1 ... 192 193 194 195 196 ... 211
mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 8:31 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

And with that, I think I'm bowing out of this thread (again?) for at least a week. Adios folks!

Well this didn’t age well

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 8:48 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

And with that, I think I'm bowing out of this thread (again?) for at least a week. Adios folks!

Well this didn’t age well

This thread is like that car crash you just can't take your eyes off of. I have done a much better job of staying out of it, but I do still read it. 

 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/1/20 8:49 p.m.

I don't see how facts can have an agenda or a narrative?

 

Of course someone with a medical background is only going to focus on the medical side of things.  That's his specialty.  I would not go to a seamstress for information about bricklaying.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 8:54 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

Steve, what have I said that you disagree with here?

You are not an expert on the subject, or from what I see, even in the field.You are educating yourself and forming an opinion, that's smart. Other people might have a different opinion, based on the same facts, that does not make them wrong, or you wrong. Your opinion here skews to your agendas, based on your beliefs, and when questioned you assume people are calling it "fake news", etc. That is insulting.

 

There is no "side" that is right or wrong on this, as it's unknown. It is all opinion and speculation.

Some people believe it's the end of the world, some believe it's no big deal. Some people believe in "climate change" some don't. Pro-choice, Pro-life. All opinions, ranting about how one side is true over and over and over, does not make you look educated, it makes you look frantic.

You would probably be surprised on my thoughts, they are probably not too far off from yours, but why does my opinion matter? What does it change? Do you really think any of the 194 pages somehow made anyone act different than they were on page 1? I don't.

 

 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

And that's why I asked who here is an infectious disease expert. So far the answer is no one.

We are getting medical opinions from a Math major/Econ minor. Is that better than a seamstress?

Sidewayze
Sidewayze New Reader
6/1/20 9:05 p.m.

I've been popping in here every now and then to check things out. Some interesting perspectives.  (Just to be clear, watching the US and how it has become the epicenter of this pandemic is excruciatingly disheartening. What a dumpster fire.)

Now reading what some people are saying about the economic and psychological costs of shutdowns is interesting.  But here's how that question comes across, and what it really means.....  If i come to your house and point a gun at your head, how much is it worth it to you to make me go away?   Now, if i go into your neighbor's house and point a gun at their mother, how much is it worth to you to make me go away?

Wash your hands.   Wear a mask when you go into a situation where you might breath on someone else or something they might touch.  If you can't at least do that, this thing will go on for a long time

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/1/20 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

mtn, as far as I have seen, has been reposting information from someone who does know his E36 M3.  And I am thankful for that, as good solid information is nice to come by.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 9:22 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Steve_Jones :

mtn, as far as I have seen, has been reposting information from someone who does know his E36 M3.  And I am thankful for that, as good solid information is nice to come by.

As far as you've seen. It's mtn's opinion that this guy knows his stuff. You're assuming it's good solid information, when it's from "a friend of a friend". That's a problem. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 9:27 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Steve_Jones :

mtn, as far as I have seen, has been reposting information from someone who does know his E36 M3.  And I am thankful for that, as good solid information is nice to come by.

As far as you've seen. It's mtn's opinion that this guy knows his stuff. You're assuming it's good solid information, when it's from "a friend of a friend". That's a problem. 

Send me a private message to connect with me on Facebook. I’ll invite you to the group and you can ask the doctor about his credentials. Numerous board members are already part of the group. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/1/20 9:31 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

In that respect, everything you ever read is just some shiny happy person with an opinion.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
6/1/20 10:10 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
  I would not go to a seamstress for information about bricklaying.

I got a good laugh out of this ^^^  realizing I'm probably one of very few people who have worked as a mason and then as a "seamster" at a bridal salon I owned.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 10:16 p.m.

The GRM forum looks like 4chan. I think panic has officially set in.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/1/20 10:43 p.m.

This week is proof that society is only one hot meal away from utter chaos, and it's only one day in.

I feel like I'm watching Rome burn.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 11:27 p.m.
ShawnG said:

This week is proof that society is only one hot meal away from utter chaos, and it's only one day in.

I feel like I'm watching Rome burn.

 

It is scary, because we’re in it probably more than the average person has ever been involved before. But we have survived Smallpox, Spanish Flu, and Polio; The Civil War, 1968, and the LA Race Riots. Each time, we have been better and smarter for it. We will survive Covid and Justice for George, and hopefully we will be better as compassionate humans for it. 

 

Also, I like Canadian riots better than ours. Yours always involve the Canucks losing the Stanley’s Cup Finals. 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
6/1/20 11:27 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Steve_Jones :

In that respect, everything you ever read is just some shiny happy person with an opinion.

If it is on the internet, sadly, that is probably the case. If it’s on “social media”, it’s almost certain to be the case...

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
6/1/20 11:29 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Now that there is funny!

thats a range of talents ya prolly won’t see real often. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/1/20 11:44 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

You forgot about when we rioted because we couldn't see Guns 'N Roses.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
6/1/20 11:48 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
 

But we have survived Smallpox, Spanish Flu, and Polio; The Civil War, 1968, and the LA Race Riots. Each time, we have been better and smarter for it. We will survive Covid and Justice for George, and hopefully we will be better as compassionate humans for it.

Survived yes. Better, doesn’t seem so. Smarter, yes. More compassionate? Not hardly. I WISH it was, but over all, not what anything I hear or read shows  

Agent K said it best ( to paraphrase ) People can be good, the public, not so much...

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/20 12:09 a.m.
03Panther said:
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
 

But we have survived Smallpox, Spanish Flu, and Polio; The Civil War, 1968, and the LA Race Riots. Each time, we have been better and smarter for it. We will survive Covid and Justice for George, and hopefully we will be better as compassionate humans for it.

Survived yes. Better, doesn’t seem so. Smarter, yes. More compassionate? Not hardly. I WISH it was, but over all, not what anything I hear or read shows  

Agent K said it best ( to paraphrase ) People can be good, the public, not so much...

Well, I’d say that we’ve survived them (assuming you’re talking about my race parts of that), and each time we have improved as a society. Not having slavery is an improvement. Being able to share water fountains is an improvement (although maybe water fountains in general are a bad idea right now?). Most of my white peers that I’m close enough with to know their parents are less racist than their parents. Most of their parents (boomers) are less racist than our grandparents. And most of their grandparents liked Nat King Cole, whose grandparents were probably slaves (just guessing on that last part)

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
6/2/20 2:10 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
03Panther said:
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
 

But we have survived Smallpox, Spanish Flu, and Polio; The Civil War, 1968, and the LA Race Riots. Each time, we have been better and smarter for it. We will survive Covid and Justice for George, and hopefully we will be better as compassionate humans for it.

Survived yes. Better, doesn’t seem so. Smarter, yes. More compassionate? Not hardly. I WISH it was, but over all, not what anything I hear or read shows  

Agent K said it best ( to paraphrase ) People can be good, the public, not so much...

Well, I’d say that we’ve survived them (assuming you’re talking about my race parts of that), and each time we have improved as a society. Not having slavery is an improvement. Being able to share water fountains is an improvement (although maybe water fountains in general are a bad idea right now?). Most of my white peers that I’m close enough with to know their parents are less racist than their parents. Most of their parents (boomers) are less racist than our grandparents.

When did we start having a race discussion? I missed that somewhere. I was referring to your statement that human nature has improved since catastrophes you mentioned. I was not aware that smallpox was a racial situation? I have no clue why you would infer. I mentioned race.

                And most of their grandparents liked Nat King Cole, whose grandparents were probably slaves (just guessing on that last part)

To quote a question differently than I normally would... "UH.... Wut? (I don;t believe yor actually saying most of your white peers great great grandparents were slaves?)

Honesty, from reading your posts, never remember anything about you being black. I don't consider myself white, black, or green. People are people as far as I can tell. All the same in some ways, and all different in some ways. All driven to want to live, take in food and water, and let waste out. Some become horrible people, and some don't.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/20 7:06 a.m.
03Panther said:
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
03Panther said:
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
 

But we have survived Smallpox, Spanish Flu, and Polio; The Civil War, 1968, and the LA Race Riots. Each time, we have been better and smarter for it. We will survive Covid and Justice for George, and hopefully we will be better as compassionate humans for it.

Survived yes. Better, doesn’t seem so. Smarter, yes. More compassionate? Not hardly. I WISH it was, but over all, not what anything I hear or read shows  

Agent K said it best ( to paraphrase ) People can be good, the public, not so much...

Well, I’d say that we’ve survived them (assuming you’re talking about my race parts of that), and each time we have improved as a society. Not having slavery is an improvement. Being able to share water fountains is an improvement (although maybe water fountains in general are a bad idea right now?). Most of my white peers that I’m close enough with to know their parents are less racist than their parents. Most of their parents (boomers) are less racist than our grandparents.

When did we start having a race discussion? I missed that somewhere. I was referring to your statement that human nature has improved since catastrophes you mentioned. I was not aware that smallpox was a racial situation? I have no clue why you would infer. I mentioned race.

                And most of their grandparents liked Nat King Cole, whose grandparents were probably slaves (just guessing on that last part)

To quote a question differently than I normally would... "UH.... Wut? (I don;t believe yor actually saying most of your white peers great great grandparents were slaves?)

Honesty, from reading your posts, never remember anything about you being black. I don't consider myself white, black, or green. People are people as far as I can tell. All the same in some ways, and all different in some ways. All driven to want to live, take in food and water, and let waste out. Some become horrible people, and some don't.

Apologies, I thought your response to my post was referencing the bolded and underlined  part above - that was why I called it out in parentheses. 

I am not black. And I meant that Nat King Cole’s grandparents were probably slaves, just based on the time and place he was born. I was making a comment about how far things could improve in a relatively short amount of time for race relations. 

 

As for society improving with Smallpox, Polio, and the Spanish Flu, we have developed vaccines and advanced medicine into the modern age because of them. We have learned things that we never would have been able to without them. At great, horrible cost, but we are now stronger because of it - assuming the general public will not make up lies about Bill Gates and Autism and 5G anyways. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/2/20 7:12 a.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

Now that there is funny!

thats a range of talents ya prolly won’t see real often. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/20 7:35 a.m.
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/2/20 7:39 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

 

Haven't listend to BNL in a while... great song choice

 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/20 9:11 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

I am making an effort to avoid posting in this thread as much as possible. 
 

Your long responses look really defensive. Pay more attention to the part where I said how much I appreciate the vast amount of effort you have put in, and less attention to the part that hurts your feelings.  
 

Others have explained my position reasonably well, so I won't go much further. We are dealing with a many faceted crisis, and yes posting vast amounts of data only exploring the (largely unknown) medical aspects without considering the other facets fits a particular narrative. Especially when the vast majority of those posts are from one single source (unnamed, but not an epidemiologist)
 

It astounds me how much time some people have spent reading and posting about this issue.  I have a job that they pay me to do that has nothing to do with immersing myself in a pandemic. I'm trying to do my job. It's how I contribute to society.  
 

I don't sit at a computer all day. That may make me less informed, but it also makes me more productive and more valuable. I see the impact of so many people burying themselves in fear and the unknown. My opinion is that the impact is far worse than the problem. The "cure" is worse than the disease. 
 

If you are looking for lots more feedback from me so we can debate, it's not gonna happen. I'm out here doing my job as best as I am able.  And I'm deeply concerned about the corporate suicide mission we all seem to be obsessing about. 
 

Thanks.

1 ... 192 193 194 195 196 ... 211
Our Preferred Partners
VFMnL6HpPaslad3Kl5jzrDYg81fFaJweH0aRDYUoTkjpzv9v71oBurzJBYSBXBiI