1 2 3
dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/18/18 9:27 a.m.

Cayenne pepper would be more awesome, but might also be more likely to result in criminal charges. I think the glitter is perfect.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/18 9:35 a.m.
stroker said:

Alas, the "molecular acid" from Alien isn't available...

There are things just as terrible or even worse, like hydroflouric acid just off the top of my head.

GameboyRMH
12/18/18 9:36 a.m.
dculberson said:

Cayenne pepper would be more awesome, but might also be more likely to result in criminal charges. I think the glitter is perfect.

Glitter's not totally safe either, if it gets in your eyes for example.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/18/18 9:40 a.m.

Where does that guy live? If I were him I would move to a better neighborhood before I spent all the effort and money to play a joke on theives.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/18/18 9:57 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I don't think it was the same house each time.  Looks like it was placed at friends places and whatnot.

GameboyRMH
12/18/18 9:59 a.m.

I thought it was interesting that all the thieves had decent new cars and decent houses. Are they kleptomaniacs or people who are up to their eyeballs in debt?

stroker
stroker UltraDork
12/18/18 10:03 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I thought it was interesting that all the thieves had decent new cars and decent houses. Are they kleptomaniacs or people who are up to their eyeballs in debt?

Just shiny happy Bob Costas, every one. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/18/18 10:10 a.m.

I'm surprised none of the thieves didn't destroy it after it went off.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/18 10:22 a.m.

His house will certainly be vandalized, or worse, in the next couple of days when the package thieves see this video.

No Time
No Time Dork
12/18/18 10:22 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
stroker said:

There are things just as terrible or even worse, like hydroflouric acid just off the top of my head.

Based on another thread, fill it with German roaches. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/18/18 10:38 a.m.
dculberson said:

It used to be that stealing a man's horse got you hanged.  

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
12/18/18 11:03 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Just came to post that, it was hilarious. However, it would be more environmentally-friendly AND annoying to put something biodegradeable in there in place of metallized microplastics AKA glitter. Nothing he puts in there will rot while it's in there considering the turnaround time. So what exactly might be a better substitute? Shredded fish bits? Chopped onions maybe?

Ammonium carbonate...AKA Baker's Ammonia. The ultra-fine powdery texture of flour combined with the intensely putrid and eye watering aroma of concentrated piss.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/18/18 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

I was just wondering if powdered cat pee existed. Combine with a rainy day or sweat from running around stealing package and profit. 

stroker
stroker UltraDork
12/18/18 11:05 a.m.
No Time said:
GameboyRMH said:
stroker said:

Based on another thread, fill it with German roaches. 

<Golf Clap> No Time wins the Internet for today!

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
12/18/18 11:40 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Just came to post that, it was hilarious. However, it would be more environmentally-friendly AND annoying to put something biodegradeable in there in place of metallized microplastics AKA glitter. Nothing he puts in there will rot while it's in there considering the turnaround time. So what exactly might be a better substitute? Shredded fish bits? Chopped onions maybe?

Coyote Urine (the stuff they sell for keeping rabbits or deer out of gardens) or fish sauce. Have something puncture the bottle when the trap is sprung so when the contraption spins around, it slings the liquid onto everything.

You'll never get the smell out of upholstery and it takes days to get the smell out of your skin.

Failing that, one of those dye packs that banks use to color sacks of money for bank robbers. It takes days for it to wash off and it'll recolor the interior of the car permanently. You're unlikely to be charged with booby trapping property (which is actually a pretty serious criminal offense) as you didn't do any real harm to the perpetrator.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
12/18/18 11:58 a.m.

Ground cayenne pepper in the glitter. Enough to make the perp sneeze.  Maybe flour for the spinner?  

I live the toroidal cloud of glitter in the slow mo shots. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/18/18 12:21 p.m.

@mtn: I had to watch it again, and I think you're right that the people and reactions are genuine. I just hadn't heard of Mark Rober before.

This is certifiably genius. He's already up to almost 9 million views, I bet this is his highest viewed video eventually and he'll be barraged with requests to buy these devices.

GameboyRMH
12/18/18 12:21 p.m.
The0retical said:

Failing that, one of those dye packs that banks use to color sacks of money for bank robbers. It takes days for it to wash off and it'll recolor the interior of the car permanently. You're unlikely to be charged with booby trapping property (which is actually a pretty serious criminal offense) as you didn't do any real harm to the perpetrator.

When I first saw that the thing released glitter in an article headline photo, I actually assumed it was an "antitheft glitter" I'd read about a few years ago where each flake in a pack has a tiny marking on it that's unique to that pack.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/18/18 12:25 p.m.

Instead of a glitter bomb - or in addition to a glitter bomb - an old car airbag set to go off when the package was opened would be fun. Incredibly dangerous, but fun.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
12/18/18 1:06 p.m.
The0retical said:

Coyote Urine (the stuff they sell for keeping rabbits or deer out of gardens) ...

... is available in a spray bottle for trappers, or tinkerers.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
12/18/18 1:10 p.m.
dculberson said:

I have to agree with this point. As much as i like the idea of arming it with ninja stars and donkey semen i really wouldnt want to end up sued or in jail for it.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/18 1:20 p.m.
dculberson said:

He's already up to almost 9 million views, I bet this is his highest viewed video eventually and he'll be barraged with requests to buy these devices.

He has videos with 100M views. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/18/18 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

99M views in 3 years versus, as of right now, 9.8 million views in 23 hours. I'll stick to my claim - it'll be his highest viewed video eventually.

GameboyRMH
12/21/18 11:18 a.m.

Update: Turns out that when the video was first uploaded, it did include footage of some staged reactions:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/21/viral-glitter-bomb-video-fake-mark-rober/

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/22/18 9:35 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

More fake news. Some of the theives reactions make more sense knowing they were essentially paid actors. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Go9KnBnOIYH7NitQYflqSDz5Pn0Ci7JOuRMoQ8eAuIR1FDyklip8R0vAFXYbjqlg