1 2
HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
5/18/18 12:31 p.m.

My vote is for whatever minivan lands in your budget (CR-V might be a good option) and the best DSG Gti you can find in the budget (I would try mk6).

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/18/18 4:57 p.m.

A Sienna or Kia sound like the answer, unfortunately.  The 5 drives so so so much better than any "fullsize" minivans.  But like it said, it is a bit on the small side.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/18 5:40 p.m.

If you're planning on having more than one child, I'd go straight to the minivan.  Power sliding doors are fantastic! 

We bought our Rav4 before we had kids, and then bought our Odyssey days before our second was born.  If all our vehicles were destroyed, I'd buy another minivan without hesitation, and the  I'd run through some scenarios to see what else we should get.

I think it's always better to make one change, settle in, and then reassess.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
6/11/18 11:56 a.m.

since you now have all 3 vehicles for sale, what are you planning to do? cheeky

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/18 12:05 p.m.
STM317 said:

We settled on a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe (full length/ 3 row not the shorter/ 2 row Sport model). It checked all the boxes, and could be had for less than a comparable Toyota Venza/ Highlander, or Honda Crosstour/CRV, etc.

Here is your answer. Hyundai has not been a joke in almost 20 years. Give the Santa Fe a try, you might like, they are even good looking now

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/11/18 12:24 p.m.
xflowgolf said:

since you now have all 3 vehicles for sale, what are you planning to do? cheeky

We went with a brand new Kia Sedona for the wife. I think I want a Lexus GS400/430, which does not meet my mileage or not-premium gas goals, but I think I’ll be happy in it for a long time as an automatic. And in a couple years I’ll add a third car back to the mix. 

Edit: also blew my budget out of the water, but the vans we liked were all still expensive used, and we got nearly $10k off MSRP on a leftover 2017. I figured we will likely have this for 10 years, so I just bit the bullet. That and the wife decided it was the one (I had ultimate decision here as I manage our finances and cars, she wouldn’t make a decision but I could tell this was what she wanted). 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
6/11/18 4:29 p.m.

Dodge Ram Megacab with the Cummins will do close to 20 MPG and the rear doors open up 90 degrees.   And its not a van.  

That would be my pick.

Other options not quite as awesome but still sort of OK.

Forester XT

Lexus GX/LX470

Whatever midsize Acura SUV you like

RAV4/CRV (I think they are ugly but they are good cars, not a huge upgrade but a bit bigger than your current CUV)

G63 AMG (or R63 AMG, I hear a guy on here knows a thing or 2 about them) if you want to be awesome!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CVD3e3r4TOepaCCPMF7gDr9xO3o6iXgX2uPJsUeGXPoB92kskUvmC3o5Xow0cASZ