1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/7/20 9:06 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

I plan on getting some sort of small bag, an extra cage, and a pump. It's on my list. Bike actually came with a decent multitool (and a pedal wrench) which was better than the one I had before.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
8/12/20 1:38 p.m.

I had been looking for something a little more touring oriented to add to my bike collection.  I was really looking for something more on the gravel/bikepacking side but poking around craigslist yesterday I came across a 2014 Novara safari for $300.   I figured at that price I could likely get my money back if I decide I don't like it later or I find the bike I actually think I want.  Pulled the pump off the tandem since I have not been riding that much recently and it fits this bike. Took it for a 12 mile ride today.  I need to adjust a few things and replace the pedals then see how it feels.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/20 2:12 p.m.

In reply to moxnix :

Glenn handlebars?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/12/20 2:41 p.m.

not like most of the bikes in this thread, but I'm pretty happy. The few people that DO recognize it are definitely gonna think I'm weird. 

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
8/12/20 3:38 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to moxnix :

Glenn handlebars?

Rei called it a Moustache Bar. Most times I see them referred to as trekking or butterfly bars.  

this is the rei spec page for the bike  

https://www.rei.com/product/807245/novara-safari-bike-2014

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/12/20 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Damn...  that's a fork name I haven't thought about in decades... 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/12/20 5:33 p.m.

I remember looking at those Safaris in the store. That's a good setup for the price. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/12/20 6:17 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Only two people I can find make a fork with 990 mounts- and Odyssey was out of f32s. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/13/20 7:58 a.m.
Mndsm said:
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Only two people I can find make a fork with 990 mounts- and Odyssey was out of f32s. 

Bone Deth also makes one.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
8/26/20 2:33 p.m.

Flatted a tube in one of my Paselas on my gravel ride today. Fortunately I had a spare tube. Unfortunately I didn't have my good Park tire levers, and one of the cheap crappy ones broke, so I had to struggle with it longer than I should have. In any case, I noticed that the tire is getting pretty worn - rubber is squared off and the tread is coming off around the edges, and more worryingly the skinwall has at least one spot where the threads are starting to separate. I think it's time to replace them.

Since this bike sees both pavement and dirt/gravel, I was going to go for the Gravelking slicks, but there are a lot of reviews that say they flat easily, and after today's experience, that's not going to fly. Right now I'm considering the Gravelking SKs, which probably give up some performance on pavement, and another set of skinwall Paselas, which I have always liked on several different bikes. Current tires are 700x32, but I have room to go up to 35 or maybe even 38 if need be (I'd prefer to stay at 32 or go to 35 - 38 seems like it might change the character of the ride and give up too much speed).  Any other suggestions?

8/26/20 2:43 p.m.

I'm running Gravelking SKs in 700x50 on  a combo gravel and commuter bike. They run great on pavement. They roll really well despite the tread, and they ride really smooth and light for the size. I have yet to have a flat, although I haven't got a ton of miles on them. The miles were a lot of in-town commutes in cruddy break down lanes, tough stuff. I'm running them tubeless with Stan's sealant.

BTW, tire diameter isn't a direct correlation to rolling resistance. More width doesn't necessarily equal less speed, it's more about the casing design and the individual tire. Character of the ride - yes, it's smoother and you get better traction while turning. Wider tire also makes the bike turn in a little quicker in my experience.

Bike in question: 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
8/26/20 3:18 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks, that helps. I measured and I've got 45mm at the narrowest point, so I think 38 is about as wide as I'd go - the next size up is 43, and that seems too close for comfort, assuming they run true to size (Paselas seem to run a little under).

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
9/3/20 3:35 p.m.

Got the Gravelking SKs mounted up. Glad I went with 700x38, because the rear is pretty close to the chainstays. Fairly tough to get onto the rims. I'll try to get in a mixed-surface test ride tomorrow and see how they do.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
9/4/20 8:05 a.m.

Ive been rocking the Gravelkings on my Santa Cruz Stigmata for daily cruising on the rough streets here.  Been a pretty good tire but I burn them out in about 500 miles.  Start getting small random punctures.  

In other news, been horse trading bikes like a madman the past few weeks.

Sold my old 2003 Moots Rigormootis

Sold my Specialized Fatboy

Bought a Trek Top Fuel Race Shop Limited with some bling bling I9 wheels and the gold XX1 kit. (holy smokes this is way more bike than I deserve)

Bought the wife a LIV Avail Advanced 1 that the nice PO already converted to full Ultegra DI2. 

Did a pretty wicked (for me at least) 35 miler, 2500 feet of elevation ride last weekend.

Bling Bling!

New Trek

Me on my Santa Cruz - taken before the giant suck!  Note the Gravel Kings in blue.  

Wife's new bike.  

9/4/20 8:59 a.m.

Damn that top fuel looks good all blinged out! and that is some SERIOUS bling.  My Fuel EX8 is that same color scheme (well, without the bling)  and is a great riding bike. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
9/4/20 10:50 a.m.

Got out this morning for a test ride. I have an undulating 12 mile out-and-back route that I ride pretty often that has everything from pavement to dirt road to rocky trail. It rained last night, so I got some mud as well.

The Gravelkings were a little noisier than the Paselas, but that's to be expected. On pavement they felt pretty good, though I think they were a little slower when climbing. On dirt or gravel they had a lot more traction for sure, and were confidence-inspiring in the corners and on descents. Seemed pretty good in the mud as well.

On the downside, they do throw up a lot more crud, so the bike is filthy. And having gone up to 38mm means that I have to air them down to mount or remove the wheels (they won't clear the brakes otherwise), which is annoying.

Overall first impressions are good. I'll ride them for the rest of the season, do some more pavement testing, then see if I want to keep them or experiment with something else in the spring.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
9/11/20 9:15 p.m.

Did 23 miles on the Gravelkings today, all pavement. Ride is definitely more compliant (likely more due to size increase than tire design) and I didn't really feel slowed down much from my usual pace on the Paselas. When I have the time I want to do a longer mixed surface ride, but today did nothing to make me question my decision.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
9/11/20 11:43 p.m.

The Gravelking SKs look really good with a tan sidewall. That's all I have to say. yes

travellering
travellering HalfDork
9/12/20 8:28 p.m.

It's been long enough for her to have gotten over buyer's remorse and decided that she absolutely loves it.  NBD for her cost more than any car we own...

Trek Emonda SLR 7 Project One with Ultegra DI2 and Aeolus XXX 65mm rims. Mama is happy, so I get to ride more, which makes me happy..

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
9/14/20 9:31 a.m.

Question for the bike hive here. Will 700c tires fit on 27" wheels?

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
9/14/20 9:39 a.m.
dxman92 said:

Question for the bike hive here. Will 700c tires fit on 27" wheels?

No

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/14/20 9:44 a.m.
02Pilot said:

Did 23 miles on the Gravelkings today, all pavement. Ride is definitely more compliant (likely more due to size increase than tire design) and I didn't really feel slowed down much from my usual pace on the Paselas. When I have the time I want to do a longer mixed surface ride, but today did nothing to make me question my decision.

I was thinking about getting Gravelkings in 700x50c but after talking to the bike shop decided to go with Terevail Cannonball in 700x47c in their durable casing for my gravelbike. Since I am going to use it for some bikepacking trips, I wanted something a bit more hardy then the Gravelkings.

9/14/20 10:01 a.m.

Yeah, I could see the Gravel Kings being a little under spec'd for long distance off road, depending on terrain. Around here they're great on the dirt roads and handle sand decently, but there are other roads with big fist-sized gravel that would hurt them. I swap out to 27.5x2.8 Teravails on those rides. I think they're Cumberlands maybe? I've got 2 sets of rims with identical gears and brake rotors so I can hot swap them.

Edit: Here's the same bike with the Teravails:

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/14/20 10:31 a.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

Yeah, I could see the Gravel Kings being a little under spec'd for long distance off road, depending on terrain. Around here they're great on the dirt roads and handle sand decently, but there are other roads with big fist-sized gravel that would hurt them. I swap out to 27.5x2.8 Teravails on those rides. I think they're Cumberlands maybe? I've got 2 sets of rims with identical gears and brake rotors so I can hot swap them.

Edit: Here's the same bike with the Teravails:

I haven't tried Teravails brand tires yet so looking forward to that. Well really I haven't branched out from Maxxis but Maxxis gravel tire selection sucks so it will be interesting.

Also I am attempting to build my own wheels for the first time which should be fun. Nothing exotic or expensive (a Sunrace 32h front hub, a used DT Swiss 32h rear hub, Alex Adventure 2 rims, double butted spokes and brass nipples).

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/16/20 9:04 a.m.

How do I get a 1in threaded headset from coming lose all the time? Is loctite on the lock nut a bad idea? It is a Tange Seiki headset if that matters.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Br9F8qQMvvzyQ11FMEBXbiSkVqXsVVWL5uAREFqepYlq5EaDaj9w9xcCJ09N0kuF