'm just used to how Ti rides. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/5/20 6:29 p.m.

The bike I ordered finally arrived! New Bike Day is here!

I've gone through my older bikes earlier this year and know enough to be dangerous, so boxed bike assembly was fine with me. Bikes Online supposedly does "pro assembly" before they box and pack. We'll see about that. 

Everything was packed nicely and had all sorts of protection in the box. It was held together with velcro straps and cushioned material. Pedals and tools came in a separate box. I was surprised that it came with a multi-tool and a decent pedal wrench. Bonus!

I got it up on the stand and started assembling. Basically, you have to attach the handlebars, front wheel, and pedals, and remove the packing materials (of course). 

Looking more like a bike now! I pillaged the Rockbros (RaceFace knockoffs) from my green Mongoose, which will be sadly disassembled soon. 

All assembled! I love the way this thing looks. 

Hard to see, but that's metallic paint. Sweet. 

Welds are nice, and the top tube has some subtle graphics. 

The WTB Riddlers are pretty wide for a hybrid at 45c. Yes, it has a big, clunky kickstand that will probably be removed soon. 

It has 1x10 Shimano Deore components. I like. And no more screwing with the front derailleur because there is no front derailleur! 

The bars, grips, etc are all Entity branded, Polygon's house brand. It's basically Polygon's Bontrager. Stuff seems like nice quality. Dig that badge, too. 

So, how's it ride? It's a completely different experience than I am used to. It rolls down the road better, rides smoother, stops faster, and the thing really flies. It feels really solid, even with my fat butt on it. The only thing I want to change is the seat. It's just OK; I prefer more cushioning. I will be swapping the seat from one of my other bikes that will remedy that. It's a long bike, and I was nervous about the sizing, but I picked the right one. I fit great on it, and everything about it is confidence-inspiring. I ended up going an extra half mile on my loop today because I didn't want to stop. 

Really looking forward to riding more! 

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/6/20 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Congrats! Looks great.

8/6/20 11:16 a.m.

Looks awesome!

I'm running 700x50c Gravel Kings on my commuter bike. They feel great on the street...no reason to discount big tires on a hybrid.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/6/20 12:26 p.m.

I'll be honest, I was never into "pedal sport" but this badboy popped up on FB marketplace a few days ago and I cant keep my butt off of it:

Apparently it's a 40-year-old Austrian manufactured "Puch Spexial super sport" with a bunch of modern do-dads hung off of it.  All I know is it blows my crappy 10-year old $100 bike I've been riding completely out of the water.  This thing is like getting on a liter bike when I just got off my first 50cc! laugh

Anyhoo.  I'm sure my butt is going to ride this thing somewhere noteworthy in the future, but for now she's my "to work, and back" transportation (7km door to door).

Good times.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/6/20 6:05 p.m.

Went for another ride after work today. Swapped the seat for my Planet Bike A.R.S. gel seat. MUCH BETTER.

Today, I was able to extend my route even further. Where I was completely gassed doing a 3.97mi route on the old bike, I bumped it up to 5.57mi today. Probably not much to many of you, and frankly I would ride about 15-20mi/day when I was younger, but this is huge for me. And I have stats!

I had to stop a few times for various reasons (took a phone call, drinking water, etc), but overall, the riding part was faster than yesterday. I also tried out the fork lockout. I love it for paved stuff and smoother sections; it makes a huge difference, especially when climbing. So far, I love this thing and can't wait to get back on it. I almost stopped at the house and went for a 2nd loop, but I quit while I was ahead. That may happen in the future.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/20 6:09 a.m.

A lot of what kept me off the bike when I tried to get back on, was being frustrated at being only able to ride a couple miles after work, instead of being able to ride until 1am like when I was in school.

8/7/20 7:34 a.m.

Awesome dude! Give it time and those miles will add up before you know it. 

My first "ride" on the trainer Monday left me hurting the next day. Being back at work this week has actually been a little painful just form sitting at my desk (I blame wearing real pants) so I haven't been back on the trainer at all. Which makes me sad. But...better to heal well than to rush it and damage something. I WISH I could ride 5 miles right now!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/7/20 8:35 a.m.

Thanks guys! This will be a long journey. I'm using this as my main form of exercise in lieu of going to the gym. I have a cycle trainer for winter riding if it gets too cold, so I can ride in my living room if need be. 

Other than the head tube cracks on my old bike, I had a "health incident" the last time I rode, which is why I stopped completely for a bit. I have asthma, and after a ride, I passed out and hit the floor. I was dumb and didn't bring my inhaler. That scared me a bit. My inhaler comes with me now, because I don't feel like dying yet. 

Back in the day, when I had my paper route, I used to deliver to 30-50 houses a day 6 days a week and then go off with my friends afterwards, all on my bike. Sometimes, I'd do 20+ miles total doing that. Now, I'm dead and sore after 5. I'll get it back.

8/7/20 8:49 a.m.

I hear you about getting it back. I expect a long slow road (pun possibly intended) after surgery. It's no fun, but you know you'll get there.

Now that you have the new bike - lets talk additional gear as you get farther out. You have a patch kit, small pump, and multitool? In these days of riding alone, repair on the road will happen eventually. I'd look at adding a second bottle and holder as well, and then a small handlebar bag for the inhaler and other small stuff so it's easy to get to.  Ordinarily I'd recommend a small frame bag but I think on that frame you'd have to lose the water bottles, and they're more important. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RnzM5tkmApeOcF3fjPiCSA4JV55spCeywgGYsz2NxGEKaMOGBn4Y6MPsVtGifg9o