1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/20/13 1:40 p.m.

This is certainly a contender:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/20/world/meast/israel-obama-limousine/

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
3/20/13 2:31 p.m.

I DO wish the media would stop saying it was putting diesel in a gas car...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
3/20/13 2:41 p.m.

It's a conspiracy!

And I object vehemently that this is a political thread!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/20/13 3:05 p.m.

Spokesman?

"That's why we bring different multiple vehicles," Donovan said."

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
3/20/13 3:22 p.m.
Woody wrote: Spokesman? "That's why we bring different multiple vehicles," Donovan said."

Uggghhhh

Yes, we bring multiple, multi million dollar limos so when we screw up, we only embarrass the entire country.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
3/20/13 3:48 p.m.

We should save money by insisting on exclusively using rickshaw transport. Especially while in the US.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
3/20/13 4:30 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Limos? You realize BOTH "Airforce 1" 747's go to wherever the president flies? To be both decoy and back-up.

Wally
Wally UltimaDork
3/20/13 4:42 p.m.

They should do what we do at work. If you have a diesel vehicle the fuel card won't work at a gasoline pump.

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
3/20/13 4:50 p.m.

I'm pretty sure they don't fill up at the local Speedway.

Sucks to be whoever stuck the wrong nozzle in the tank. I'm guessing there is a position for him counting penguin poop in Antarctica.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
3/20/13 5:04 p.m.

Was this the same dumbass driver?

nocones
nocones Dork
3/20/13 5:15 p.m.

The reporting on Diesel vs gas is actually pretty good.. Such a change of pace compared to most pieces like this..

Diesel engines differ from gas engines in the way the internal combustions are created to drive the pistons. Diesel engines utilize compressed air to generate heat that causes the fuel to ignite. Gas engines ignite fuel using spark plugs.

Using gas instead of diesel could cause major damage to the pistons, wrist pins and connecting rods, which would be destroyed if the fuel is ignited at the wrong time.

Gasoline is also less viscous than diesel, which acts as a lubricant for the fuel pump and fuel delivery systems. Those parts could also be destroyed if gasoline is pumped into a diesel engine.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
3/20/13 5:50 p.m.

Um, why didn't they fill it before they left the states ? Or maybe he did.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' HalfDork
3/20/13 7:09 p.m.

Let’s provide a link to this article whenever someone accuses the government of operating some super sophisticated maniacal program.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/20/13 8:10 p.m.

I thought we always brought our own special secure fuel to foreign countries for the super limo thingy.

Maybe only for locales without secure fuel?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
3/20/13 8:11 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I DO wish the media would stop saying it was putting diesel in a gas car...

You do realize the presidential limo is diesel, right?

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
3/20/13 8:14 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I DO wish the media would stop saying it was putting diesel in a gas car...

You do realize the presidential limo is diesel, right?

Yes. Which is why it's annoying that they think it's gasoline powered...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
3/20/13 8:26 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I DO wish the media would stop saying it was putting diesel in a gas car...

You do realize the presidential limo is diesel, right?

Yes. Which is why it's annoying that they think it's gasoline powered...

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/20/13 8:27 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I DO wish the media would stop saying it was putting diesel in a gas car...

You do realize the presidential limo is diesel, right?

Yes. Which is why it's annoying that they think it's gasoline powered...

"...after its driver refueled it using gasoline rather than diesel fuel..."

If you say so.

Wally
Wally UltimaDork
3/20/13 8:37 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Um, why didn't they fill it before they left the states ? Or maybe he did.

It's probably cheaper to fill up in the middle east. I always try to wait until I leave New York to fill up for the same reason.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
3/20/13 10:05 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: "...after its driver refueled it using gasoline rather than diesel fuel..." If you say so.
the Telegraph wrote: He said he had "no idea" whether diesel fuel had caused the limo to break down, adding that towing and repairs costs could only be established after an assessment of the damage.
the Daily Caller wrote: called “The Beast” — broke down in Israel after it was filled with diesel fuel by mistake.
AFP wrote: Some Israeli media reports suggested that the car conked out after it was filled with diesel fuel rather than gasoline, but
Business Insider wrote: President Obama's limousine, the armored vehicle known as "The Beast," broke down today at Ben-Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv, Israel, after being wrongly filled with diesel instead of gasoline.

I --do-- say so

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
3/20/13 10:13 p.m.
RX Reven' wrote: Let’s provide a link to this article whenever someone accuses the government of operating some super sophisticated maniacal program.

this is just a cover- they did it on purpose to confuse people into thinking that they are less smart than they are..

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/20/13 10:14 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Sorry, I thought we were talking about this thread and the article it linked to. I see, now, that CNN is right but "the Media" is wrong.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
3/20/13 10:14 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: In reply to tuna55: Sorry, I thought we were talking about *this* thread and the article it linked to. I see, now, that CNN is right but "the Media" is wrong.

Oh come on, don't be like that.

I agree, it was weird that CNN was one of the only ones that got it right. (So did Fox News).

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/20/13 10:18 p.m.

Hell, I'd have agreed with you about "the Media" ages ago if I realized "they" were the Telegraph and the Daily Caller. No idea what an AFP is - or the Business Insider. I think we're all in agreement now. Crappy media is crappy. However, mainstream, it is not.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
3/20/13 10:34 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Hell, I'd have agreed with you about "the Media" ages ago if I realized "they" were the Telegraph and the Daily Caller. No idea what an AFP is - or the Business Insider. I think we're all in agreement now. Crappy media is crappy. However, mainstream, it is not.

Oh I forgot, you're Mr.-Media-Is-Awesome man.

The news media, overall, sucks. At pretty much everything!

OK, back to the Beast being on the wrong fuel. I seriously wonder how it happened. I doubt we'll ever know. I am surprised it isn't as controlled as the food the guy eats, frankly, a pretty big vulnerability.

1 2
Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
7zmhq0rzAJ1xbZYLW7Grd2ibWW7I1uZl71PGhMOIAwNi6w9Prd87v8cqs3ktKyKd