1 2
beaulieu
beaulieu New Reader
7/15/08 11:00 p.m.

Just wondering what crazy low prices you have heard on a few year old BIG car

SUVs , Full Size PU or a Hummer ?

The dealers do not want them because they will just sit on the lot !

I have heard of a Loaded Ford Excursion cost $50K cannot get $8K

a full size Hummer that cost $90K plus that sold for $12K

Any other crazy deals ?

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/16/08 3:58 a.m.

I assume you mean new vs. used prices? Boy, watch craigslist for < $2008 vehicles and you could spend hours just documenting horribly depreciated vehicles for one city. Just as bad as big vehicles, IMO, are the luxury cars, especially German ones (Audi!). Maybe that's just a Portland thing, but I'm shocked at how much luxury vehicle you can get for the dollar if you're willing to take a chance on the reliability/maintenance side of things with the Audis.

I haven't heard of any H1 Hummer sold for $12k, I'll believe that one when I see it. I've been seeing prices drop on SUVs and trucks, but not that bad.

Bryce

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/16/08 6:18 a.m.

More like "can't sell it at any price". I know of 2 Dodge Durangos that the owners simply cannot sell. Nobody calls, and the trade-in value is virtually nothing, so they continue to drive their 12mpg pigs.

Meanwhile, we bought a Forester.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/08 6:41 a.m.

I'd posted well over a month ago about a BMW 750IL I'd heard about through a friend. It's a 1-owner, low milage, all dealer maintenance & reciepts car. They can't find anyone interested in it.

Ironically enough, I also posted on here(for a friend of a friend)a Civic drag car that was pretty well setup & sorted for around $1k - he can't sell that one either.

Most regular-folk just don't have money for cars right now.

Ian F
Ian F New Reader
7/16/08 7:00 a.m.

I geet the impression it's the car-sale market in general. Like Pete said, folks just ain't buying right now... good place to be if you are looking for something...

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/16/08 7:03 a.m.

geroge walton on here bought a loaded excursion, leather v10 4x4 etc.. for $6k during katrina times.

slefain
slefain Dork
7/16/08 7:39 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: More like "can't sell it at any price". I know of 2 Dodge Durangos that the owners simply cannot sell. Nobody calls, and the trade-in value is virtually nothing, so they continue to drive their 12mpg pigs. Meanwhile, we bought a Forester.

Yup, the Durango is quite possibly the worst SUV to try and sell right now. Depreciation is worse that GM stock. I see many on Craigslist in my sub-$2500 search bookmark. Funny thing is, my dad wants one. He has a 3 mile commute to work. Hell, they keep dropping in price and I might get him one for Christmas.

I also have seen lots of Lincoln Navigators for less than $5k.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
7/16/08 7:52 a.m.
petegossett wrote: I'd posted well over a month ago about a BMW 750IL I'd heard about through a friend. It's a 1-owner, low milage, all dealer maintenance & reciepts car. They can't find anyone interested in it.

At any given time it seems like there's one or two 750iL's on my local Craigslist for a few thousand bucks. There's one that was on there for a year or so; it kept changing hands and the new owner would immediately put it back up for sale. Finally a friend of mine bought it and parted it out. They're great cars until something breaks, and then they become a black hole you throw money into.

WilD
WilD Reader
7/16/08 7:57 a.m.

Range Rover: I've seen them as new as model year 2000 for less than $6K. A 1998 was listed for $4500 and quickly bought by a shady dealer that marked the price up by $1100 and it has been listed by him since (a month or two).

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/16/08 8:24 a.m.
WilD wrote: Range Rover: I've seen them as new as model year 2000 for less than $6K. A 1998 was listed for $4500 and quickly bought by a shady dealer that marked the price up by $1100 and it has been listed by him since (a month or two).

Ok, gotta speak up here, as my wife and I just bought a 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (to replace our aging '95 RR County LWB). Only the '96-98 (before BMW bought them) Range Rovers and 99-'00 4.0 SE are going for that little money. The 2001-2002 4.6 HSE is still going for 13-15k from private parties and franchised dealers (though you can get higher mile 2001-2002 4.6 HSEs for $10k from a wholesale dealer, you have to have cash on hand to get those prices. You can't finance them right now like you could as late as February of this year.) And people aren't budging on Rover prices, especially if they are in nice shape. The '03 and up (which I'd like to have found for cheap) are still commanding $25-50k, without much wiggle room, as the '03s still look like '08s.

We also looked into Tahoes and Yukons, as well as Navigators. Only high mile versions are going for cheap (I'm talking 130-160k miles) if they are newer than my2000.

My '98 740iL was bought a year and a half ago for $7500, and was a great deal at the time. The same car could be had for about $5-6k right now, but the 750s of the E38 body style are still bringing in higher dollars. The E32 750s are able to be had under $2k, though.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/16/08 8:54 a.m.

A buddy just paid $6500 for a loaded '99 4-Runner that the dealer was asking $11K for.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/16/08 8:54 a.m.

Friends just bought a motorhome, 3 years old, I want to say ~30,000 miles. 31 foot, slide-out, based on a Ford Econoline V-10. $17,000, Blue book is nearly 30,000. They plan on long weekend trips, usually in state, and are well aware of the fuel economy. Heck, I've lived in apartments smaller than that thing.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/16/08 8:58 a.m.

Autoweek magazine had a Suburban as a long term test vehicle. They actually liked it a lot more than they expected, but at the end of one year, it had depreciated something like $23,000.

WilD
WilD Reader
7/16/08 9:14 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: Only the '96-98 (before BMW bought them) Range Rovers and 99-'00 4.0 SE are going for that little money.

Actually, the 2000 listed at $6K is listed as a 4.6 HSE, it does have 100K miles though. Still, that seems very cheap (should be 10-12 by the blue book) compared to prices I was seeing a few months ago for the same truck. The late 90s 4.0 SE trucks are even cheaper, usually in the range of $4-6K. This is Michigan though, and the economy hasn't been great here for a while. The high gas prices are really causing a panic due to the prevalence of long commutes in the Detroit Metro area. Some businesses and local governments have even gone to a four day workweek due to gas prices. Things might not be as bad elsewhere.

I am resisting the urge to go look at the '00 4.6 HSE, there is a distinct danger I would buy it if I did.

wetpossum
wetpossum New Reader
7/16/08 9:31 a.m.

One of my old College prof's went into the Ford dealer to buy a new F-150, and without even negotiating, the dealership offered to knock $12,000 off the asking price of $28,000. He's holding out for a better deal

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/08 9:49 a.m.

My old boss just bought a 2 year old 18k mi Suburban 2500 with the largest engine available for $7500.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/16/08 10:49 a.m.
WilD wrote:
Chris_V wrote: Only the '96-98 (before BMW bought them) Range Rovers and 99-'00 4.0 SE are going for that little money.
Actually, the 2000 listed at $6K is listed as a 4.6 HSE, it does have 100K miles though. Still, that seems very cheap (should be 10-12 by the blue book) compared to prices I was seeing a few months ago for the same truck. The late 90s 4.0 SE trucks are even cheaper, usually in the range of $4-6K. This is Michigan though, and the economy hasn't been great here for a while. The high gas prices are really causing a panic due to the prevalence of long commutes in the Detroit Metro area. Some businesses and local governments have even gone to a four day workweek due to gas prices. Things might not be as bad elsewhere. I am resisting the urge to go look at the '00 4.6 HSE, there is a distinct danger I would buy it if I did.

That's still a rare one, as most of the ones I was looking this past month at at wholesale dealers were higher than that, including the ones in Michigan and illinois (until I found that we were really limited to franchised dealers, private parties, and '01-up with under 70k miles). Higher mileage ones were avaible, 120-160k miles, but our '95 Classic has 130k, and I wouldn't want a newer one with the same miles.

What we ended up with was this one, 64k miles with 2 year warranty, $10k from a private seller (was listed at $14k):

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/69439/3320355b.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/69439/3320355d.jpg

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/16/08 10:49 a.m.
John Brown wrote: My old boss just bought a 2 year old 18k mi Suburban 2500 with the largest engine available for $7500.

Damn. I was looking this whole past month, and I couldn't find a deal like that east of the Mississippi...

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar Reader
7/16/08 12:02 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/69439/3320355b.jpg http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/69439/3320355d.jpg

That's a damned nice-looking truck. You should give your old one to me since they're :ahem: so hard to sell.

beaulieu
beaulieu New Reader
7/16/08 12:18 p.m.

I am waiting for a couple year old full size Chevy-GMC van that someone bails out on because of fuel cost,

no one knows were the gas prices will be , but if you say they will stay at $4 it takes a lot of miles to pay back the $20k you undersold your ride for !

But math was never a prime USA obsession and not many people work out the numbers.....

Beaulieu

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/16/08 2:07 p.m.
beaulieu wrote: I am waiting for a couple year old full size Chevy-GMC van that someone bails out on because of fuel cost, no one knows were the gas prices will be , but if you say they will stay at $4 it takes a lot of miles to pay back the $20k you undersold your ride for ! But math was never a prime USA obsession and not many people work out the numbers..... Beaulieu

exactly. had a guy start posting on one of the mazda3 boards about how he was thinking of getting either a mazdaspeed3 or a new v6 camry to replace his 05 murano. he ended up buying the camry and trading the murano in for 700 bucks less than he owed on it. 24,800 out the door for $175/month gas savings. according to edmunds' gas guzzler trade in calculator, he would have to drive the car for 228,000 miles to get back into the black on that one purely on gas savings

back on track, i've been seeing fullsize trucks, suburbans, etc. 4-6 years old selling for 5-10k depending on mileage and age

Yavuz
Yavuz New Reader
7/16/08 7:18 p.m.

I've got a 2002 Explorer XLT V8 that I've been trying to sell. I've had it up for HALF of the blue book value, and I've maybe gotten all of one or two calls on it. I got a great deal on it myself, so I'm not in much of a rush to sell it, but it's been a giant pain in the ass.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
7/16/08 8:30 p.m.

Around here you can't drive any mile in any direction, on any road, without seing a pickup or SUV with a for sale sign on it sitting next to the road. If I didn't already have 5 pickups I'd be looking, but you have to draw the line somewhere, right?

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/16/08 9:02 p.m.
Nashco wrote: I assume you mean new vs. used prices? Boy, watch craigslist for < $2008 vehicles and you could spend hours just documenting horribly depreciated vehicles for one city. Just as bad as big vehicles, IMO, are the luxury cars, especially German ones (Audi!). Maybe that's just a Portland thing, but I'm shocked at how much luxury vehicle you can get for the dollar if you're willing to take a chance on the reliability/maintenance side of things with the Audis.

Indeed. While shopping for used Honda Fits and the like, I have started stumbling across oddities on my Autotrader "wagons and hatches" search. Like 04 Audi TTs for <$14k. With reasonable miles. That's hard for me to swallow. If maintenance probably wasn't so expensive, I'd be looking long and hard at a TT quattro.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/17/08 12:45 a.m.

When I was looking around a few monthhs ago, I could find at least 3 early durangos at any given time for dirt cheap. But if I wanted to keep pissing away money on gas I could have kept driving my dad's truck.

I have a line on an early 2000's 3 series for around 1-2K and I'm not sure if Uncle Carlos is selling the tahoe yet.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x3EwB7RIm3h2DMlw7ZmAtwgG7IiQphypINPZ7UujJqr1OhJ1EqFe505amphaAhQE