1 2 3 4 ... 6
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/18 9:22 p.m.

I can listen to almost anything except whatever you’d call the noise Grateful Dead, Phish, etc make, the aforementioned Bro-Country, and 99% of the Beatles. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
8/17/18 9:46 p.m.

Hymns

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
8/17/18 10:00 p.m.

I strongly dislike zydeco. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/17/18 10:05 p.m.

Most pop country. Which is sad, because country done right is my preference. 

Also, John Denver. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/17/18 10:08 p.m.

Bob Marley Abba any old pop the song Zombie the remake of Africa.  I'll take some old stuff but just give me new indie stuff.  Classic rock doesn't and did I mention old Pop?  Yep hate it.  Heard it too many freaking times.  Also saccharine love songs and whilst I don't hate 'Bonce' I could care less that your billionaire husband cheated on you.  Fooey! angel

Gary
Gary SuperDork
8/17/18 10:58 p.m.

This is interesting. It's a good question to get us thinking about what music we like and what music we don't like. You can't agree or disagree because it's based on our individual opinion. And that's OK. So   based on that premise, I agree with everybody. (Isn't that great?) But I personally don't like hip-hop and rap. I like most everything else.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
8/17/18 11:11 p.m.

I hate music created by the self-important. You can hear it in recordings and see it when the performer plays live. Music is intrinsically a shared experience. Instruments project outwards, away from the player. Guitars and pianos are meant to draw crowds, not be an individual’s “Everest” to conquer in solitude.

The genre doesn’t matter to me. Rap written to entertain entertains me. Classic rock meant to fill a stadium really gets me going. The introspection in g flat is what I hate. Rachmaninov pieces are just torture for the performers and the audience.  

If your goal is to be a musician, make music a big, varied crowd can enjoy and recommend. If you have to explain it and you have to exclude uncivilized listeners, just keep it to yourself.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
8/17/18 11:11 p.m.

Enough has been said about modern pop/bro country that is all about nostalgia for a past that didn't exist so I will say

James berkeleying Taylor

I also cannot stand the coked out, self indulgence that is Led Zeppelin.

I came of age in the era of spandex clad glam metal. Motley Cru, ratt, whitesnake et al. Consequently I grew up believing I didn't actually like music. I certainly didn't connect with any I heard be it hair metal or the Mandrell sisters stuff my parents exposed me to.

But yeah. James Taylor.

And Nick had it right

And an artist I should love given my musical interests but cannot stand is Patti Smith.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/18 12:19 a.m.

I can't tolerate country music.  It is the lowest possible form of something that can be called "music."  It is formulaic regurgitation of the same exact chords, themes, and the last stronghold of the backward-thinking, agoraphobic, misogynist, white-supremacist, ignorance.

I said it.

Aside from that, it is barely considered music in my opinion.  Anyone can play the same 4 chords over and over and talk about trucks and short skirts with a fake accent.

When six of the top country music songs of 2016 can be played simultaneously without notable distinction, it is no longer art.  It barely passes for music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SwIvxj8o

Curtis
8/18/18 12:26 a.m.
JamesMcD said:

Zydeco is like Acadian country music, which means I should hate it... but I don't.  Something about the genuine simplicity.

Curtis
8/18/18 12:31 a.m.
mtn said:

Most pop country. Which is sad, because country done right is my preference. 

Also, John Denver. 

Country could be done right, but I agree... pop country is just awful.

Western is a different story.  Johnny Cash, Glenn Campbell, Marty Robbins, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Sons of the Pioneers... THAT was good stuff.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
8/18/18 2:52 a.m.

Modern rap, anything pop and radio country. I can handle select country songs but 90% of them suck.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/18 5:28 a.m.
Curtis said:
JamesMcD said:

Zydeco is like Acadian country music, which means I should hate it... but I don't.  Something about the genuine simplicity.

We saw a zydeco band perform here a couple years ago. Every song was the same tempo & key, with minimal rhythmic or harmonic variation. After 3 songs I’d had enough. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/18 5:42 a.m.

So far, nobody has proclaimed their hatred for blues.  This restores my hope in humanity.  

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
8/18/18 5:56 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

So far, nobody has proclaimed their hatred for blues.  This restores my hope in humanity.  

Thanks for the reminder. I berkeleyING HATE blues. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/18/18 6:36 a.m.

I've never heard of this bro-country. Would Big and Rich be classified as bro-country?

I saw an ad for one of their concerts a few years ago and wondered, did I just hear country rap? I think I did.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/18/18 7:46 a.m.
Suprf1y said:

I've never heard of this bro-country. Would Big and Rich be classified as bro-country?

I saw an ad for one of their concerts a few years ago and wondered, did I just hear country rap? I think I did.

Big and rich is the poster child for bro country. Them and florida Georgia line. If I see a truck dragging its ass like a dog across carpet, it will have those stickers on it.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/18/18 7:53 a.m.
Suprf1y said:

Big and Rich isn't quite Bro-country. Too weird.

Bro-country is going to be Blake Shelton from the last 10 years, ("Boys round here" is especially offensive), Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line... Toby Keith kind of started it, but IMHO it is a little unfair to Keith as he has decent songs if you get into the albums a little bit, and he hates it as well but wants to make a few [hundreds of millions] bucks--his take: “…you start playing it to a twenty-something audience, and it’s like, ‘Naw, man, there ain’t no mud on that tire. That ain’t about a Budweiser can. That ain’t about a chicken dancing out by the river. That ain’t about smoking a joint by the haystack. That’s about somebody dying and E36 M3.’

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
8/18/18 8:01 a.m.
Curtis said:

I can't tolerate country music.  It is the lowest possible form of something that can be called "music."  It is formulaic regurgitation of the same exact chords, themes, and the last stronghold of the backward-thinking, agoraphobic, misogynist, white-supremacist, ignorance. 

You put my disgust for country into words better than I ever could. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/18/18 8:09 a.m.
Suprf1y said:

Country rap or “hick-hop” is more the domain of The Lacs, Jawga Boys, Big Smo, Bubba Sparxx, etc.....

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/18/18 8:25 a.m.
Ranger50 said:
Suprf1y said:

Country rap or “hick-hop” is more the domain of The Lacs, Jawga Boys, Big Smo, Bubba Sparxx, etc.....

The Lacs, and Bubba Sparxxx are friggin great!  You take that back!  All of you!

My personal distaste is for classical, most any rock before the late 70s, the Beatles, I hate the friggin Beatles and anyone that sounds like the Beatles. Most Aerosmith is pretty awful.  70s pop is pretty bad.  Not a big fan of the super heavy GWAR/Hatebreed/Slipknot screaming quote unquote metal music that people claim is awesome.  

Loves, since its easier to be positive than negative

Aformentioned Bubba Sparxx, The Lacs, Brantley Gilbert, Jamie Johnson, Cody Jinks, etc Nu Country whether classic country or hick-hop its all great.  80s hair metal and rock (not heavy metal) is great  Ratt, Whitesnake, Warrant, Motley Crue.  Marilyn Manson is great.  ICP is great!  Dark Lotus is super great!  Pearl Jam is great!  Sort of miss Soundgarden, not as much as I miss Nirvana.  

You guys gotta take yourself less seriously!

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/18/18 8:36 a.m.

Kid Rock and the Beastie Boys 

Kid is a talentless hack and BB are irritating in every way imaginable. 

I'll take back the part about Kid being talentless. Everyone says he puts on a good show, so there's that.  And he's good at regurgitating Bob Segar songs and making them even less sincere that they were when Bob sang them. 

If given the choice between listening to either the BBs, Kid Rock, or taking a beating in the county jail, not sure I could decide. Might have to use the Magic 8 Ball to decide. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/18/18 8:40 a.m.
93gsxturbo said:
Ranger50 said:
Suprf1y said:

The Lacs, and Bubba Sparxxx are friggin great!  You take that back!  All of you!

My personal distaste is for classical, most any rock before the late 70s, the Beatles, I hate the friggin Beatles and anyone that sounds like the Beatles. Most Aerosmith is pretty awful.  70s pop is pretty bad.  Not a big fan of the super heavy GWAR/Hatebreed/Slipknot screaming quote unquote metal music that people claim is awesome.  

Loves, since its easier to be positive than negative

Aformentioned Bubba Sparxx, The Lacs, Brantley Gilbert, Jamie Johnson, Cody Jinks, etc Nu Country whether classic country or hick-hop its all great.  80s hair metal and rock (not heavy metal) is great  Ratt, Whitesnake, Warrant, Motley Crue.  Marilyn Manson is great.  ICP is great!  Dark Lotus is super great!  Pearl Jam is great!  Sort of miss Soundgarden, not as much as I miss Nirvana.  

You guys gotta take yourself less seriously!

Not sure if serious, or troll. You managed to mention nearly every genre most people hate in one shot. Good on you for being what you're into in any event. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/18/18 8:42 a.m.
DrBoost said:

Kid Rock and the Beastie Boys 

Kid is a talentless hack and BB are irritating in every way imaginable. 

I'll take back the part about Kid being talentless. Everyone says he puts on a good show, so there's that.  And he's good at regurgitating Bob Segar songs and making them even less sincere that they were when Bob sang them. 

If given the choice between listening to either the BBs, Kid Rock, or taking a beating in the county jail, not sure I could decide. Might have to use the Magic 8 Ball to decide. 

I've been listening to early BB again recently, and I'm pretty sure they're geniuses. The earliest of the bands that knew how to build a formula and sell a billion records, but do it just subversive enough that if you're paying attention, you know what they're up to. Paul Revere is that song to me. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/18 9:49 a.m.

The new radio policies at work have me subjected to pop country for two, two and a half days a week.

I am convinced that country is no different from ghetto rap.

I amuse myself with a game:  See how many songs they can play in a row that do NOT call out brand names in the lyrics.  So far, the record is 1.  Everything else calls out brand names, because buyin' brand-name stuff is a sign of high class for people who are of low class.

Seriously, it's all Z71 this and Powerstroke that and King of Beers and Ajax and whatever, confusing "what you own" with quality of life.

And two of the currently high-rotation songs are about a guy who is lusting after his underage girlfriend, and a guy who wonders if the girl who he knocked up in high school still thinks about him.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5j6V6XwnB2B4afIdWFuEenR5Rr1ZJjrG8aVzYZ3Sej4yluDNzIAPnNY2cdQFmgRj