1 2 3 4
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/20/18 7:56 a.m.

Mine is currently 12 ft. but I do go in the office as needed which is 6 miles or so. 

I'm about to take a job that I'll travel a lot more and have a 55 mile commute once a week or so. That'll be more by choice as I'd rather live in Colorado springs then Denver and My client is south Denver suburbs in Centennial. Everything else will be flights. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
4/20/18 7:58 a.m.

Mine is 3 miles. Turn left out of the drive way, go 55mph for 3 miles, turn left again into dealership parking lot.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/18 8:06 a.m.

A bit under 12.5km(7.7 miles) driving distance each way according to Google Maps, takes 30~60 minutes depending on traffic, usually lighter in the morning and heavier on the way back.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/20/18 8:23 a.m.

I work construction, its between 15min and 2 hours.

2 hours is brutal day after day but long drives also include more money

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/20/18 8:38 a.m.
Flynlow said:

Soul-crushing. 

Putting that into a more readily comparable metric, about 35 miles in the greater Philadelphia area (actually DE over the bridge to NJ, for anyone that cares).  At the right time of day it is 40 minutes and the only hazard is the terrible drivers.  On a bad day, the record is 4 hours when a truck overturned right before the bridge and it was too late to exit the highway. 

42 miles in Massachusetts (per your profile) sounds like a lot unless you’re driving straight away from people and towards rural VT/NH.  

Living in the same neighborhood, I concur.  It depends entirely on what everybody else in the area is doing.  I live in a small suburban city about halfway between Philly and Baltimore, with a larger city just north of me - Wilmington, Delaware.

I used to drive 40 miles south from here to work in Havre de Grace, MD, and 40 miles back.  It was more or less a straight shot with about 35 of those miles being on I-95.  It was great because everybody in my neighborhood drove north toward Wilmington and Philly, while everybody in Havre de Grace drove south toward Baltimore.  It was mostly me, a handful of other cars, and OTR truckers at any time of the day.  It normally took about 50 easy minutes one way.

If I was driving 40 miles north across Wilmington to Philadelphia, that would be a minimum of 90 stressful minutes under good circumstances, and it could easliy be 2 hours on any given day.

PS to Flynlow - when are we going to see you come autocross with us, bud?  Our next event is 19 May at Dover Speedway.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/20/18 9:18 a.m.

Mine fluctuates between over 1000 miles and 0 miles. There is a very real cost to commuting though, make sure the new job is good enough to cover the cost.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
4/20/18 9:19 a.m.

I have about a 12 mile commute, about 50/50 city and highway.  Used to be a clear ride in, maybe 15-20 minutes.  Now traffic has increased quite a bit in the am, can take 25-30 now.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
4/20/18 9:23 a.m.

As others have said, it's more a question of time and conditions.  

I drive 75 miles each way, and it takes about an hour and 20 minutes.  Hour and 15 if I really hustle it.  It's mostly interstate, and not heavily congested, but I don't recommend it.  I rack up about 40K per year on my daily driver.

My prior job was about an hour and 5 away from my home (60 miles).  That wasn't that bad, as it was mostly interstate and half backroad highway, with very little traffic.  Anything under 45 minutes of non-bumper to bumper I'd be ecstatic with.  

I've driven an hour+ to work for over a decade now, so I guess I'm kind of numb to it.  Luckily my job is fairly flexible, and doesn't have a firm start/end time, and the pay has been worth it by my justification.  I'm typically away from home about 11 hours/day from the time I leave the garage (7am) to the time I pull back in (6pm).  Your job conditions and hours on site obviously will play a role as well.  

I've strongly considered making career moves that would cut my commute to under a half hour, even if it risked pay cuts, and will likely do so eventually.  I live where I want my family to live, but currently work where I don't want to live. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/20/18 9:31 a.m.

I can't imagine a job or house that makes anything over 30 mins on a good day and 60 mins on a bad bad day worthwhile.  I'd move and or get a different job rather than giving up hours and hours of my life to sit in traffic.  My current commute goes from 22 mins door to door if I leave prior to 6:30am and up to 40 if I leave after 7:30am.  Home takes from 35 on a good day up to an hour yesterday when there was two accidents and emergency roadworks to berk things up.   That hour reinforced my views on longer commutes.  Work to live, not live to work.  It's easy to say moving is hard, but I swapped continents for a better life so my sympathy is low for people who complain about their work/life locations.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/20/18 9:35 a.m.

P.S. I just spent four days in Boston and the surrounding areas last week chaperoning a high school orchestra trip,  The traffic in and around Boston proved once and for all that all electric autonomous cars can't arrive soon enough.  On Thursday afternoon it took 45 mins to get from down town to the hotel at the airport, a distance of 2.6 miles when I checked it on Google maps.  No thank you, no way.

P.P.S.  When I lived in the UK my commute was about 2.5 miles and I used to cycle a lot.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/20/18 9:40 a.m.

Best commute was 6 minutes. Worst was an hour, 45 miles. 

Most of the past 4 years I've had a 45 commute, but that was 5 minute drive, 30 minute train ride, 10 minute walk.

As of this past Monday, it is 18-20 miles depending on the route. My preferred route is 25 minutes in the morning, 80% highway, and about 35-40 in the evening--still 80% highway, but its gridlock for a solid part of it. There are two other routes that are slighty faster, but they include tolls. Nice though that I have about 4 different ways--turn on google maps before I leave and see what is going on.

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/20/18 9:54 a.m.

About 20 miles each way.  35 minutes in normal traffic.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/20/18 10:04 a.m.

What's your commute to work?

Well its the route I take to my place of employment, but that's not important right now. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
4/20/18 10:22 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

It’s not the miles that matter, it’s the traffic. 

42 miles on the freeway with little traffic is about 35 minutes in decent weather an hour in poor.  City or urban traffic can change that to an hour& 1/2 to 2 hours is n decent weather and 3-4 hours in bad weather. 

But cars may not be the most efficient way. Think out of the box.  Trains? What if you drive a little in the wrong direction, is there a nonstop train or bus that will be faster/cheaper?    I’ve a neighbor who has his Helicopter  fly him into town.  Where are landing sites and airports?  

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/20/18 10:47 a.m.

I commute 13 minutes which is about 8 miles. (about half streets and half highway)

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/20/18 10:50 a.m.

25 minutes or about 18 miles. I was closer to 42 minutes and 27 miles for the previous 11 years.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/20/18 10:52 a.m.

Had a few. The worst one was only 14 miles, but it was through the gauntlet of Atlanta's 285 top end. A good day? 22 minutes. A bad day? Over an hour.

Furthest was 56 miles, all highway, no traffic. My old Lincoln Mark VII made it a comfy trip in about 45 minutes door-to-door.

Pure hell was a mix of suburban streets and Atlanta highways. Only 32 miles, but an hour at best and damn near two hours at the worst.

Now I walk across my driveway to my office in the back of my garage. Being self employed has its benefits.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
4/20/18 10:58 a.m.

76 miles to the office then it could be as close as a few miles to as far as 100 miles to the jobsite. 

If I drove a car for the commute I would live a lot closer to the office but commuting on the bike makes it almost bearable.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
4/20/18 12:25 p.m.

22 easy freeway miles for me, takes about half an hour.  Was even better before I bought my new place, about 9-10 miles.  

This is my upper limit, maybe could do 5 minutes more if someone brought me a dump truck full of money.

I would take a pay cut to live within walking or easy biking distance.  If I was 2-3 miles I would bike every day rain, shine, cold, etc and could have two cool cars without the need for a sacrificial winter commuter.  

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/20/18 1:57 p.m.

I work from home some days, but when I go to the shop 40Mi and 35Min 

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage New Reader
4/20/18 7:23 p.m.

Currently it is 9.5 miles each way and takes around 17 minutes.  Half highway, half city streets.

I did a 50 mile each way, 50 minute interstate commute for 2 years... it provides time to settle down mentally on the way home, but it gets old. It eats up a lot of your time and you feel like you are always fueling up the car or planning to do another oil change. Even in a 30mpg car.

Last year, I commuted 325 miles each way and lived in another state during the week (left Sunday night, came home Friday night)... I definitely don't recommend that, but it makes for good stories.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
4/20/18 7:42 p.m.

Now it is 4 miles each way.  Two times a day. Spilt shift morning and PM.  I did work at ATL airport for 12 years.  That was 52 miles one way.  Morning was right at an hour and PM was an hour and a half...sometimes two.  My wife worked there also but we worked different shifts, different days so we were paying close to $100 a week in gas.   I hate to drive pretty much out of our county now.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
4/20/18 8:11 p.m.

I just went from 50 miles each way (1 hour on a good day) to 5 miles each way (10-15 minutes and there are no bad days)

For me, it's a huge issue for many reasons. I don't think I could get enough of a raise to make me go back to commuting 2-3 hours a day. 

Gary
Gary SuperDork
4/20/18 10:10 p.m.

I hate to be a ballbuster, but my daily commute is downstairs from the bedroom to the first floor, whenever I choose to do so, to our sunroom, which is about forty steps, adding a few steps to the kitchen for a cup of Italian Dark Roast coffee. smiley

But before this (around four years ago), I had a fifteen mile commute to work, which I was able to do mostly on back roads. For the most part it was a very enjoyably commute. But I like what I'm doing now a lot more.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
4/20/18 11:34 p.m.

0-65 miles (each way). 

I do IT consulting, mostly in networking, cloud services, and security. When I can work from home, it's great. When I can't and have to travel in to the city, soul-crushing comes close (or would if i didn't drive a Miata...). There are days I'm 2 hours or more in traffic each way. Fortunately, that's about half the time or less now. 

We decided to do this so we could have one parent at home with the kids full time (and homeschooling) and live away from the city where costs are cheaper. The half of my commute closest to home is great. Multiple routes, back roads, lots of options. Closer into the city... not so much. All options suck, unless you drive outside of rush hour (since I get to self-schedule, this what I try to do most of the time, but business hours are business hours, and sometimes you need to be onsite somewhere at 9AM) 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
95rN1a6GE04fncEFSeDTGeDSiTv24GrDqzKN6sXTrp6vruWJYsgW7sdQmUH0DvJV