1 2 3 ... 5
crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/29/16 4:38 p.m.

Anybody else think these commercials are lame?

A guys throws an egg at a lady and she drops it.

"CAN WE AGREE THAT LIFE THROWS UNEXPECTED STUFF YOUR WAY?"

"Uh, yeah"

"WHAT IF I TOLD YOU THERE WAS A CAR THAT KNEW THAT BLAH BLAH BLAH CHEVY MALIBU."

Does this kind of marketing work for people? People being lead to water with some fuzzy logic scenario is kind of a chore to watch for me.

The best is the "aluminum is stupid" campaign which I think has a terrible message. Lighter weight (2.7 Ecoboosts in aluminum f150s are VERY quick stock),better MPG, and the most important thing to a lot of people is rust prevention.

Aluminum Ford trucks are garbage and weak though we'll probably start making them too because rust and uh yeah forget what we said about Ford.

Car manufacturers have always had political style attack campaigns but I just feel like these ads are really made for the lowest common denominator. Anybody else feel this way?

Also, before somebody gets offended, I like stuff from GM too and I'm not a Ford fanboy.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/29/16 4:41 p.m.

I've never understood the "Our products are usually so bad that you'll be surprised they're good" ad campaigns. And not just for cars, or by GM, or whatever. It's just a stupid premise to start from.

Except the Baltimore City Opera - their tagline used to be: "Opera - it's better than you think. It has to be."

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/29/16 5:04 p.m.

I think the one for The Malibu says something like best initial build quality but the fine print states it is/was the 2013 model which is fine and good but there has been a complete redesign since then???

JD Powers is crap. I experienced them in the cell phone business. They run a bunch of surveys then try to sell the corporations the rights to market the results. In short, they'll sell you whatever they can.
Some crazy awards include, "most appealing new car." Nothing to do with sales, just if people looked upon your car favorably.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
8/29/16 5:37 p.m.

I fell for Chevy, because I thought maybe the "New GM" was better. Also, I bought a 3-year-old Chevy with <30k miles for a 35% discount off new.

Six months later it's worth 50% off MSRP. I guess I'm stuck with this one. But you fooled me good, New GM.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/29/16 5:55 p.m.

JD Power sucks. I prefer Chesty LaRue or Busty Sinclair.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/16 6:02 p.m.

Another example would be the recent Toyota Camry ad that showed two brothers competing.

Great, yeah, they do that.

Then they go on to state they always wanted to race each other (so? Go find an autocross, rental karts or Chump/LeMons team and get on it)

at Monaco.

Oh. Okay then, that's a bit more difficult to pull off.

In our all-new 2017 Toyota Camry....

What? Why not race something sporty like, I don't know, the GT-86?

Morons. Morons I say. Those of you involved with this nonsense should be embarrassed.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/29/16 6:11 p.m.

Maybe Toyota felt the Camry was loosing to the Nissan Altima "race car" ads.
Also stupid.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
8/29/16 6:34 p.m.

The progressive ads get me. I can't stand listening to Flo, and somehow that ad campaign has lasted 8 years...

Will
Will UltraDork
8/29/16 6:39 p.m.

Still better than Toyota's old Saved by Zero campaign.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/16 6:51 p.m.
fiesta54 wrote: The progressive ads get me. I can't stand listening to Flo, and somehow that ad campaign has lasted 8 years...

And the talking box. Kind of want to set the talking box on fire.

dean1484
8/29/16 6:56 p.m.

And while I am typing my last post there is an add for progressive insurance with Marco Polo playing Marco Polo in full costume in an above ground pool with kids.

Ya I am going to get insurance from them.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/29/16 7:10 p.m.

I think the Liberty Mutual adds are worse…”I wrecked my car before its first oil change but they won’t give me full replacement value for it”.

I’d love to be selling that guy a new car and at the last moment, swap it out with a return that isn’t due for its first oil change yet. You know he’d lose his Berking mind and go off yelling “I’m not paying new car prices for a used car”…um, then why would you expect your insurance company to; dumbass.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/16 7:31 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: And while I am typing my last post there is an add for progressive insurance with Marco Polo playing Marco Polo in full costume in an above ground pool with kids. Ya I am going to get insurance from them.

I actually found that one hilarious!

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/29/16 7:43 p.m.
EvanR wrote: I fell for Chevy, because I thought *maybe* the "New GM" was better. Also, I bought a 3-year-old Chevy with <30k miles for a 35% discount off new. Six months later it's worth 50% off MSRP. I guess I'm stuck with this one. But you fooled me good, New GM.

Fail to see the correlation. If it's a good car, who cares?

dean1484
8/29/16 7:44 p.m.
RX Reven' wrote: I think the Liberty Mutual adds are worse…”I wrecked my car before its first oil change but they won’t give me full replacement value for it”. I’d love to be selling that guy a new car and at the last moment, swap it out with a return that isn’t due for its first oil change yet. You know he’d lose his Berking mind and go off yelling “I’m not paying new car prices for a used car”…um, then why would you expect your insurance company to; dumbass.

I actually have their insurance. There selling point is they will replace your totaled car with a year newer and 10k miles less.

But yes there add campaign is annoying.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
8/29/16 7:46 p.m.
EvanR wrote: I fell for Chevy, because I thought *maybe* the "New GM" was better. Also, I bought a 3-year-old Chevy with <30k miles for a 35% discount off new. Six months later it's worth 50% off MSRP. I guess I'm stuck with this one. But you fooled me good, New GM.

My s600 stickered for 140k....I paid under 6k. Now THAT'S depreciation. I still like it though and if depreciates to zero so be it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/16 8:19 p.m.

Minor Confession Thread

Quote:

Woody MegaDork May 1, 2016 3:11 p.m.

I would gladly pay an extra couple of hundred dollars for my next new Chevy if they would just get that guy with the beard off my tv.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
8/29/16 8:31 p.m.

Chevy as well as GM has had their ad/ marketing moments over the years, thought they were getting most of it right lately... but. Now waitaminit, there are plenty of auto (as well as other) commercials that rub me completely the wrong way as well, so there's that. That don't stop me from buying a product at all. I figure the target audience isn't me to begin with.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/29/16 8:32 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Maybe Toyota felt the Camry was loosing to the Nissan Altima "race car" ads. Also stupid.

No.. They are trying to counter the toyota's are not sporty stigma they got by producing cars that are not sporty.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/29/16 8:33 p.m.

My theory is that the more a car (...or soda... or beer... or etc.) tries to convince you of something, the more opposite the reality is.

Boring appliance? We'll show how exciting it is!

Prius? It's the muscle car of rebels!

Fueled by Caffeine
8/29/16 8:34 p.m.

comparative marketing ads are stupid, because when you lead with.. "We are better than X" you instantly think that X is better.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
8/29/16 8:44 p.m.

I absolutely cannot stand advertisements, because like you stated, they only go after the lowest common denominator. I don't really get the point of advertising actually, I can't think of any ad that has made me stop and think "hey I should buy that, my life just isn't complete without it." I just don't understand that mindset. If there's something I feel I need, I do research on it, look at reviews, ask you guys, that stuff. I certainly don't take the manufacturers word that they have the best product for me. (Sorry GRM advertisers)

I cut the cords about 3 years ago and it's made watching tv and listening to music so much more enjoyable. I use Uorigin ad block for Chrome, Adblock for YouTube, I pay for Pandora One, and pay for Netflix, and Amazon Prime. To me it's worth it, to not be constantly bombarded with ads for crap I don't need and pushed at me as if I had the IQ of a monkey.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
8/29/16 9:26 p.m.

JD Power Initial Quality ratings have to be the absolute dumbest thing anyone can hang their hat on.

"My car is really nice because it's brand new! That must mean it's a good car!"

Of course it's nice. IT'S BRAND BERKING NEW!!!! EVERYTHING IS NICE WHEN IT'S NEW!!!!!!!!

Dumb.

Fueled by Caffeine
8/29/16 9:43 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

You've also described nearly every Amazon.com review.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/29/16 9:47 p.m.

Ford had one about 10 years ago with a few guys loading boats on trailers on a ramp. The Chevy slips and gets pulled back into the water.

Then one onlooker says 'that Chevy sank' the other guy responds... (wait for it)... 'like a rock'.

It was so bad but it still makes me giggle.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oRdp0HzADVDtu6JflYNChJZmmCugo4YbGcDtwfUzEbaSA6xgzDd1HJmzsxisH7W9