1 2 3
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/11 10:06 a.m.

Okay, so I'm selling my Honda Hawk GT motorcycle (see $2011 forum if you care), but I'm also interested in trading. I put up an ad on the VWVortex to that effect, asking for cash or a trade.

A guy PM's me and offers a very nice 1985 Scirocco II 8v with a few mods in trade. I was really looking for an A2 GTI 16v, but, hey whatever, it's worth considering - so I ask for some pics. The whole time this guy is being really self-touting and "I am the master of all VW's," really set the stage - touting how awesome it is that the car is German built, "better than the Mexican junk," I asked him if it was 16v car and he "forgave me for my inexperience, but no, the crap motor car wasn't around for this year." Umm, okay buddy, apparently I'm not drinking the right Kool-Aid or something. I was legitimately interested in the car, though, so I PM'ed him back.

SlickDizzy said: I will think about it. It is really a beautiful car, and up my alley as far as what I'm looking for, though an A2 GTI would be ideal for me. However you've easily made the most appealing offer of anybody so far. Hypothetically, how would you want to handle an exchange? I go to school full-time and work outside of that; I could make myself available for a time but riding a naked bike to Indiana on the freeway might be a bit of a stretch for me, haha.

And, somehow, this is where the E36 M3 hit the fan. I received this terse reply:

africanwind said: true you're probably too far away ... and if you're into the Mexican cars, this German car is probably not going to 'do it' for you anyway

WTF? Seriously? What a pretentious dick! I just now fired this one off, and I'm sure there's some kind of "berkeley you" reply on the way, but I'm done talking to this guy. After all, as the saying about arguing on the internet goes...

SlickDizzy said: Wow, you sure do make a lot of really presumptuous and underhanded comments. God forbid the fact that I've had two A1's and driven a few Sciroccos and would prefer an A2 GTI for the cargo capacity and lower insurance rate. I do really like your car but I guess I'll let eBay sort out the Hawk's new owner instead. Good luck with the struggle, hopefully you can find another pretentious Aryan pride type who's into your Scirocco.

I really did like his car, too.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/26/11 10:09 a.m.

It's because it's vortex. VW guys are a wierd lot, VERY elitist.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
9/26/11 10:22 a.m.

What a bizarre exchange.

madmallard
madmallard Reader
9/26/11 10:30 a.m.

... okay guys, i GOTTA say it...

"african wind?" o_o

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
9/26/11 10:36 a.m.

I cant say enough about how much i cant stand the vortex, this is the only site i really go for any thing related to cars.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
9/26/11 10:42 a.m.

I've got a VW , and I don't think I'm all that weird.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
9/26/11 10:43 a.m.

Pretty sure it's Mexican, too.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
9/26/11 10:44 a.m.

Someday, I think I would like to have as much "confidence" as that guy has that EVERYTHING I think, do, and say is THE final word on any and all subjects...but then, how would I ever get my head through a doorway?

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/26/11 10:47 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I've got a VW , and I don't think I'm all that weird.

You post on GRM. You're fairly safe. Plus you haven't lorded your dub and its retarded not right offset wheels over the rest of us.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
9/26/11 11:01 a.m.

that sucks to hear such a winner....but good luck getting rid of your bike slick...... i do know of a rx-7 convert for 300 bucks with out a tital for sale that needs a new home....

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
9/26/11 11:06 a.m.
integraguy wrote: Someday, I think I would like to have as much "confidence" as that guy has that EVERYTHING I think, do, and say is THE final word on any and all subjects...but then, how would I ever get my head through a doorway?

I just lube my ears and take a run at it; haven't found a doorframe yet I couldn't either push through or break trying.

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
9/26/11 11:07 a.m.
mndsm wrote: VW guys are a wierd lot, VERY elitist.

Unnecessarily so. It's not like Vws are anything special.

Correction: Newer Vws, anything before the 80s is neat E36 M3 and I want it.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
9/26/11 11:13 a.m.

Switching over to the A2 forums I regained a little faith in Vortex (compared to the MKIV forums, at least). But I wrote the whole site off the last couple of years that I owned my GTIs. Too many tools and hipsters started ditching their MKIVs for MKIIs and infecting those forums too.

TWHansen
TWHansen New Reader
9/26/11 11:58 a.m.

More reasons as to why TDIClub is the only online VW community I'll ever want or need.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
9/26/11 12:25 p.m.
TWHansen wrote: More reasons as to why TDIClub is the only online VW community I'll ever want or need.

True... although the Autocross forum on the Vortex isn't too bad... the general lack of traffic keeps out much of the riff-raff.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
9/26/11 12:26 p.m.

Am I mistaken that early A2 Golfs hail from Pennsylvania? Perhaps until 1989?

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
9/26/11 12:27 p.m.

The watercooled VW crowd got really awful after the sport compact scene really took off.

It was pretty incredible to see the difference between the Mexican and German made A2's in terms of fit and finish, though. VW really cemented their reputation for terrible reliability on those early attempts to move production over here. I had a german Mk1 and two Mk2's, plus a mexican Mk2 and a westmoreland Mk2. The cars might as well have come from different companies.

Dude is on crack if he thinks the 8v was better than the 16v. I still miss the sound/feel of those engines. I would weep tears of joy if I ever found another car like my old '91 GLI.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
9/26/11 12:30 p.m.
mndsm wrote: <b

You post on GRM. You're fairly safe. Plus you haven't lorded your dub and its retarded not right offset wheels over the rest of us.

What's weird about VW offsets? They're 38mm ,just like my Miata,which means it's got to be right.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
9/26/11 12:55 p.m.
ppddppdd wrote: Dude is on crack if he thinks the 8v was better than the 16v.

Truth. The myth of the 8V making more torque is still pervasive. 16V's make the same power until 4K rpm when the power takes a dramatic increase.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/26/11 12:59 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote:
mndsm wrote:

What's weird about VW offsets? They're 38mm ,just like my Miata,which means it's got to be right.

IT's not that the factory offsets are wierd, it's that the owners of said dubs tend to put retardedly wide wheels on them, and then put 185's on the wheels, and have 3 inches of outer lip sticking out. See Hellaflush.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
9/26/11 2:01 p.m.

Don't you know the connection between dubbers and paint chips?

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/26/11 2:06 p.m.

Hellaflush, yo.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/26/11 2:09 p.m.

I think the golfs were built in 4 different places? The Pennsylvania built ones have some unusuall parts and rust badly (even in california) compared to the others. The mexican cars actually have the most durable shell too, the metal is slightly thicker. I dont like VWs becasue they all run like complete crap, but I know the people who do wouldnt drive anything else.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/11 3:03 p.m.

"worst shiny happy people"

I dunno, seems like they're very good at being shiny happy people, don't you?

That would actually make us, on the board, some of the worst shiny happy people as most of us aren't really shiny happy people at all. Most of the time.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
9/26/11 3:42 p.m.

Stuff like that is why I spend time over here now. The Corrado forum was OK until the cars got cheap. Cone Junky, if the Mk.4 forum was worse than the Mk.2 forums, I'm glad I never saw it. I pretty much only go to vortex anymore as a last resort for hard-to-find spares.

And my Mexican Mk.2 (92 8v GTI) was fine. Talking to others, it seems build quality was really inconsistent. They seem to be either really solid (mine's been the best car I ever had), or complete failures at reliable transportation, with nothing in-between.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KcsK5nOe98rYasGsKhtG2s0ZASiFyV7ZM8fzL9yLXs1WjF3dma6lOnEKfvhroqKy