DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/23/17 1:55 p.m.

I'll be in Vancouver, BC and might end up with 1/2 a day to kill. Anything worth doing/seeing besides the stunning scenery?
On that note, any particularly beautiful/entertaining drives in and around Vancouver, I'll actually be in North Vancouver.
As far as restaurants, any great places I need to try?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/23/17 2:24 p.m.

Well, if you feel like a drive to sunny south Surrey, I can give you a shop tour.

www.vintagerodshop.com

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/23/17 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

I was going to give you a hard time about using the word "sunny", but then I remembered it sometimes doesn't rain in the spring out there.

I once saw the sun shine for a whole day in Vancouver, but nobody out here believes me.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/23/17 2:49 p.m.

Ha, yeah, the weather here is awful. Everyone should stay away from the lower mainland.

More empty, curvy roads for me.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/23/17 3:43 p.m.

There are empty, curvy roads down there? Pish posh. If you can't do a wheelie on your bicycle in and out of the dotted line in the middle of the road, the road ain't empty.

I'm a humble 4 hours east of Vancouver.

And when the cop asks "Why are you in such a hurry?"

"It just feels so good to get the hell out of Vancouver" doesn't get you out of the ticket.

morecowbell
morecowbell New Reader
3/23/17 3:46 p.m.

Well if you are already in North Vancouver I would suggest the following:

Sea to Sky highway is pretty neat - that is the road leading up to Whistler along the coast from North/West Van.

Go to the top of Grouse mountain and have a meal at the Observatory restaurant

Check out the Capilano Suspension Bridge and cliff walk

morecowbell
morecowbell New Reader
3/23/17 3:48 p.m.

And bring a rain jacket cause.... it is Vancouver.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
3/23/17 3:49 p.m.

Go to Dumpling House for dinner and Jam Cafe for breakfast.

morecowbell
morecowbell New Reader
3/23/17 3:52 p.m.

I'm looking out my office window right now at North Van and it is almost sunny....

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/23/17 4:16 p.m.

The back roads from Langley to Hope are motorcycle heaven.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
3/23/17 6:51 p.m.

Man, sounds like we should have a meet-up in the greater Van area - I've been in Metrotown (Burnaby) for about 10 of the last 12 weeks for work. Note that I live in the Tacoma/Seattle area when I'm not traveling for work.

Skinny, where are you? I have to got to Adams Lake (Chase), Grand Forks, and Castlegar very regularly.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/23/17 6:56 p.m.

Thanks all, keep 'em coming.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/23/17 7:45 p.m.

Vancouver museum has a great display of a bunch of the vintage neon from downtown.

Chinatown is cool

If you like boats, check out the Maritime Museum.

Museum of Anthropology at UBC is great.

If you like architecture, the Marine Building is an art deco building in downtown and is simply awesome. The Hotel Vancouver is equally great, be sure to look up when you're outside. Simon Fraser University has been used in several science fiction shows, I think it was even Starfleet Academy once. Christ Church Cathedral is pretty amazing inside.

If you like whiny protesters and homeless people, check out the Art Gallery.

If you want great food, The Eatery is a wild restaurant and the decor is indescribable. Tomahawk Barbecue is one of the oldest diners in town (1920s) and you won't find a more "Canadian" place to eat.

If you ride a motorcycle and can spare some time. Drop by my place, borrow a bike and I'll show you some fantastic roads and great scenery.

I love it here. We live where people go on vacation.

P.S. Not sure what state you're from but if someone in Vancouver asks if you want to play Cornhole, politely decline. That word has a bit different meaning up here. :D

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/23/17 7:48 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote: There are empty, curvy roads down there? Pish posh. If you can't do a wheelie on your bicycle in and out of the dotted line in the middle of the road, the road ain't empty.

We keep those roads hidden from you hillbillies.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/23/17 8:36 p.m.

Hillbillies pfft. Seven years I wasted down there.... Seven years I will never get back again. Made worse because I'm heading down to Vancouver soon.

If you watch "Once Upon A Time" - it's filmed in Steveston (Just south of Richmond, just south of Vancouver). Dave's Fish & Chips is great in Steveston.

Mezzanine - I'm in Kelowna.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
3/23/17 8:46 p.m.

I'm in Victoria these days but I could see popping over to the mainland for a meetup. The ferry is a sodding ripoff but what can you do.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
3/23/17 8:49 p.m.

BTW if you guys haven't seen this yet it's pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VslCYTZdfHg

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/23/17 10:34 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG:

I spent a week in Kelowna one day.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/23/17 11:23 p.m.

Heaven is like that.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
3/24/17 12:07 a.m.
Mezzanine wrote: Man, sounds like we should have a meet-up in the greater Van area

I'm at the top of WA but am in Pitt Meadows frequently to AX, I'm in.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/24/17 12:28 a.m.

I'm in for a meet.

How about a new thread for a West Coast meet so we don't clog up the O.P.s thread:

New thread in off topic

Rons
Rons GRM+ Member
3/25/17 9:41 a.m.

I live in North Vancouver and have been a lurker for a while. I'll ask what part of town you're staying in. Given you don't have a lot of time an interesting drive would be Marine Drive just head west once you are past Park Royal, Ambelside, and Dundarave Marine becomes very twisty and at times extremely narrow. If you're into skiing the local hills(Seymour, Grouse, and Cypress) are still open and I know it was snowing at Cypress yesterday.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
3/25/17 1:45 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to SkinnyG: I spent a week in Kelowna one day.

Yeah, sometimes one day here can sure feel like a week .

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/25/17 8:29 p.m.
Rons wrote: I live in North Vancouver and have been a lurker for a while. I'll ask what part of town you're staying in. Given you don't have a lot of time an interesting drive would be Marine Drive just head west once you are past Park Royal, Ambelside, and Dundarave Marine becomes very twisty and at times extremely narrow. If you're into skiing the local hills(Seymour, Grouse, and Cypress) are still open and I know it was snowing at Cypress yesterday.

Not sure of the area exactly, but I wanna sat it's fairly close to the airport.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
3/27/17 2:20 a.m.

Er, North Van isn't close to the airport.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GQv8ks1asrdz2fQaOkBQxrigyyjc1RdNKqj0iTHhwZQpik5PGdsjkdSpD19afEVy