1 2 3
Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/18/15 8:17 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Can't believe nobody said vacuum cleaner yet. No wait... Dustbuster FTW.

True story: I knew a guy whose wife asked for vacuum cleaner bags for Christmas - and he was planning on getting them for her. It's the little things that count, I guess. And this was not a situation where vacuum cleaner bags represented much of an investment for them.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/18/15 9:23 a.m.

Ugh, so terrible at buying gifts.

Got yelled at for the spa thing

Did up a fancy romantic trinket from scratch - said she wanted something more practical

Bought coat hangars - too practical

Who knows?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/18/15 9:33 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Cash. Go shopping with her- tell her "yes, you can buy that- we'll call it your Christmas present". Done.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
12/18/15 9:33 a.m.

Personally, I'd be looking into something she'd never forget. http://www.nascarracingexperience.com/ http://skipbarber.com/ http://royhilldragracingschool.com

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
12/18/15 11:23 a.m.

Concert tickets?

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
12/18/15 11:32 a.m.

Stocking stuffer

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/18/15 11:38 a.m.

A girlfriend

pres589
pres589 UberDork
12/18/15 11:39 a.m.

A Pentax DSLR.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
12/18/15 12:08 p.m.

A Wookiee for Christmas?

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/18/15 12:26 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: Can't believe nobody said vacuum cleaner yet. No wait... Dustbuster FTW.

One year around the first week of February, SWMBO said she really wanted snow tires for her truck. She then complained about the lack of romance indicated by the receipt of such tires (and wheels!) on Valentine's Day.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
12/18/15 1:26 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Ugh, so terrible at buying gifts. Got yelled at for the spa thing Did up a fancy romantic trinket from scratch - said she wanted something more practical Bought coat hangars - too practical Who knows?

The correct answer is never the correct answer after conversion from idea to execution.

Personally, I've always had good luck with doing things enjoyed together.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/18/15 1:30 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to tuna55: Cash. Go shopping with her- tell her "yes, you can buy that- we'll call it your Christmas present". Done.

Tried that, too

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
12/18/15 2:27 p.m.
Karacticus wrote:
One year around the first week of February, SWMBO said she really wanted snow tires for her truck. She then complained about the lack of romance indicated by the receipt of such tires (and wheels!) on Valentine's Day.

Dated a woman a few years ago who's birthday fell a week before Valentines day. Got her something nice for her b-day (pearls) and caught holy hell on her Valentines Day (a Tuesday IIRC) for not getting her something nice then as well. Didn't matter that I planned to take her away the following weekend for a getaway shopping trip.

I dumped her the next day, I don't need that level of ingratitude.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/18/15 2:47 p.m.
scardeal wrote: A Wookiee for Life Day?

FTFY

captdownshift
12/18/15 2:49 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Should've given her another pearl necklace on Valentines Day

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
12/18/15 3:46 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to KyAllroad: Should've given her another pearl necklace on Valentines Day

I think he made the best choice there....

drainoil
drainoil Reader
12/18/15 4:15 p.m.

Wow, everything is pg rated so far, you guys are all so well behaved.

pav5069
pav5069 New Reader
12/18/15 4:17 p.m.

Im pulling the we are in the middle of buying a house and have no money so no gifts this year :(

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
12/18/15 4:24 p.m.

Nothing? There's reason I'm divorced.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
12/18/15 6:35 p.m.

We simply don't do it - we have more than we need already, and stay out of stores from Oct to Jan. Win win. We spend lots of family time together, but more stuff isn't part of the equation.

Note that you both need to want this for it to work. YMMV.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
12/18/15 8:22 p.m.
scardeal wrote: A Wookiee for Christmas?

Ah, so you've seen me naked

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
12/18/15 8:24 p.m.
drainoil wrote: Wow, everything is pg rated so far, you guys are all so well behaved.

Perhaps you've missed the captains comments.

captdownshift
12/18/15 9:10 p.m.

In reply to joey48442:

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/18/15 9:49 p.m.

Three words.

Hitachi magic wand.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/18/15 9:51 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: My wife wants an Audi R8, and since she's a small town girl she says she'll be happy with the V8. I got her a coffee cup.

I seem to recall wearymicrobe looking for one of those. Apparently they aren't easy to find.

Since I've been without a SWMBO for a couple of years now, I only have to buy something for my mother. Who has far more money than me and can buy darned near anything she wants. So the trick has been finding something she wants but doesn't know it. This year, I bought her a new Nativity for her front yard. We set it up today. She was very happy. My Christmas shopping is done. Bonus: I didn't have to wrap it!

A "standard" yearly gift for my ex- was detailing supplies from Griot's. New cotton rags and buffing pads. This was a given whether she asked for them or not. We used to exchange gift lists, but it always pissed her off as I'd buy everything on her list. She never got anything on my list, no matter how well I tried to keep it under budget.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ViX9sgg993jEQoYNcA2Fvl62z7kfA42ozW1dZereOnhC7vb7WZqLduBdMkJEEkKL