1 2 3
JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/15/13 1:38 p.m.

I don't like avacados. I'm not picky enough to take them off of food, or to order something that comes with guacamole without it, but I never ever seek the stuff out. If it's available as a spread or dip, I ignore it. If it is the ONLY spread, I will each chips without dip. I once dated a girl who liked sandwiches with avacado and bean sprouts.....I can eat them, but again, would not seek them out.

The previous owner of this house felt differently than me, and planted a tree in the back yard. It normally doesn't bear fruit, so I just ignore it, and occasionally curse when I have to trim it.

I should have suspected that things were going to be different this year.....I found an avocado on the ground a few weeks ago, broken open. I threw it in the lawn trash and went about my business, ignoring it.....well, today I went out in the yard, and saw that there were probably close to a dozen of these things in my tree

I hate throwing good food away - especially if it grew in my back yard. Give me some avocado recipes that will hide the....avocado-ness of them. I'm thinking of strong flavors or textures that will make me totally disregard what they are. I'm not interested in any recipes that are causing species to go extinct

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
9/15/13 1:52 p.m.

Sorry about the profanity, it's too good not to post.

Check out http://thugkitchen.com/ for a couple ideas.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/15/13 1:53 p.m.

Give them away. Put them into a bag on the street and a "free" sign.

That happens every year in my In-laws neighborhood with avocados, mangos and a lot of other trees. Someone will take them.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/15/13 1:56 p.m.

I like an egg salad sandwich made with avocado instead of mayonnaise. Healthier, and really quite good. I'm not generally a huge fan of egg salad, but I enjoy this for lunch every now and again.

I'm not sure it'll hide the avocado enough for you, but some french bread served with avocado slices, salami, and black pepper is really good.

I don't know whether you have any interest in playing with guacamole, but it can be pretty so-so or quite good... I like mine with plenty of salt, a healthy squeeze of fresh lime juice, and a fair amount of finely minced fresh garlic.

I hated avocado when I was a kid, pretty much for textural reasons. I've changed my stance completely since then...

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/13 2:03 p.m.

The problems of those in tropical climates . I love avocados, and willingly pay one to two dollars for each one. I think you are clearly blessed.

Guacamole is the obvious answer. But just sliced and eaten any which way also works too. I suspect an avocado smoothie would be delicious but I would have to play around to know what ingredients to include.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
9/15/13 2:04 p.m.

I too hated avocados as a kid but now I like having them on just about everything.

Be creative with your guac recipes, you can make some pretty tasty concoctions.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/15/13 2:22 p.m.

My wife makes Guacamole. Not as much she use to because of how expensive they have gotten here.

All I can say is I'm berkeleying jealous. I would love an avacado tree.

My wife would be making it every week if we had one.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/15/13 2:40 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Give them away. Put them into a bag on the street and a "free" sign.

If I do that, I'll take them to work to give them away. Actually, I know someone I might be able to trade avocados for starfruit.....that's not a bad idea.

That thug cooking site was a wash.....no avocado recipes on the page that picture came from.

So far, these are the best things I've seen:
avocado fries
grilled avocados (...with a chili-lime sauce)

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/15/13 2:47 p.m.

I peel them, add a dash of salt and eat them. Also good on burgers, salad, just about anything.

Love the egg salad idea. I'll have to try that.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/15/13 2:48 p.m.

^^^ spoken like someone who likes avocados.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/15/13 2:50 p.m.

OOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!! I just had an idea: Who's in the office on Fridays, and how early in the day does GRM close up shop? Does anybody at GRM HQ want to trade GRM swag for avocados?

[I don't get out of class until 3:00 pm]

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
9/15/13 2:54 p.m.

Do not give them to your pets. They are like poison to many animals--possibly worse than chocolate.

Try cutting one in half and installing cellphone electronics. Then you can talk to people on an avocado instead of a phone. Think about all of the interesting conversations you'll start with people doing that!

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/15/13 2:56 p.m.

No suggestions if you don't like them.

But I am jealous!

EDIT: On our vacation last year we had a sandwich you might like. It was a grilled cheese sandwich with avocado, tomato, bacon.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
9/15/13 3:03 p.m.

I don't like them at all. Only my wife eats them.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/15/13 4:02 p.m.

Oh yum! They're great on a sandwich with hummus.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
9/15/13 4:03 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Oh yum! They're great on a sandwich with hummus.

Doh, hummus is even worse

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/15/13 4:17 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Oh yum! They're great on a sandwich with hummus.

Come to FL to work for GRM, and you can have all of them whenever they're on the tree.

(...and hummus might be a good idea. I can make a hummus spicy enough to cover the flavor of an avocado....not sure about the texture, though.)

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine HalfDork
9/15/13 4:17 p.m.

Sell them? I started a tree a few years back. They usually take 7 years to to produce

impulsive
impulsive Reader
9/15/13 4:18 p.m.

cut in half, remove pit, fill pit cavities w/salsa, eat with spoon

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
9/15/13 4:49 p.m.

Put in bag, bring to farmer's market, sell whole bag in 5 minutes at $0.25 each. 30 minutes at $0.50/ea.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/15/13 4:55 p.m.

A bag sells for $4 or $5 up here! I love the flavour of ripe avocado, it's almost buttery.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
9/15/13 5:07 p.m.

Make large batches of Fajitas.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/15/13 5:27 p.m.

Avocado is disgusting.

My advice is trebuchet, or use the hearts as potato-cannon ammo.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
9/15/13 5:33 p.m.

we've got a lime tree... thanks to facebook we are able to give them away to friends fairly easily... there are only so many margaritas and sonic type cherry limeaids you can make lol.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
9/15/13 6:00 p.m.

An avocado tree would be awesome. Pretty sure you need to live in some sort of wacky climate in order to grow them though.

Guacamole, sliced on a turkey sandwich, or cut up on a salad is how I eat them, and they are going for north of a dollar each around here.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h98i58BjAdDzZ9DWDkhBECiFmOunP7PfsyHhK7cfbeKgKSwiVnpcLbyezNifMRaW