David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/13/18 10:05 p.m.

Yeah, by now I figured I would have learned that lesson.

For magazine stuff, we shoot with DSLRs. They're the perfect tools for the job. For personal stuff, though, a few years ago I purchased a Canon G15, a pretty nice point-and-shoot. I don't remember exactly when I bought it, but seeing that it came out in 2013 I'd guess around then. It has a fast f1.8 lens, meaning it could outperform an iPhone in low light. 

I have loved the camera for travel. As promised, its low-light performance is spot-on. Even though iPhones have gotten better, the G15 still has a home. It also makes a good backup to the DSLR. Pictures taken with it have appeared in the magazine.

The G15 hasn't impressed me at all when shooting action, though. There's just too much shutter lag.

This past weekend we went to a skatepark contest. I figured I'd just use my iPhone and hope to get lucky. The night before we left, I thought to myself, I wonder if the G15 has some kind of "burst" setting for action. So I downloaded the 300-plus-page manual.

Guess what? It does! And, once again, I'm the dummy. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/13/18 10:12 p.m.

LoL!

If you never read the manual, you can't be a dummy.  Only ignorant.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/18 7:43 a.m.

(That's a T-shirt and I would wear it)

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/18 8:03 a.m.

I have a Nikon AW120 that has the quickest shooting capability of any camera I've ever used. From off to the first shot is  around 3 seconds and doable with one hand. If it's on, the shot happens almost instantly. I bought it because it's waterproof and durable so I could leave my $700 phone in the dry box when boating. It's probably not magazine quality. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/18 8:12 a.m.

FG15! 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/18 8:29 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Holy smokes! That cost twice what my Nikon costs. surprise

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/14/18 9:38 a.m.

This is making me wish I spent the same on a good bridge camera as I did my 2 lens D3300 kit. 

David S. Wallens
12/14/18 9:49 a.m.

Shooting action through a screen vs. a viewfinder still feels weird, too. I feel like I'm doing less composing and more just trying to capture the shot. Still, for stuff like this, it's perfect. 

Here's one shot, and it's sharp/good enough for my needs. It's totally back-lit, through, as I couldn't move the sun or the bowl. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/14/18 10:38 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Yeah, that's the bad part, since you can't easily run external flash units off of them.

But I love the silhouette look of that photo just as well.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
12/14/18 10:56 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

I'm guessing I would have been asked to leave that meeting for suggesting we call it the NFG15.

David S. Wallens
12/14/18 11:48 a.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Yeah, that's the bad part, since you can't easily run external flash units off of them.

But I love the silhouette look of that photo just as well.

Actually, this one has a real hot shoe. I just didn't have a real flash with me. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lsKdL02CQYyUoZLBef7JJzSWFhFmIuKKNrKGcsZ61en0MrjbOLbSK6U1w67qsw7K