1 2 3
carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/15/12 1:01 p.m.

The name says it all, the ingredients are Mac & Cheese.

So why all those recipes like Paula Deen's that call for cheese SAUCE and lots of baking? To extend them!

The real Mac & Cheese is Mac & Cheese with just enough milk/evaporated milk/cream/etc. to make the cheese smooth out and coat every last morsel of Mac.

I was dreaming about good Mac & Cheese when I woke up so that's what I'm having for lunch.

Cook 1 cup of Mac for every 2 people (that's presuming you want a lot or it's your main dish). Put the mac into heavily salted boiling water and let it plump up. I'm not an undercooked, al dente fan, I want mine soft and tender, but I don't want it falling apart.

When it's pleasant to the mouth then you drain the mac and put it back in the pan.

Turn the heat back on down low and add about 1/4 can of evaporated milk (it makes for creamier mix than does regular milk) and a dash of salt. When the milk gets hot stir in the thin slivers of cheese and fold until it melts and covers it all.

That's all there is to it so why all these complicated recipes that just dilute the wonderful cheesyness?

I prefer a sharper cheddar for the best flavor but I sometimes mix some cheeses if I'm feeling wild & crazy.

The boxed stuff isn't fit for human consumption but it is good for serving the in-laws to be sure they'll never come back!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/15/12 1:12 p.m.

When you make a bechamel you bring other texture and flavors to the plate. I do a bechamel, al dente on the pasta (of your choice), and bake in the oven after topping with bread crumbs sauteed in a little oil and butter. A little hot sauce in the bechamel gives a good kick. Salt and pepper to taste.

It's not hard.

Nothing wrong with your method. Very similar to Alton Brown's stove top recipe. Which beats the Blue and Orange box any day!

failboat
failboat Dork
4/15/12 1:23 p.m.

I am a simple man and like the Kraft boxed stuff. If I am feeling fancy I get velveeta shells and cheese.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
4/15/12 1:28 p.m.

What is the deal with Mac and Cheese?

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/15/12 1:41 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: When you make a bechamel you bring other texture and flavors to the plate.

Bechemel Smechemel. Now it's Mac, Cheese & Other Things. (plus it takes longer and isn't quite as cheesy)

I've tried all kinds of ways to cook it. Got real trendy, but at the end of the day everyone seems to like plain old Mac & Cheese the best.

Got a lot of trained chefs in the family and while they cook it with sauces in the restaurants (cause like I said, it's basically an extender recipe) for themselves it's simple Mac & Cheese.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle Reader
4/15/12 1:42 p.m.

I dated a girl that messed up making Easy Mac...3 time. For the love of everything holy, there are only 3 steps and step 3 is EAT!!! Forgetting the water in a microwaveable bowl makes for a smelly house.

Real mac and cheese is the best!

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
4/15/12 2:05 p.m.

The only way to mess up mac and cheese is to not use pepper jack cheese. Duh.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
4/15/12 2:10 p.m.

pepper jack cheese for the win. Everyone has their own particular taste for things. I like Mac and Cheese with some texture, bread crumbs, etc. Actually any mac and cheese will do it. The DFac made some stuff today that was on point.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/15/12 2:55 p.m.

Pepper Jack is good sometimes and garnish with a little chili powder. One spicy alternative I like is to use Rotel and Jack Cheese.

Brie is also surprisingly good. Many of the softer, sweeter cheeses work well. It all depends upon the mood you're in.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
4/15/12 3:10 p.m.

I just made some mac and cheese last night, bechamel using half and half, cheddar in the sauce, and herbed feta on top. I like to stick it under the broiles until the top has crispy spots.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
4/15/12 3:38 p.m.

Way too much work to the OP.

I loves me some Kraft Dinner White Cheddar. mmm mmm! And, it requires no effort.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/12 4:03 p.m.

now I want mac n cheese for dinner

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/15/12 4:06 p.m.

OMFG I NEED MAC & CHEESE NOW

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/15/12 4:10 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: OMFG I NEED MAC & CHEESE NOW

Now you know how I felt all morning~

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/15/12 4:11 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Way too much work to the OP. I loves me some Kraft Dinner White Cheddar. mmm mmm! And, it requires no effort.

Where's the Ban Hammer when you need it?

Boiling water and stirring the pot is too much effort? That's as hard as it gets. OH wait! You do have to cut up some cheese. Real stuff, not that fake powder that comes in the box.

You can buy real cheese at the same store you bought the box at. You'll have to walk a few aisles over which I agree is a lot of extra work.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/12 4:16 p.m.

I buy real cheese.. can't stand the powdered stuff

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
4/15/12 4:18 p.m.

M&C will be on the menu tonight, thanks.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
4/15/12 4:22 p.m.

I usually add chopped up hot dogs into my Mac and Cheese. Its the best

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
4/15/12 4:23 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: You do have to cut up some cheese. You'll have to walk a few aisles over which I agree is a lot of extra work.

Like I said, too much work. Your talking to a bachelor here, if there was bachelor chow like in Futurama...

cwh
cwh UberDork
4/15/12 4:24 p.m.

Hamburgers and mac and cheese for dinner tonight. Decided before reading this thread.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/12 5:01 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: OMFG I NEED MAC & CHEESE NOW

Go here: http://www.chowraleigh.com/

They make very good Mac and Cheese. I add a dash of hot sauce and black pepper to mine.

Duke
Duke UberDork
4/15/12 5:16 p.m.

I use Ruth Reichel's Ultimate Mac & Cheese recipe. It's pretty damn good, though too fancy schmancy for the OP.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer New Reader
4/15/12 5:23 p.m.

I really like baked mac&cheese but I have yet to accomplish it myself. I've been on this stupid low carb crap (doctor ordered for blood sugar reasons) for like eight months now, I'd gladly eat even the Kraft stuff at this point.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
4/15/12 5:27 p.m.

Paula Dean's recipe is berkeleying insanely good. I get it once a year when my sis-in-law makes it at xmas. I get huge pile of leftovers because my nephews won't eat it unless it comes out of a box.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
4/15/12 6:10 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: my nephews won't eat it unless it comes out of a box.

That's ignorant

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1CTU9zZCGqoeAJse8ZbVopB1zl3QO1H1LQuxNjXpebD3kezn8Z3vOZ1s3btkpKgC