1 2 3 4 5 ... 228
Toebra
Toebra Dork
2/25/20 8:24 a.m.

From a practical standpoint, to people here, the Earth is the center if the universe

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/25/20 9:07 a.m.

The time to panic is when the water shutoff valve will not turn, and your toilet is clogged, and the bowl won't stop filling despite your trying to shut if off from the tank. 

I don't think that changes based on what virus is running around. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/25/20 9:14 a.m.

The time to panic is never.

None of us are getting out alive. Sit back and enjoy the ride for all it's good and bad.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/25/20 9:46 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Wally :

I'm a practical sort of person.Since the virus seems to affect middle age 30-50 males mostly.  I'm relatively comfortable with the risks involved. Nearly 8 billion people in the world,  less than 3000 dead. I stand a far greater chance of winning the lottery than dying from the Coronavirus.  

In proper Alanis Morissette fashion, I'll probably combine the two and collect my Powerball win on the same day I'm diagnosed with Kungflu.

But seriously, we were planning a trip this summer to the Phillipines.....then at the coronavirus spread we considered the Bahamas.  Got kinda serious about a trip to Italy (oops).  Now I'm lobbying for South Padre Island.  It would be extra super annoying to either have a trip canceled due to quarantine or get there and THEN get caught up in a quarantine.

My house is always ready for a couple of weeks without outside food supplies.  If you have any delicate medical needs that you can't live without (insulin, heart medicine, dialysis treatments, etc) this would be a good time to review your backup plan.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/25/20 9:50 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

What's wrong in Italy?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/25/20 9:52 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Eh... prep as if you would for a blizzard if you have to, but in countries where they actually treat the disease it's nowhere near as bad as China.

There is no treatment for Coronavirus.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/25/20 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

They just announced it's the latest country to get a Covid-19 outbreak.  Kinda near where we were thinking of going. 

And our traveling party will include 2 senior citizens and one very young child, just the wrong thing to have to deal with on a "relaxing" family trip.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/25/20 10:03 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Ah.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
2/25/20 10:14 a.m.

I'm loving the Politically Incorrect slang terms for the virus:

"Kungflu"

"Flutang"

It's now officially called "COVID-19"  which sounds scary, but not nearly as scary as the 2014-2016 EBOV outbreak in West Africa that killed nearly half the people infected (28,000 cases). 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
2/25/20 10:15 a.m.

No need to be concerned at all, let alone paic. Rush Limbaugh just cracked this whole 'coronavirus' case wide open...Apparently it's just the common cold being weaponized against Trump.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/25/20 10:59 a.m.

Ugh, the flu-Tang outbreak in Italy is already causing some mild panic in Budapest.  People are out and SHOPPING!

I live in a small farming community so we're not really affected yet, but if the shelves are emptying in the capitol then it's only a matter of time before that happens here.  We ended up buying about 4-weeks of dry/canned goods and toilet paper to get us through any rough times where "panic" starts emptying the local shelves.  I was thinking it might be worth it to go back and pick up some soap/hand sanitizer as well.

As far as the virus, I'm "mildly concerned" as I have a 4 and a 7 year old at home and I'd rather them not get sick.  Eastern European medicine is "effective".  It's not "comfortable" or even "quick" at times laugh

Good times

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/20 11:52 a.m.
z31maniac said:

I'm more worried about the flu. 

And I'm not worried about the flu. 

Unless you have an auto-immune disease like my girlfriend, there really isn't any reason to panic over it.

I have an auto-immune disease.. and I am not worried about it. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/25/20 11:55 a.m.

I have a confession:  I've already panicked!  I sold half of my beloved AMD stock a few days ago while it was still in the mid-50's. It's been a good run.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/20 12:14 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I stay 100% vested no matter what and I lost $81,859 yesterday.

I’m enjoying the sense of calm from being 55 and having been to this movie several times before…it always has a happy ending; just roll with it.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/25/20 1:24 p.m.

People in Newfoundland are still suffering from SARS.

Reports say there's been two sar backs and one sar knee.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/25/20 1:43 p.m.

My only question is do I buy more stocks today or tomorrow. I just started the transfer from my PayPal account to vanguard so I guess I'll wait until that completes. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
2/25/20 1:48 p.m.

Image result for don't panic

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
2/25/20 1:49 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

Sweet and sour sicken.

06HHR
06HHR Dork
2/25/20 1:54 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Yeah, i'm afraid to look at my 401K.  As you said, just roll with it, anything you try will just make the pain worse.  Carrying a towel is good advice, maybe a container of disinfectant wipes as well as rubber gloves?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/25/20 1:56 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I have a confession:  I've already panicked!  I sold half of my beloved AMD stock a few days ago while it was still in the mid-50's. It's been a good run.

Oh, dude, NEVER fold when the market goes down unless you will literally - literally - die without that cash in hand this very minute.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/25/20 2:03 p.m.
Duke said:
1988RedT2 said:

Oh, dude, NEVER fold when the market goes down unless you will literally - literally - die without that cash in hand this very minute.

Hey, I know about all that.  It's just that I bought this thing years ago for 10 bucks a share.  Almost took my profit at 30 bucks a share.  Next thing I know, it's knocking on the door to 60.  Why shouldn't I sell half, have a nice gain, and play with the house's money?

RX Reven'
2/25/20 2:03 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

My guess is that the market will decline further before it turns around as we’ll probably see adverse global GDP effects out to at least the end of Q2.

I don’t sell regardless of how scary the situation is but buying is a different matter.

You could hedge by shorting cruise lines with half of the money if you really want to get in now.

RX Reven'
2/25/20 2:09 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/25/20 2:09 p.m.
Duke said:

Told my MIL this very thing about 10 years ago but apparently, I don't know anything.

A few months later she was wanting to sue her investment people for "losing all her money".

RX Reven'
2/25/20 2:17 p.m.
06HHR said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

Yeah, i'm afraid to look at my 401K.  As you said, just roll with it, anything you try will just make the pain worse.  Carrying a towel is good advice, maybe a container of disinfectant wipes as well as rubber gloves?

1 2 3 4 5 ... 228

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
EcRL58vrnlqKFDAGCRXNJDtlqGjQCKwmWHTxOQ8E0oR4we7r0RcqcyjtykY7LzFV