1 2
mrsoul55
mrsoul55 New Reader
10/6/08 7:52 a.m.

I posted a Craigslist ad for an old watch of mine that I'm selling for a decent amount of money. I got an email from someone almost immediately asking if I still have the item. I tell hime yes and ask what additional details he wants. He then sends the following email: >>Sounds good, I would like to purchase it from you as soon as possible. (I am interested and ready to buy it now) and also The easiest way for me to pay is probably Cashier Check from my Bank. I know there are a lot of scams so I have no problem with you waiting for the Cashier Check to go through at your bank or anything, then you will have to proceed to your bank and cash the check when you receive it. I will wait for your bank to verify and clear the Cashier Check also you would be shipping the jewellery to aunty via Express Mail Service of USPS.And also my Bank Operator informed me that the check will clear immediately at your bank as it was from a valid account. Which is Confirmed to All American Banking Association rules and standards and i think you would accept my method of payment kindly email me your full name and contact address not P.O BOX with your phone number for me to send you the check which will be delivered by UPS cause check will be sent to you via UPS NEXT DAY EARLY AM delivery.>>

He didn't want pictures or anything. I know this is most likely a scam and I'm probably wasting your time having you read it but I'm not 100% sure. It just seems really fishy to me.

Thanks for any help.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
10/6/08 8:01 a.m.

Check comes to you via UPS (private service) and not government "Mail Fraud"

He is telling you that the check will clear immediately (which it will not) and then plans to hound you about sending the item immediately.

He would like the item shipped via United States Post Office (USPS) which will ship to an annonomous P.O. Box and not require signature - unlike UPS which can require both signature and physical address.

Typical scam and he likely send the same response to all jewlery listings.

mrsoul55
mrsoul55 New Reader
10/6/08 8:07 a.m.

Thanks, JRW. I'd love to screw with this jerk but don't want to waste my time.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
10/6/08 8:14 a.m.

Have him send you the check and then forward it right on to the FBI with the tracking #

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
10/6/08 8:16 a.m.

Tell him that you only have PO box and that he has to send the check via The Post Office (mail fraud.)

You will never hear from him again - until you list another piece of jewlery and then he will be the first to write.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
10/6/08 8:21 a.m.

Not certain, but if you cash it at your bank, isn't there some account information on the cancelled check?

Dan

integraguy
integraguy Reader
10/6/08 10:42 a.m.

While it's POSSIBLE this is not a scam. The thought of buying anything over the internet without additional info or pix should be a red flag.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/6/08 10:46 a.m.

When you deposit the check, it will appear as a credit in your account almost immediately, but will not clear for a while after that.

He's playing a game based on the fact that most people probably think that when a credit shows in your account, that the money is actually there.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/6/08 10:49 a.m.

Anytime anyone wants to rush a purchase or a sale, you can bet that you are getting scammed.

davidjs
davidjs New Reader
10/6/08 11:27 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Not certain, but if you cash it at your bank, isn't there some account information on the cancelled check? Dan

It would typically be a real bank, but a fake (or stolen) account number. By the time the check is processed (~3 days since it will be an "out of region" check), you'll have shipped it.

Your bank will then come after you for bad check fees, and you'll probably get a visit from your local PD to make sure you're not passing bad checks.

They'll often also send a check for a larger amount, and ask you to send cash or western union the extra back to them. Then they get the merchandise AND extra money.

mrsoul55
mrsoul55 New Reader
10/6/08 12:17 p.m.

I told him to "Go sit on it" - Richie Cunningham style!

I'll let you guys know if he bothers responding.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
10/6/08 12:23 p.m.

A cashier's check is as good as cash, except for one thing. Scenario: He'll send you a check, which you'll deposit and get your money, and then after a couple days, the check will come back to your bank as "stolen" or "counterfeit." By which point, you, being the good citizen you are, will have sent out your merch. Your bank, on the other hand, will want their cash back from you, and will ding your checking account for whatever amount the phony cashier's check was written for. If you've already spent it, tough, you still owe them.

Cash in hand is the best policy. Anything involving a check of any kind is subject to the possibility of fraud any more.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/08 1:21 p.m.

The last time I got one of these, I told the guy the price for the car had gone from $900 to $10000. He said that was okay. So I had him send the money orders to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. I figured they needed the money.

Guy hasn't come to pick up his car yet.

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
10/6/08 2:13 p.m.

Each time I get these I just give them my name and address to send it to.

Well actually I have them send it to the local FBI internet fraud department c/o the cheif investigator....but they dont know that.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/6/08 2:16 p.m.

Where do you find the information for the FBI internet fraud dept? I'd be far more amused to send scammers there than to tell them to berkeley off.

EastCoastMojo
10/6/08 2:20 p.m.

FBI Internet Fraud Linky
FBI Linky
Linky

Look on the interweb silly.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
10/6/08 2:45 p.m.

What is with CL these days? We listed some furniture items last week and of the five responses we have received four were scams just like this one, one was from somebody who sight unseen offered us half of what we asked and then argued about that.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/6/08 3:32 p.m.
wreckerboy wrote: What is with CL these days? We listed some furniture items last week and of the five responses we have received four were scams just like this one, one was from somebody who sight unseen offered us half of what we asked and then argued about that.

I had a guy who asked me what my bottom dollar on a car was, and I told him, what I'm asking in the add. I sent him additional pictures, etc. and he came driving from like 6 hours away, got their didn't even look at the car and said he would only give me half of what I was asking, and then complained that I wasted his time when I said no. Sir.. You wasted Your own time.. not I.

Craigslist used to be cool.. Now it is pretty lame unless you are dealing local. Anything over about 1 hour drive just isn't worth it.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/6/08 4:53 p.m.

I get a lot more flakes on Craigslist than scammers.

Although I sold some wheels a couple weeks ago, and both legitimate people who contacted me both opened with "What's the least you're will to take for these". My response was "What's the most you're willing to pay?"

EastCoastMojo
10/6/08 10:24 p.m.

I have had better luck buying stuff on Craigslist than I have selling.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/7/08 10:31 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I have had better luck buying stuff on Craigslist than I have selling.

Probably because you're not a flake.

David_Chong
David_Chong New Reader
10/7/08 11:16 a.m.

Last month, I listed my 20' enclosed race trailer at 8:30 PM. I included an honest description and a fair price ($1000 more than I bought it for, actually). At 9 PM I had three replies from people who all wanted it, with firm commitments. One of the replies included a phone number begging me to call ASAP.

At 9:30 I got off the phone with the guy, who lived 2 hours away. He definitely wanted it and didn't want to risk losing it to a local in the morning, so he asked if it would be okay to drive down immediately, full asking price +$100 for my trouble in the middle of the night. I said okay. At 11:30 PM, with cash in hand, I watched my trailer go down the road behind his truck.

CL doesn't suck all the time.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/7/08 1:52 p.m.

Anytime you see something with "your item for sale" and "immediate" or if it has pathetic grammar, just walk away. Its software that just scopes the net for ads and sends generic emails with offers like that.

I reply with "cash only in person, nice try scammer."

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/7/08 2:07 p.m.

Andy, our Classic Motorsports auction editor, has been hitting gold on craigslist. He just bought a Boxster S for $15k out the door. The mileage was a little hight, but the car had its engine replaced at the dinner a little while back. His $22k Bentley was also a CL find.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
10/7/08 2:13 p.m.

I've had no luck selling on CL either. Both the Subaru and the go-kart I listed are still sitting here. I think it has to do with how established CL is in the area. In California it's been around forever. Here in KC, I think there's still a lot of folks who've never heard of it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8fqhvqxqhDfQ9t8wpYwBmk4j407Ws4QiW3SpsPQaP7rTDXvUzO2Yc5VHdHDDrTvV