1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 ... 228
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/20 10:16 a.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

I'd be mad if someone yelled at me. I personally haven't had that happen though I have gotten a lot of awkward looks. I can't get mad about an awkward look - it's pretty much the only way people look at me. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/29/20 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not mad.  I went on about my business.  I smiled at her.  She could tell, because I was not wearing a mask.

Why did she assault me?  Because she is afraid of something she does not understand.  Why is she afraid?  Because of what she has been told on social media, other media sources, and threads like this.

Fear sucks.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 10:23 a.m.

She was wearing an N-95.  Covering her mouth only, not her nose.

I spend a lot of energy every day to trying to keep my head down and do me.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/29/20 10:39 a.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

That is pretty much what I do.  I don't really go out to enclosed public spaces much or outside at all other than to ride my bikes. Grocery store once a week or so. Local take-out once or twice a week. Thanks to WFH, I go days on end without talking to people in person.  Which the introvert part of me quite enjoys. If wearing a mask makes others feel better, fine.  It's not really something I feel is worth making a stink about, regardless of my personal feelings and understanding of what a mask is meant for.

Other than not drinking PBR, this is pretty much me.  I need an M-1.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/29/20 10:47 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
bobzilla said:
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

I am, however riled by people being riled that I generally choose to not wear one. 

This.

Why you guys so mad about what others think? You don't care what they think of your cars choices right?

I don't care what they think as long as they keep it to themselves. Don't yell across a lot at people you know nothing about. Don't yell at people for not wearing a mask. don't yell at people in general. THAT is what I'm upset with. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/29/20 11:08 a.m.

I have about 2.5 weeks of work left and about 2.5 weeks of vacation days and I still have to pay my 2019 taxes (which due to my poor planning will be nearly as much as one of my paychecks). I am nowhere near panicking over the virus itself, but not looking forward to trying to find new employment at this time. If I do not find anything, I have something I can do this fall for a month and have some income, but no current prospects for July, August or most of September.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/29/20 11:24 a.m.

I am, however riled by people being riled that I generally choose to not wear one. 

These questions, to you, are out of curiosity - why are you generally choosing not to wear one? What does that mean? Are you wearing one when you're within six feet of other people? I care about you wearing one because I care about you, Paul. Our six degrees of separation are probably far enough away that there is no chance of a potential infection from either of us reaching the other (Bobzilla, different story for you on that six degrees, probably, as you live probably about 5 miles from 6 of my relatives). I don't want you or yours to get sick, I don't want the board to lose you as a resource, and I believe that even though it is a very low risk, it is a very real one as well. 

To me, this is a plan for the worst, hope for the best. Wearing a mask is simple. Easy. Effective, in varying degrees, but effective nonetheless. Kinda like a seatbelt.

Not insinuating anyone is or isn't wearing a mask here. I just hope, wish you are. 

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
5/29/20 11:47 a.m.

It would be nice if wearing a mask was easy, but it doesn't pair well with sunglasses, heat and physical labor. If you sneeze you better hope you brought extras. Not to mention that I drink a lot of water during the work day to stay hydrated in the heat. I wear one in the warehouse because the company requires it. Nobody at any of my daily stops wears a mask, except the dealer employees who work directly with customers.

National news would have you believe that our lack of PPE should have people dying in droves, yet we have never been even so much as a blip on the 24 hours news cycle.

Probably a third the people I see with masks are wearing them incorrectly. Over the mouth only, on the chin, etc. I saw one of the corner panhandlers wearing a mask over his beard. Not his face though.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 12:10 p.m.
TopNoodles said:

It would be nice if wearing a mask was easy, but it doesn't pair well with sunglasses, heat and physical labor. If you sneeze you better hope you brought extras. Not to mention that I drink a lot of water during the work day to stay hydrated in the heat. I wear one in the warehouse because the company requires it. Nobody at any of my daily stops wears a mask, except the dealer employees who work directly with customers.

National news would have you believe that our lack of PPE should have people dying in droves, yet we have never been even so much as a blip on the 24 hours news cycle.

Probably a third the people I see with masks are wearing them incorrectly. Over the mouth only, on the chin, etc. I saw one of the corner panhandlers wearing a mask over his beard. Not his face though.

In my experience, when you're doing that kind of work, you're generally not near other people (or at least the general public), and you're often if not usually outdoors - of course, it is possible your future is so bright you wear sunglasses night and day, indoors and out. If so, good for you, you cool cat or kitten. So I'd say probably not necessary or even helpful in those situations. 

As for the people wearing them incorrectly... I'm not seeing it often. When I went to the grocery yesterday, I had it around my chin until I came within 20 feet of the door, when I put it over my nose. When I left, once I was about 10 feet away from the door (already through it), and away from other people, I again removed it. Would you count me in the people not wearing it correctly?

Not commenting on the new cases, as I haven't been into the numbers enough to comment intelligently on them. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 12:17 p.m.

Also... One other thing to note. If you have positive antibodies, I'm of the opinion that you're free to go ahead and do what you want without much concern about getting it or transmitting it. If I had positive antibodies and knew it, I'd be wearing a mask only to set an example- it would be the thinnest, most pointless mask that looked like it was doing something, but in reality is unobtrusive. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
5/29/20 12:19 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 12:22 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

These questions, to you, are out of curiosity - why are you generally choosing not to wear one? What does that mean? Are you wearing one when you're within six feet of other people? I care about you wearing one because I care about you, Paul. Our six degrees of separation are probably far enough away that there is no chance of a potential infection from either of us reaching the other (Bobzilla, different story for you on that six degrees, probably, as you live probably about 5 miles from 6 of my relatives). I don't want you or yours to get sick, I don't want the board to lose you as a resource, and I believe that even though it is a very low risk, it is a very real one as well. 

To me, this is a plan for the worst, hope for the best. Wearing a mask is simple. Easy. Effective, in varying degrees, but effective nonetheless. Kinda like a seatbelt.

Not insinuating anyone is or isn't wearing a mask here. I just hope, wish you are. 

Pretty sure I explained that on the previous page. 

I don't wear one primarily because I am almost never within 6 feet of anyone, and that's pretty easy for me to control. My work is physical, and it's difficult to work with them. 

And the CDC doesn't recommend them.

I wear them when I'm closer proximity to people, but I know the limitations of N-95s, and do not use them for filtration (except for my work, as they are designed)

mtn (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 12:23 p.m.

I don't wear one primarily because I am almost never within 6 feet of anyone, and that's pretty easy for me to control. My work is physical, and it's difficult to work with them. 

I wear them when I'm closer proximity to people, but I know the limitations of N-95s, and do not use them for filtration (except for my work, as they are designed)

Thank you.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 12:27 p.m.

To be clear, I have NEVER told anyone to not wear a mask.

I have only responded to people who consider them to be useful to protect themselves by filtering the air they breath.  They are to protect other people, and don't filter air if worn incorrectly.

But recommendations are to not wear N-95s at all, and to only wear loose fitting face covers.

Thats what we are supposed to be doing.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
5/29/20 12:36 p.m.

Why did she assault me?  Because she is afraid of something she does not understand.  Why is she afraid?  Because of what she has been told on social media, other media sources, and threads like this.

Fear sucks.

Well said!!! 

03Panther
03Panther Reader
5/29/20 12:39 p.m.
03Panther said:

Also, there has not been enough time with this virus for experiments to have found data better than SWAG.

Too many statistics were thrown around early in this almost 200 page thread, and used to support panic... fortunately, I'm blessed to not have to be too concerned. Thanks for the reasonable reply

Why do you think it’s not relevant? Do you think the methodology was flawed?

Also, there has not been enough time with this virus for experiments to have found data better than SWAG (Sophisticated Wild Azz Guess, for any not familiar

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 12:40 p.m.

As for the people wearing them incorrectly... I'm not seeing it often. When I went to the grocery yesterday, I had it around my chin until I came within 20 feet of the door, when I put it over my nose. When I left, once I was about 10 feet away from the door (already through it), and away from other people, I again removed it. Would you count me in the people not wearing it correctly?

That depends.

- If you are wearing an N-95 in public and are not a trained first responder, you are wearing it incorrectly.

- If you are wearing an N-95 with a beard, you are wearing it incorrectly.

- If you are wearing a home made face covering, Bravo. 

- If you touch your mask without washing your hands both before and after you touch it, you are wearing it incorrectly.

- If you don't wash it regularly, you are wearing it incorrectly. 

- If you store it temporarily on top of your head with the inside against your hair, you are wearing it incorrectly.

- If your goal is to filter the air you are breathing, you are probably wearing it incorrectly.

- If you are touching it and adjusting it right before handling my credit card you are wearing it incorrectly.  I don't want to touch your snot.

- If you are wearing it to shield others from exposure to you even if you are asymptomatic, Bravo!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/29/20 12:43 p.m.
mtn (Forum ).  
If I had positive antibodies and knew it, I'd be wearing a mask only to set an example- it would be the thinnest, most pointless mask that looked like it was doing something, but in reality is unobtrusive. 

I think one of those harem veils would be most appropriate for you,  

mtn (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 12:51 p.m.

That depends.

- If you are wearing an N-95 in public and are not a trained first responder, you are wearing it incorrectly.

- If you are wearing an N-95 with a beard, you are wearing it incorrectly.

- If you are wearing a home made face covering, Bravo. 

- If you touch your mask without washing your hands both before and after you touch it, you are wearing it incorrectly.

- If you don't wash it regularly, you are wearing it incorrectly. 

- If you store it temporarily on top of your head with the inside against your hair, you are wearing it incorrectly.

- If your goal is to filter the air you are breathing, you are probably wearing it incorrectly.

- If you are touching it and adjusting it right before handling my credit card you are wearing it incorrectly.  I don't want to touch your snot.

- If you are wearing it to shield others from exposure to you even if you are asymptomatic, Bravo!

By your definitions, I would be wearing it correctly. It is a homemade one - I actually have 3, all the same design - I rotate them in and out and wash them so they don't get used multiple times. They go from the bottom of my glasses to under my chin, and back to my ears (I have a full beard). They have blue shop towels in them as an additional filter, that get replaced not quite every time but almost. I touch the straps, not the mask itself. It doesn't go on the top of my head, it hangs from my neck when I'm not wearing it. And I also am using almost exclusively apple pay nowadays.

I doubt many people are taking the steps I am, but I also don't see the rampant "they're wearing it wrong" that many seem to be seeing. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 12:56 p.m.
03Panther said:
03Panther said:

Also, there has not been enough time with this virus for experiments to have found data better than SWAG.

Too many statistics were thrown around early in this almost 200 page thread, and used to support panic... fortunately, I'm blessed to not have to be too concerned. Thanks for the reasonable reply

Why do you think it’s not relevant? Do you think the methodology was flawed?

Also, there has not been enough time with this virus for experiments to have found data better than SWAG (Sophisticated Wild Azz Guess, for any not familiar

Uh... Wut? (Seriously, what are you trying to say here?)

03Panther
03Panther Reader
5/29/20 12:57 p.m.

The only people that have to be within 6 feet of me, are people that choose to be within 6 feet of me. 

If I had been unlucky enough to be born with a desire to live in an overpopulated area, I would have to put more thought in it. 

But from my point of view, saying a mediocre sneeze guard will protect yourself better than nothing, is like thinking a chain link fence will stop some mosquitos... hey, it’s got to be better than nothing! I heard it online!

I’m not referring to sneeze guards helping others keep from getting sneezed on... just the prevalent “knowledge” the public spreads that it “is better than nothing” for themselves. I’ve actually heard it angrily discussed that face covers are useless, but SN-95’s will filter out the virus!!! They started to get ugly with me when I pointed out that they don’t, and left knowing I was just an idiot. 

03Panther
03Panther Reader
5/29/20 1:14 p.m.

I don’t always understand attempts at humor online... is “Uh... Wut?” an attempt to be funny? Or an attempt to be a be insulting?

i had one member tell me “berkeley you snowflake” cause I recommend not being ugly, and then say he never insulted me !!! Never answered how it wasn’t. 

Anyway, since you asked seriously afterwards, I don’t feel the hamster study to be an accurate correlation, and you said yourself “no perfect.” So we are both somewhat skeptical of the data, we just differ on how skeptical. 

And how any of this affects our daily lives differs considerably. I never meant any insult to you and your info. I’m glad you care about people, and that does show. 

03Panther
03Panther Reader
5/29/20 1:17 p.m.

To be clear, I have NEVER told anyone to not wear a mask.

I have only responded to people who consider them to be useful to protect themselves by filtering the air they breath.  They are to protect other people, and don't filter air if worn incorrectly.

But recommendations are to not wear N-95s at all, and to only wear loose fitting face covers.

Thats what we are supposed to be doing.

This!

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
5/29/20 1:26 p.m.

That's news to the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others

• You could spread COVID-19 to others even if you do not feel sick.
  • Everyone should wear a cloth face cover when they have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store or to pick up other necessities.
    • Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
  • The cloth face cover is meant to protect other people in case you are infected.
  • Do NOT use a facemask meant for a healthcare worker.
  • Continue to keep about 6 feet between yourself and others. The cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.
mtn (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 1:29 p.m.
03Panther said:

I don’t always understand attempts at humor online... is “Uh... Wut?” an attempt to be funny? Or an attempt to be a be insulting?

Not meant to be insulting. Just didn't understand how "Also, there has not been enough time with this virus for experiments to have found data better than SWAG (Sophisticated Wild Azz Guess, for any not familiar" was in any way a response to an actual study, an experiment that while it is not perfect, as I admit, is definitely better than a SWAG - they made a hypothesis, and proved it in a controlled environment. 

1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 ... 228

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
li1xwPlrFAFrQ4Cvwmusp0mMnronMS0iA0ujDl8myNY0jiQVFKQHMpbYyHuQeKwL