1 ... 226 227 228
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/31/20 8:22 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
aircooled said:

I think you really need input on this from someone who is more familiar with what exactly these vaccines do.  I believe with these types of "drugs" their primary method is to create immune reactions without the obvious downsides.  In that case, any downsides would be pretty apparent early one.  From what very little I know, I would expect the biggest worry of failure would be it not lasting as long as they wanted (early trials have already shown anti-bodies).

Since these sound very similar to how flu vaccines work (again with my very limited knowledge) I would expect, worse case, those (very rare in the case of flu vaccines) side effects which generally involve (somewhat ironically) flu type symptoms.  As with the flu, the long term side effects of the virus itself is likely WAY higher then the that of the vaccine.

This sort of vaccine should not be compared with other "drugs" for side effects. An anti-rejection drug is obviously going to be some sort of immunosuppressor which has some pretty obvious potential dangers.  Where I used to work, we had a drug for osteoporosis that strengthened bone (it actually stopped the natural process of destruction of bone).  As you can imagine, weird side-effect could be possible.  The one, rather horrible, and fortunately rare, that scared me a bit was, and I kid you not, the literal disintegration of the jaw bone! (yes, JUST the jaw bone).

Yes, this exactly. 

The big risks with a vaccine are this: 

1. It doesn't work, or it wears off too quickly
  2. An ingredient in it is an unknown allergen
  3. If it is a live vaccine (and there haven't been live vaccines administered commonly in the US in a long time), that it infects first. See the Cutter incident - but we're unlikley to get a live vaccine. 
  4. Injuries from the shot itself- but that could be from anything you use a needle for, it is not a vaccine risk so much as a needle risk. And this is not a big risk, I"m just putting it here.

Correction here, the current MMR vaccine -is- a live virus vaccine. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/mmr/public/index.html

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/31/20 9:06 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

How many upvotes until you are actually recognized as an infectious disease expert on a car forum? 

How many down votes do you need until you stop dropping in here and trying to stir up crap?  I believe you posted almost the exact same thing a few pages back.

If you have something useful to contribute please do.  As noted, previously, no one hear is much of an expert on any of these subjects, but some do have a bit they can draw from. If you want to talk about how ineffective masks are, how non-dangerous this is, how you have no fear, I for one, have no issue with that as long as you present it civilly.  I will agree you might get crap from some (but hopefully just disagreement), but I at least will always defend your right to express it, as long as you do it civilly.  I cannot of course guarantee the same for the "eye in the sky", but it's their world we are just playing in it.

Also as noted previously, we are here just trying to talk though this thing and avoid as much of the filters and BS that are out there as best as we can.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
7/31/20 9:29 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Please show me where I said masks were not effective, or this was not dangerous. I'll wait. 

You assume I said it, why? Me pointing out this is a 200 page thread that is useless is not "stirring up crap". It's pointing out the hypocrisy of only allowing certain opinions stand while deleting others because of "politics"

Everyone should be held to the same set of rules, they're not, and it's ruined this place. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/1/20 12:25 a.m.

You will first have to show me where I said you said that first.

I was just using those as possible topics you might be reluctant to post about (based on your "communicable disease expert" comments)

If you want to talk politics, well, as you are aware, that is not allowed here, and It's pretty obvious to me at least why.  It always turns into a crap show.  I fully admit there are a lot of politics mixed into this topic, but this is not the place for that and I am certain this thread would be totally useless if it was.

And it is stirring up crap because your posts don't say "this thread ignores or suppresses certain opinions because of bias", which is what is apparently your issue, they are sarcastic comments about people here thinking they are infectious disease experts.  I fail to see how those are in any way related.

BTW - I do not disagree there are some issue here with what is "allowed" or what "slides by".  I fully agree there should be equal treatment (which honestly can be difficult). It IS a car forum though, so anything not car related could reasonably be called "not allowed".  This is not the town square, this is a privately held "property".

Please just let us use this to explore what is going on, I think it a reasonably valuable resource for some.  Your comments have not been informative or helpful.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/1/20 1:17 a.m.

This whole thread is for entertainment purposes only right? I hope nobody is using this as a primary information source on the disease.

Wash your hands. Don't pick your nose.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/1/20 2:42 a.m.

alright, I think we're going to give this thread a timeout until Monday morning

edit: it's monday morning, so I've unlocked the thread.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/3/20 11:11 a.m.

I don't think this thread is a good thing for anybody right now. Let's put it to bed. 

1 ... 226 227 228

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
JyezKugKKB4eBFrRJNtnIRbOfZ9mJ1GfAwMgYGH25RJFuaUahzjmNYbm6VgB4Yzi