1 2 3
mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/13/10 10:45 a.m.

So here's the deal. Yesterday's snow monsoon in MN taught me something. Shovelling sucks. Not even sorta sucks, really epically sucks. And with me buying a house, it's gonna suck more, because the driveway is all long and whatnot. The wife already had greenlit a 4-wheeler with a plow, BUT- I'm thinking I need a truck. The house we're purchasing is gonna need a little love, and some trips to lowesdepot. Now while it's been proven I can fit damn near anything in the ms3, it doesn't mean I want to. So- I think I'm going to buy a truck. And for the same price as a decent wheeler with a blade, I figure I can get fairly close to an entire truck with a blade. I won't be buying this immediately, because snow tax has driven anything with 4wd up in price. At the very least, I won't buy the plow itself til probably july..... figure we aren't getting any snow then.

As for the truck- I don't really care who made it or when. The big thing is, I know squat about plows and the trucks they attach to, so I'm kinda of looking to get an idea. I do know that i'm better off buying a truck and THEN putting a plow on it, and that's totally alright with me. I figure I'll buy the plow in the offseason so it's cheap, and have it installed before MN does something stupid and snows like crazy again next winter. What does the GRM collective know of such vehicles?

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
12/13/10 10:59 a.m.

Why not just a snow blower?

No insurance, minimal space needed, good on gas......

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
12/13/10 11:01 a.m.

The overwhelming majority of privately-owned plow trucks used around here, that seem to last are Dodge or Ford. I don't know why--and it's probably transmission related--but I hardly ever see older Chevy/GM plow tucks here in CT. They just don't seem to hold up, or can handle the snowing--whatever. Semi-scientific survery on this, as I've been keeping my eyes peeled looking at possibly picking up one for plowing/extra money over the past couple of winters.

Regarless, I do know a plow truck's frame and trans takes a beating. Also look at easy of conecting and disconnecting the plow. Some take hours, other 1/2 hour. Also, degree of blade control--lift, right/left axis rotation and how the hydraulics are powere up: poer take off from the engine, or seperate electrically-powered, stand-alone pump. Cost, reliability...others I'm sure can inform you on which is better for your intended use.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
12/13/10 11:07 a.m.

No help on the plow but here is a tip on the LowesDepot.
Go to the Post Office counter and ask for a Change of Address Form. These are now kept behind the counter and you have to ask for them. Tell them at the counter that you will fill it out and return it later. Promptly throw the form away but be sure to keep the Lowes 10% off anything you buy coupon. It is even good for special order items. No minimum purchase and it maxs out at $5,000 (for $500 off.)
The coupon is business card sized so I keep one in my wallet at all times.
Though it is a Lowes coupon, Depot and Menard's will honor the coupon as well - I have done it.

dinger
dinger New Reader
12/13/10 11:09 a.m.

A lot of guys up here in ND use these things: SnowSport Plow
They are only ~110 pounds so you can put them on pretty much any truck, and are more than enough unless you are going to start doing commercial snow removal.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/13/10 11:18 a.m.

Yeah, this is for private only.... and maybe if my neighbors wave money colored paper in my direction. I don't intend on getting into the plowing business.

And why no snowblower? I have thought of that as well. But either A- I get a single stage and it gets pwned on days like we had, or B- I get a 2 stage and it's overkill for what I need. I figure my general needs are probably more satisfied just buying a truck for lowesdepot runs, and then having a blade for when MN gets pissy with me.

Last but not least- thanks for the lowesdepot coupon tip. That's gonna save me some green, considering the wife wants to paint the whole flippin' house.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
12/13/10 11:22 a.m.

A snow blower can do sidewalks as well if that is a concern.
I like the picture of that Pontiac Vibe with the plow on the rear. That seems perfect for backing out of your driveway and getting off to work.
http://www.agricover.com/index.php/products/category/C100/

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
12/13/10 11:25 a.m.

Understood.

I just thought that a truck may be overkill in regards to cost/maintenance/insurance etc.vs. having HD/Lowes deliver it.

Just looking out for you.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/13/10 11:30 a.m.

My father's winter employment is plowing snow.

All of his plows are Meyers, and he swears up and down for diesel engines and chains on all four wheels. Keep your plow waxed, snow sticking to it kills your plowing efficiency.

It's really gonna depend on your snow, though (Champagne Powder? Sierra Cement? something in-between?), and being that you're only knocking out your own driveway, not 90-120 clients' driveways, your needs are likely significantly less than his.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
12/13/10 11:38 a.m.
mndsm wrote: And why no snowblower? I have thought of that as well. But either A- I get a single stage and it gets pwned on days like we had, or B- I get a 2 stage and it's overkill for what I need. I figure my general needs are probably more satisfied just buying a truck for lowesdepot runs, and then having a blade for when MN gets pissy with me. Last but not least- thanks for the lowesdepot coupon tip. That's gonna save me some green, considering the wife wants to paint the whole flippin' house.

Seems like a single stage and starting early, wait a few hours and make another pass (more if necessary) might be a serious consideration. Of course, this depends on how much time you have or are willing to committ.

That coupon tip will help on all things not snow related, too. Thanks!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
12/13/10 11:40 a.m.

Every homeowner NEEDS a truck, whether he knows it or not. Get a truck. I like my Chevy C30--I've had it over 10 years--but I admit I've never plowed anything with it. I hear the Ferds are pretty good too.

Snowblower? What is that but an automatic snow shovel? You're still out in the cold and the wind and the ice with snow in your beard.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/13/10 11:58 a.m.

No help with the truck except everyone I know is an automatic.

My driveway is about 200 feet long and I use a two stage 10hp snow thrower. You can put it where you want to, minimal maintenence, and you can get a tent to stand or sit in depending on the model.

I guess it depends on where you are in relation to your neighbors. The guy across the street plows his with his work truck, plows it right into the bank at the end of my driveway. When the town plow comes by all of his snow goes into my driveway. Not an uncommon problem, but gun play is involved in some cases.

A plow truck will be quieter if you're heading out at 5:00am.

Snow throwers can be tossed and forgotten in a shed for the summer.

Yeah, you're right; I'm no help.

Dan

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
12/13/10 12:08 p.m.

Just a thought...

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/13/10 12:23 p.m.

I approve, if for nothing else than it's ratty, it's a subaru (I think?) and it's a wagon.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
12/13/10 12:36 p.m.
mndsm wrote: So here's the deal. Yesterday's snow monsoon in MN taught me something. Shovelling sucks. Not even sorta sucks, really epically sucks. And with me buying a house, it's gonna suck more, because the driveway is all long and whatnot.

How long is long? 100 feet or a quarter mile? Is there room along the driveway to push the snow off, or does it run close by the house or other obstructions? With a blower you can aim the removed snow and distribute it around, with a plow you end up with a big pile of it somewhere.

I'd consider getting a lawn tractor with a blower on it, and then you can use it for sidewalks, too, as well as for mowing the lawn in the summer. For what it's worth, most of the snow plow guys in my area (south Minneapolis) seem to use rusty, 20 year old, Chevys and GMCs. They aren't pretty but they seem to do the job.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/13/10 12:39 p.m.

150-200' maybe? I runs the length of the house, and out into the back to the non-attached but fully wired (and warm!) garage. Biggest problem with the whole lawn tractor thing is, the parcel we're on has a lawn only slightly larger than a postage stamp. Seriously, I'm considering getting one of them fainting goats and using that for lawn maitenance. (Plus when it makes me mad, I can make it fall over, and that's hilarious) I have room to push the snow on either side of the lawn, and I am not directly across from another driveway- so losing the snow isn't a huge deal. I'm probably going to invest in one of them lil snow pup things anyhow, since I can't really run a plow across my sidewalk.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/10 1:11 p.m.

Oh, and don't forget that dirt driveways and snow blowers don't mix well...

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
12/13/10 1:43 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Oh, and don't forget that dirt driveways and snow blowers don't mix well...

says who? My parents have a 1.5 mile dirt driveway they've been snowblowing for 32 years

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
12/13/10 1:46 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Oh, and don't forget that dirt driveways and snow blowers don't mix well...

I think dirt would be fine. Gravel on the other hand...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/10 1:47 p.m.

I was strongly advised against doing that on our driveway as the blower would pick up all sorts of dirt and stones, which supposedly doesn't do it any good.

That said, I've walked across fields that were smoother than several parts of our driveway so I can see that being a bit of a problem.

Of course if snow blowers work fine one dirt driveways I'd have a brilliant excuse to buy one next year if we get a lot of snow...

pigeon
pigeon Dork
12/13/10 1:56 p.m.

Snowblowers have little adjustable skids on the bottom out at the front corners that control the depth of the "bite". For my poured concrete drive mine is down to the pavement. For the year it was gravel I had it up a good 1/2" and didn't pick up much if any gravel.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole New Reader
12/13/10 2:01 p.m.

How about this? It can also double as a ZAV for when the time comes.

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/02/15/1968-mercedes-benz-unimog-snow-blower/

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/10 2:06 p.m.

I removed snow with a tractor mounted plow and snowblower for 30 years. I finally decided that I needed something with a roof and a heater, since I'm often out doing it at 5:30 am.

Here's my $0.02:

Don't bother with a SnowSport plow. They're cheap, relative to a real plow, but you will hate it very quickly. Hydraulics rule.

There are few vehicles better for driveway plowing than a Jeep. Most CJ's that you'd consider plowing with at this point are too rusty for even that. Ratty YJ's can be found now for around $1500 and make perfectly acceptable plow vehicles, so long as your friends don't see you driving it on the street. I spent three years plowing with a four cylinder TJ and I never regretted having a four while plowing. The 2.72:1 transfer case is your plowing friend.

Unless you're plowing commercially, get the smallest, lightest, real (non-SnowSport) plow available. I spend about 350 days per year walking around the plow in my garage and 15 days plowing with it. Don't make things harder on yourself than they need to be.

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
12/13/10 2:07 p.m.

www.plowsite.com

Loads of info there.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
12/13/10 2:22 p.m.

I went to a local used vehicle auction and picked up decent dodge ram with the 5.9 and plow setup for ~$1200. Had it for 3 years, and I've spent maybe another $1000 total on it. Most of that money was to fix rust. Some things to consider, the longer the wheel base the vehicle, the less maneuverable it is while plowing. I have a meyer plow. While quite reliable, it isn't as easy to remove when not in use compared to a fisher Minute mount. Plows just fine. The bonus is like you, I use it for house projects. It also tows my race car. However it kind of sucks that it doesn't have A/C. Standard cab trucks will be fairly cheap, but an extra cab will be far more useful....especially if you ever think you might have a child to tote around. Make sure to put weight in the back of the truck, you'll be glad you did. You are almost always better off buying a truck with the plow already installed. However, make sure you check the frame for rot especially where the plow mounts up.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
589DbA5wxaF98pJicqJzHNH5W8eZcOFazta3bCMz3rdzjoB8jYfZ9tRw81Yk51Q5