1 2
bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/7/17 4:20 p.m.

Boats! Specifically building stitch and glue ones. Start w/ a small kayak/canoe and move up to ones that'll take a small outboard. Can futz w/ the motors there, too. Can do it all with hand tools.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/7/17 4:22 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Well, since we're all trying to get you to come visit now, let me recommend Houston. We'll start with the world class medical facilities, move on to the vibrant winter motorsports scene (I can autocross twice a month all winter), and finish by offering you a pace to stay in the Grosh while you get settled. I can free up the work bay so you have access to the lift and my meager assortment of tools. With four kids, a dog, and a whole binder of ongoing projects, I dare you to get bored. laugh

Seth I would love to kill some time in the Grosh. Mostly I would ignore your protest and fix up that damn station wagon that you keep walking by and ignoring.

Lived in Dallas for a while and got hired out of Houston when I was in the oil patch, so I kinda know my way around the state. Current job takes me to Austin and San Antonio to visit with collaborators at the Universities. Funny enough, my Spanish seems to get a good workout in Texas!

Maybe if I flew down and bought a truck, trailer and classic car to haul home every spring to sell locally, I could have some fun and defray expenses. That would give me vehicle hunting as a hobby. I could just tell the wife we are in Mexico!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/17 4:22 p.m.

Cost of living on the MS coast is cheap, the scenery and weather are beautiful, it's just touristy enough that there's almost always something going on, and I could keep going on about it as well...

Might be worth considering for you. Feel free to PM if you want to discuss more or I can give you my #. 

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
12/7/17 4:59 p.m.
NOHOME said:

The Mobile home gypsy thing might work if I can convince her it is safe. She wont even try the Sailboat that I thought was a natural for this.

The boat is probably safer and all I had to suggest, it's hard to run out of stuff to fix on a sailboat. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/7/17 7:42 p.m.

As a Canadian aren't you required by law to play pond hockey? What are you doing here? The puck drops in 10 minutes.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/7/17 7:50 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I'm not ignoring it, I'm enjoying it aesthetically while I..........ignore it. Crap. 

About half my neighborhood is native Spanish speaking. Things rust here but go west and there is a lot of good sheet metal. Hang out, cruise CL, come autocross the 911 with me, we'll have fun. 

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
12/7/17 8:03 p.m.
fanfoy said:
Datsun310Guy said:

This is why I see a group of men at our local  McDonald's at 6:00am on a Saturday morning hanging out - they have nothing to do.

Move to Santa Barbara, CA.  

1. Walk to the local coffee shop for a scone and coffee every day.  Walk home and watch the news at noon.  

2. Walk to the local fish restaurant for fish tacos every day for an early dinner.  Walk home and watch the 9:00pm WGN News.   Hopefully your route took you near a beach or boardwalk.  

Repeat daily.

This sounds like a very cruel and dull version of hell

Spent any time there? You do realize that the Pacific Ocean is cold in the winter and makes the wind cold. I grew up in the next town north of Santa Barbara, Lompoc. However, there are some great canyon roads around that area. Those canyon roads is what got me into sports cars rather than the hot rod muscle cars.

However, according to the news and some friends I still have around that area. It may be very warm right now with all the fires in the area. Ventura is the next town south.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/17 8:22 p.m.

When I took my first honeymoon to St Croix, there was an older couple who ran the place where we stayed.  6 or 8 rooms, a little bar/grille and a pool.  They went there on vacation just after he retired, and fell in love with the place. The owner was looking to travel, and needed someone to live on-site and manage the place.  They literally never went home again.  

They enjoyed the island life, he puttered about doing general maintenance and repairs, she booked rooms and changed sheets.  That to me, would be ideal.  

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/17 8:26 p.m.

Oh, I thought of another one.  When I was skiing in Whistler/Blackomb, I met a group of older gentlemen having a sack lunch together.  Sitting outside, enjoying the view, shooting the breeze.  Apparently, there was a issue with too many rental cars getting stuck there or needed there or something.  Once or twice a week, a van from Enterprise Rental picked them all up, and they all drove up from Vancouver together, sipping coffee and telling stories about the grandkids.  The would have lunch together, and then each would drive a rental back to Vancouver.  (or they drove the cars up and carpooled back...I cant remember which).  

Each would also occasionally ferry cars to other locations or help deliver new cars to lots.  Seemed like a nice way to stay busy, but not too busy, and get to drive lots of cars.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/7/17 8:28 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

When I took my first honeymoon to St Croix, there was an older couple who ran the place where we stayed.  6 or 8 rooms, a little bar/grille and a pool.  They went there on vacation just after he retired, and fell in love with the place. The owner was looking to travel, and needed someone to live on-site and manage the place.  They literally never went home again.  

They enjoyed the island life, he puttered about doing general maintenance and repairs, she booked rooms and changed sheets.  That to me, would be ideal.  

I grew up in Puerto Rico  and have taken the bride there twice. She likes the place a lot. I can even work there legally since I am a US citizen.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/8/17 6:22 a.m.

Move to Cuba and get into the import/ export business as a sideline.  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/8/17 7:03 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Maybe I should just build a corridor between the house and the shop, and replace all the windows in the house with giant TV screens showing tropical views, and not go outside between December and April!

I've talked about the guy in York, PA who built a shop on his property where he does car restoration work full-time. It has a tunnel between the lower level and his basement. He can go to work without going outside.  I'm jealous.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/8/17 7:59 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

The south has a lot going for it especially weather wise. What it also has is a reputation for gun violence. Now I know enough southerners to realize that’s not everybody. Yet many of the people I speak with that is the first thing that talk about.  

When I meet with fellow Vietnam vets, guys who have survived combat you see heads shaking and them quietly backing out of the conversation   When pressed on the subject it’s always about gun violence ( which admittedly happens here too) especially places like Texas! With their Wild West mentality about guns and gun rights.  

At family gatherings there is often a time share condo that goes unused because of fear of gun violence.  

I’ve made a few friends in Europe who share that same fear. They don’t identify it with the south but all of America.  Nor is it only about guns but violence in general  

If you’ve ever visited Europe you’ll see how much income they make from tourism.  We have better places more interesting places yet we loose hundreds of billions of tourism dollars  over the issue of violence.  

slefain
slefain PowerDork
12/8/17 9:01 a.m.

Buy a cabin cruiser, do a speed run of the Great Loop.

Apparently 8 weeks is the record right now....

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/8/17 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

my shop is the whole first floor, a little over 1800 sq ft  

i walk down in my pajamas sometimes

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/8/17 9:20 a.m.

In reply to slefain :

does it count if you use the intercostal waterway across Florida? 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/8/17 10:00 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Ian F :

The south has a lot going for it especially weather wise. What it also has is a reputation for gun violence. Now I know enough southerners to realize that’s not everybody. Yet many of the people I speak with that is the first thing that talk about.  

When I meet with fellow Vietnam vets, guys who have survived combat you see heads shaking and them quietly backing out of the conversation   When pressed on the subject it’s always about gun violence ( which admittedly happens here too) especially places like Texas! With their Wild West mentality about guns and gun rights.  

At family gatherings there is often a time share condo that goes unused because of fear of gun violence.  

I’ve made a few friends in Europe who share that same fear. They don’t identify it with the south but all of America.  Nor is it only about guns but violence in general  

If you’ve ever visited Europe you’ll see how much income they make from tourism.  We have better places more interesting places yet we loose hundreds of billions of tourism dollars  over the issue of violence.  

People in the US are not aware of what the rest of the world thinks about their guns and violence image; think Ireland during the "Troubles". I travel south often enough to know the truth, but its not a good PR story. Yes, it is affecting tourism.  It is a personal problem in that the wife does not want to travel with me when I go to see friend or relatives south of the border.

I would love to do the great loop, it looks like my kind of way to spend time.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/8/17 10:10 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Some aren’t aware,  usually those with little perspective of the rest of the world and America’s place in it.  

They are also the same people who think America is the best country in the world 

They can’t conceive that another country might have good ideas that should be followed.  

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/8/17 10:21 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to NOHOME :

Some aren’t aware,  usually those with little perspective of the rest of the world and America’s place in it.  

They are also the same people who think America is the best country in the world 

They can’t conceive that another country might have good ideas that should be followed.  

I have called Puerto Rico, Canada, USA, Nigeria and the UK as HOME  at some point in my life, and lost count of the places I have visited for work ( I don't do a lot of recreational/tourist travel ) and I can tell you there is  no such place as the "Best Place" . The world is full of amazing people and dickheads in about the same proportion.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/8/17 12:39 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

Please tell me more!  I’ve already got the cruiser!  How many miles is it?  Does it count if you use the intercoastal waterway across a Florida?  

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/8/17 1:10 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

There's a lot of info on it!

http://www.greatloop.org/

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
12/8/17 1:53 p.m.

Do you know about  Workaway?

We don't plan on doing one thing, rather different things in different places at different times of the year, and workaway will be a part of that. It answers the question of what to do with your time when in a new place.

Our other plan, and this will be as soon as I retire, is to buy a mini van (thread is coming), do a simple camper conversion on it, take our camping equipment and drive to the west coast camping along the way. Then drive south into the US all the way out to the east coast, back up into Canada and back home. We want to see all the provinces, and there's no timeline. We'll take as long as we want.

The question for us right now is what to use as our home base? I'm a part owner in a nice little bungalow in N.B. on 3/4 acre. A nice little place, and worth 1/10th of what our place here is. My buddy is selling his London house (you know what they're worth) and retiring to that little house in N.B. We're considering doing the same either there or P.Q. You don't always realize while you're living in the midst of it that Ontario has become insanely expensive to live in, yet other provinces haven't.

Too many options!

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
12/8/17 6:39 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

My choice.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FYgyRP1ZMp0ngqcNQq3QfNnShx8u7JCmnNOnGv2f5IIVEVjz7VIpQIztliIUY7dc